Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:40 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2004 Silverado Z71 Cruise Control not working?

Old December 21st, 2009, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled it in the garage and unhooked the battery and let it sit overnight. Then I hooked the battery back up and everything started working like it should. Thanks for the tip.
Old February 9th, 2010, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

I had a similar issue in case it happens again. I have a remote start security system, and the when it was installed, they used a T splicer to tie into the break sense. It was installed wrong and had cut almost all the way through the wire. The wire then broke all the way and boom, no brake sense. Without that the cruise control wouldn't work.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

i have a 04 silverado as well and cruise just stoped working. dont have any LED's. brake lights are good. cant tell if its the switch or if its the module? i also have an aftermarket remote start could it be something with that

Last edited by rebellionoffroad; July 2nd, 2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old July 4th, 2012, 12:44 PM
CF Beginner

It very well could be the remote car starter. It cost me a couple $$ to have the dealer find it. I would suggest taking it to were you had the remote car starter installed. If they won't fix it trace the wires yourself and replace all connectors that they used to install it. Option 3 take it to the dealer. Make sure you check your fuses 1st I guess.
Old May 18th, 2016, 7:25 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Default Lmao

Originally Posted by baker11
New here....actually came to this forum for this topic!

I was having the EXACT same problem you were in my 04' stepside z-71 cept it happened i went and did a little mudding....

Then my headunit started acting funny, it wouldnt turn off after i had turned my truck I had to manually turn the head unit off.

So i proceeded to tear out my head unit and i traced my problem to the scosche wiring harness that i had....unplugged everything and put everything back together and then my cruise started working again.

While im not for sure it was that, that was making my cruise not work, it might be worth looking into.
Lmao thank you went mudding the other day and gave her hell and got on the highway hit cruise and nothing happend looked it up and my stereo is out right now moved wires and bam it worked lol that's funny same **** diff place haha
Old June 2nd, 2019, 6:21 AM
EdH
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by earixson86
so no one knows how to fix this or has any ideas
right
Old April 12th, 2023, 8:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default Cruise Control Not Working Chevy Silverado

I understand your concern with the cruise control not working on your 2004 Silverado Z71.
Here are some common causes of cruise control issues and steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem:
  1. Fuses: Check the fuses related to the cruise control system in the fuse box. Refer to the owner's manual for the specific location and identification of the fuses.
  2. Brake Lights: Ensure all of your brake lights are functioning correctly. A faulty brake light can cause the cruise control to disengage.
  3. Brake Light Switch: Inspect the brake light switch, which is located near the brake pedal. This switch is responsible for disengaging the cruise control when the brake pedal is depressed. If it's faulty or not adjusted correctly, your cruise control might not work.
  4. Clutch Pedal Position (CPP) Switch (for manual transmissions): If your vehicle has a manual transmission, ensure the CPP switch is functioning properly and adjusted correctly. This switch is responsible for disengaging the cruise control when the clutch pedal is depressed.
  5. Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS): The VSS provides the necessary speed input to the cruise control system. If it's faulty or providing inaccurate readings, your cruise control might not engage. You can use an OBD-II scanner to check for any related error codes.
  6. Cruise Control Module: The cruise control module manages the overall system. If it's faulty, the system may not engage. This module is typically located under the hood, and you may want to inspect it for any signs of wear, corrosion, or damage.
  7. Cruise Control Servo: The servo is responsible for maintaining the set vehicle speed by adjusting the throttle. If it's not functioning correctly or there is a vacuum leak, your cruise control might not engage. Check the vacuum lines for any cracks or leaks and inspect the servo for any visible damage.
  8. Steering Wheel Controls: Inspect the cruise control switches on the steering wheel for any wear or damage. A faulty switch can prevent the system from engaging.
  9. Wiring: Inspect the wiring and connections related to the cruise control system for any damage, corrosion, or loose connections.
If you're unable to diagnose the issue after checking these components, it might be best to consult a professional mechanic or take the vehicle to a dealership. They'll have the necessary tools and expertise to diagnose and fix the problem.

I recommend checking out this comprehensive article on "Cruise Control Not Working Chevy Silverado| A Complete Guide To Usage & Troubleshooting." This guide will walk you through the process of using your Chevy Silverado's cruise control system and provide detailed troubleshooting steps to help you diagnose and fix any issues you may encounter. Click the following link to read the article: Cruise Control Not Working Chevy Silverado| A Complete Guide To Usage & Troubleshooting

Good luck, and I hope you get your cruise control functioning again soon!

Best regards,
Steve Kinser