Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

The 2005 HD dash tap

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2012, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The 2005 HD dash tap

Hi all, I have a 05 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 std cab long box auto tranny I bought brand new!! 94kmiles currently.

Heres my problem, been happening since 12,000 miles.
I will be driving along and almost all interior power shuts off. Dash lights, blower motor, wipers, mirrors, seats, door locks, courtesy lights. They all lose power. I tap the dash just above the radio and all power returns. Often several taps to get power back. Seems to help if I have the blower motor turned to high., helps to know when it comes back on for sure.

This has been a very frustrating problem for several years. Had it in twice under factory warranty and they could not reproduce the problem. Both times I picked it up and it happened within 5 miles of leaving..

One guy i talked to said its the bcm. Any thoughts. My aftermarket warranty expires in 6k miles or a month and I would really like to figure this out. Any help would be great!!!

I have had all the grounds checked at my local repaiur shop a couple times. Cant nmake it happenby wiggling wires behind the dash . Just so frustrating. One last thing, when it happens full power is giving to my brake controller box. Causing immediate trailer brake lockup.

Thanks in advance for any help !!

Chuck
Old June 4th, 2012, 2:47 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 05batterychuck,

I'm sorry to hear of this issue with your vehicle. There most likely is a short somewhere. Unfortunately, it can be difficult for a dealer to diagnose a problem if they cannot duplicate it. You stated that you can get the power to come on when you tap the dash. Will the opposite occur? If you tap the dash, will you lose power?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old June 4th, 2012, 7:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell them to find the short and stop trying to make it happen
Old June 5th, 2012, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never can I make it happen by giving the dash a tap. It had happened by giving the dash a tap but I cannot reliably "make" it happen. Sometimes it happens when you push the window button, either side. I live on a dirt road, real bumpy at times and that does not make a difference. It'll happen on the smoothest road out there, no bumps required. You think it's in the dash? Where is the BCM located on my vehicle? Thanks for any info!!

Chuck
Old June 5th, 2012, 9:11 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most are near fuse box or center dash I think mine is in Eng bay idk ill look at all data for I need Vin letter like 7th one
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:02 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 05batterychuck,

I was suggesting a possible short, that's why I asked if you could duplicate the problem. You may also consider having the fuses checked and having grounds cleaned. The BCM on a Silverado is located just beneath the steering column. I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an inspection.

Louis
GM Customer Service