Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommend a replacement Distributor?

Search this Thread

Old March 4th, 2008, 1:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommend a replacement Distributor?

I have a 1992 Silverado 1500 with a 5.7L engine. I want/need to replace the distributor and have been looking at several different brands. The engine is the original with about 176xxx miles on it. I don't want to go performance yet until I replace the engine.

I also don't want to get reman either. So I guess that would put me between 2 to 3 hundred dollars for a new distributor. Is there any brands anyone could recommend? The 2 I was looking at was MSD and Accel. There are some other brands that I don't know the reps of and therefore reluctant to consider.

I have to admit, I'm a noob with 4 wheeled vehicles, but can work on sportbikes (and computers) without hesitation. As for driving, I can just about drive anything from an armored car to motorcycles.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old March 4th, 2008, 3:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommend a replacement Distributor?

I put a mallory unilitein an old ford I have and have had no problems, but my current chevy is stock.
Old March 5th, 2008, 6:55 AM
CF Active Member

There really isn't a need to spend $300 on a distributor, if the motors stock especially. I'm guessing it's an external coil distributor? To be honest with ya a good NEW Delco not (remaned distributor) is about the best, unless your gonna go with a higher voltage coil and better msd wires and what not. I would think a good Delco would run around $130? Hell even like a jeg's or summit brand are good too, and much cheaper. If you don't know much about 4 wheeled vehicles, you do know theres more to changing a distributor than...just changing it right?
Old March 5th, 2008, 1:29 PM
CF Junior Member

I knew there would be more than just the Distributor especially if I was going to put on an After Market performance part. I know that I would have to also change other things in order for that part to perform at it's peak. I just didn't want to go with a NAPA, Autozone, CSK unknown brand and have to wonder about the life and quality of the part (kinda like buying a TV from S-Mart).

Like my computers and (when I used to own) motorcycle, I am willing to spend money for quality parts or when I cook, I'll spend more money for quality ingredients than sacrifice quality for economy. I research the heck out of something and when it comes time to purchase it, I'm confident that I'm getting something good and that'll last.

As far as changing out the distributor, I have a friend that is ASE certified and usually I get him to do the work so that the next time, I know that I can do it myself (with him watching to make sure...).

I looked at that Mallory distributor and it looks like I'll need to add other parts to have it work in my truck. I was thinking more of a part that would be an OEM replacement but slightly better.
Old March 6th, 2008, 12:27 AM
rms
CF Junior Member

1-800-230-3030 Summit. Has an Accel distributor that is an OE replacement for 165.95. part number ACC-49106. They have several others but I have used this one and it worked well.
Old March 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I would safely assume that I'll also need to replace the coil as well, correct?

Old October 6th, 2013, 12:00 AM
CF Beginner

yes i know alot about cars and i have a after market that i pulled out of my street car was worry if i changed it what would it do to the comp. system