Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Silverado radio/cd player issue.

Search this Thread

Old November 5th, 2010, 10:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Silverado radio/cd player issue.

So I have an 05 Chevy Silverado and the radio is having issue's.

Main issue to me in the CD won't eject from the player. The button just doesn't respond. The cd thats in, plays. It skips but I think thats just the disk. The eject button just wont respond, Ive tried different incriments of holding it down and tapping it. Nothing.

Secondly, the presets won't work. I've got the number 1 button to program, but the rest won't. I don't understand it, they function. But won't allow it to save the presets.

I bought this truck used and have no manual for it. Am I missing some kind of trick?

Thanks guys.
Old November 5th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
the buttons are probably dirty or gummed up, you could try a can of air duster to see if you can blow out any debris...
or maybe a shot of electronics parts cleaner, but be very careful as they can be a very aggressive degreaser and could dry out or discolor the plastic...
or perhaps 10% isopropyl alcohol but again be careful as it too is a degreaser..
Old November 6th, 2010, 12:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Interesting. I didn't think of that. I'll try some air.

I was thinking more along the lines of a fuse blown somewhere or just plain broken. It doesnt look like theres much room for any crap in there.
Old November 6th, 2010, 5:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disconnect battery thats how i took mine out when it was stuck in there
Old November 6th, 2010, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi BayAreaChevyGuy,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

My CD player in my '04 was replaced under warranty. Then it went bad again shortly after the warranty expired.

When you decide to replace it, if you go with any other than a dealer radio, you'll need a dataport adapter.(100$)
Old November 7th, 2010, 7:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Wow that sucks therewolf. I guess these radio's are not of quality. I plan on puttin an in dash dvd player/cd player, but not for a bit. I guess ill just stick with the crappy radio. I tried the can of air blasts but no dice.

Im going to try to pull the battery as someone suggested and see if it'll pop it out. If I could get a GOOD cd in I'd be happy. lol.
Old November 8th, 2010, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio issuses continue

I have a 2007 that plays cd's for 30 minutes or so and then starts to skip, then when I eject them they are almost too hot to touch, I clean deck with top of the line cd cleaner, put in different disc, same thing 30 minutes later, so 13 days after buyer her new with 36 miles my truck I took it in to dealer, they replaced the radio, 4 days later I was back with same problem, only reason it took 4 days was because I was out of town. They said it was something that I was doing and they could not find anything wrong. Came back 2 months later to try again with a bigger smile and a nicer attitude and same result, Live and Let Live I said, I just have to live with the fact that I have a $30,000 truck that I paid cash for, that I can't play cd's long in. Came back two weeks ago feed up, paid for 60,000 mile service, asked them to check a few things also, brakes squeaking, flapping noise coming from windshield area at around 75 mph and, oh yea, CD's hot and skipping after 30 minutes of playing. They didn't check the brakes, said the noise was steering column, (typical, and would need to fix soon), oh and they never drove it to analyze this problem, and said my radio had communication problems. Now even radio doesn't work, cd's wont play hardly at all, called way up Gm CS ladder and was denied any help what so ever. My Brother-in lw worked for Gm 27 years, my best friend worked there at same plant 31 years, and I can't even get a fair shake on a radio that has been messing up for years. Service said for $500.00 they could put new radio in. just like the ones that they have already done before. I just want to play my music in my truck that I love as I drive down the road. That’s all I would pay for the additional cost to put 6 discs under seat so this heating up thing would go away. God Bless them all, but they have been zero help, putting me on hold for over 20 minutes at a time, and always saying "I can understand your frustrations" but I cannot help you..Good-bye. Slowhands<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old November 8th, 2010, 9:16 AM
Super Moderator

Hi slowhands222,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

Yeah, kind of adds new meaning to the term "CD Burner"... ...prior experience had already shown me car companies, despite ALL the ads and HYPE, have absolutely NO PRIDE in the quality of their product WHATSOEVER. If it's not under warranty they won't touch it, if it is under warranty, they replace it with the same schlocky crap that went bad prematurely to begin with.

If I really like the vehicle, what I generally do to counteract this "schlock warranty attitude" is plan to replace the weak links replaced under warranty when they inevitably fail again, shortly after the warranty expires.

Apparently, they phased out the "accessory" station on the new ignition switches since@ 2002. Now you need the dataport adapter, make sure they tone down the door chime when they install it.

It's not so bad once you have the dataport adapter. I went for a complete audio system replacement and rewire, using a Clarion double-DIN head unit, and I've been happy with the system ever since. There are about two dozen good double-DIN head units out there, depending on your personal brand preference.

Last edited by therewolf; November 8th, 2010 at 9:25 AM.
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Looks like its aftermarket we go..... Now this dataport is it made by chevy or something the aftermarket stereo shop will have?
Old November 9th, 2010, 1:57 PM
Super Moderator

Try to find a really good shop in your area, since the adapter has been around for seven years or so, your average shop should stock them.

Just be certain the door chimes get turned down to an acceptable volume, or dead people in cemeteries in CHINA will be complaining about the noise.

Quick Reply: 2005 Silverado radio/cd player issue.