Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:56 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: 4WD - Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

2006 Silverado 1500 Service 4WD

Search this Thread

Old August 15th, 2012, 8:50 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Silverado 1500 Service 4WD

I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 Z71 with 83,000 miles. Never had any problems with it before. Yesterday I started the truck to find that the Service 4WD message was displayed and the indicator lights on the control switch were out. I turned the vehicle off and restarted to find the same problem. After the truck sat for about 2 hours I tried again and everything seemed normal (no message and indicator light was working). I just moved to a very hot area (temps reaching 115 degrees) and am wondering if that may have something to do with it. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
Old August 15th, 2012, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

my buddy had a similar problem on his 05 Avalanche and it ended up being the sensor inside the transfer case that went bad. it is a $90 part here in VA. I am having the beginnings of the same problem in my 04 Silverado. Im not an expert on these trucks but its a start.
Old August 15th, 2012, 8:49 PM
CF Active Member

does it shift into 4x4?
first thing, check the fluids. If it doesn't shift into 4x4, or takes longer than normal it could be the transfer case switch. If it doesn't shift at all its most likely the 4x4 seliniod. you can probably get both fairly cheap on rockauto.com
Old August 16th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sjmclean3
I have a 2006 Silverado 1500 Z71 with 83,000 miles. Never had any problems with it before. Yesterday I started the truck to find that the Service 4WD message was displayed and the indicator lights on the control switch were out. I turned the vehicle off and restarted to find the same problem. After the truck sat for about 2 hours I tried again and everything seemed normal (no message and indicator light was working). I just moved to a very hot area (temps reaching 115 degrees) and am wondering if that may have something to do with it. Has anyone else dealt with this issue?
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you experienced this issue with your Silverado vehicle. Has it occurred again or was it just the one time?

Have you taken the vehicle in for an inspection?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old July 16th, 2013, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry you experienced this issue with your Silverado vehicle. Has it occurred again or was it just the one time?

Have you taken the vehicle in for an inspection?

Louis
GM Customer Service

I'm having the same issues with my 2006 1500 Z71. I have 80,000 miles on my truck. The service 4wd message started coming up last month. The 2wd led on the selector switch is intermittent. Sometimes while backing up, my truck will shift into 4 low on its own. It has always been a bit inconvenient when shifting from low to high. It clunks hard and I often have to shut the engine off and restart it. I don't use low gear often, so I have lived with it. Anybody else having similar issues?
Old January 8th, 2014, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2006 4WD - Same Issue

Originally Posted by 1997 Z71
I'm having the same issues with my 2006 1500 Z71. I have 80,000 miles on my truck. The service 4wd message started coming up last month. The 2wd led on the selector switch is intermittent. Sometimes while backing up, my truck will shift into 4 low on its own. It has always been a bit inconvenient when shifting from low to high. It clunks hard and I often have to shut the engine off and restart it. I don't use low gear often, so I have lived with it. Anybody else having similar issues?
I am having the exact same issue. Did you figure out what the cause was?
Old January 8th, 2014, 5:22 PM
CF Beginner

I had a similar problem and discovered the trans was low. Topped off the trans and the problem went away.
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:03 PM
CF Beginner

The selector switches are known for the solder to crack. I replaced mine and it fixed the problem.