Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 1500 L76 dies intermittantly after starting?

Old December 13th, 2011, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 1500 L76 dies intermittantly after starting?

Have a 2007 1500 L76 silverado, bought it new, bone stock no modifications, has about 70,000 on it. About once a month or so I'll start it (either with the key or factory remote start) and it will start up fine, but die within a few seconds. It usually restarts fine (but only with the key, the remote start will not start it a second time). It doesn't sound like it's having problems starting or hard starting etc. it fires right up, then dies completely, no lights, no power, no codes thrown. I've had one incident where I had the battery be totally dead unexpectedly after just a few hours of being parked as well. I haven't seen any other electrical problems, I don't think it's something loose just because I've never had anything happen when actually driving the truck, even lots off roading, it's always right after it's started then the problem doesn't come back for a few weeks.

It's been into the dealer multiple times to try and find the problem, doens't throw any codes, they've replaced the battery, battery cables, alternator, a couple connectors, fuses, checked connections etc. They put a monitoring unit in the truck for awhile and found nothing out of the ordinary. When the battery died they had it towed directly to the dealer and didn't see anything out of the ordinary either. They say their techs are aware of the issues, but they have no real solution. Replacing the computer was mentioned but they needed conclusive evidence to justify replacing it so it was never done.

The starting issue is not a huge deal (as long as it restarts!) , but the dead battery is. I'd hate to be hunting or out somewhere remote and come back in a couple hours to a stone dead battery. It's not that the dealer has not tried to be helpful, but it's pretty annoying that they admit they know there's a problem, yet for 2+ years now they can't seem to fix it.

Just curious if anyone else has ran across this and found solutions and/or other possible things to check. It seems like you read about a lot of problems with the 2007-2009 silverados and many of them end up being traced to the computer, bad ground wires, fusebox issues.

Thanks in advance,

Todd
Old December 13th, 2011, 8:53 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Todd308,
I would like to research your vehicle further regarding this issue, could you please PM me your VIN number and mileage on the vehicle?

I look forward to your response.

Louis
GM Customer Service