Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 performance upgrade questions

Search this Thread

Old March 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 performance upgrade questions

Which CAI do you recommend? I was looking at this K&N air charger kit: http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-3058
What do you think?

I'm also thinking about getting a flowmaster, but i'm kind of at lost for what I'm looking for. I don't want a really loud sound, but a nice agressive sound would be nice. Any recommendations?

I've also heard about custom tuners and such, but I don't think I'll be getting to that anytime soon.

Soare these the basics of performance upgrades?What else should I do, or is there anything I'm missing? Thanks.

Old March 12th, 2008, 5:56 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 performance upgrade questions

The first 2 you mentioned are usually were everyone starts and are good choices,I have a K&N air intake exactly like the one you are looking at GREAT!!!!As far as muffler i chalk that up to preference,I too was worried about loud but once i got a taste of the sound of power i couldn't stop and am glad i went as far as i did .
I started with a flow 50 wayyy too quiet,and then a super 40 still wayyy to quiet but a bit better and then an original 40 series and this was almost the cake but still wanted to hear it at low idle /revs so i looked up an old friend from the high school days and went with my single chamber Cherry Bomb Extreme,Now it is loud the loudest i've heard but when you drive at normal speeds and without booting it it is not overwhelming but you always know it's there with a nice resonant hum,so please don't do like me and be afraid of going to loud and then saying wow this isn't loud at all i would say if you want aggresive sound get what i have it is a 3 inch in 2.5 inch out dual cherry bomb extreme single chamber and i have 4 inch tips on it and it's great!!!!!!!!!
You sound just like i did when i started,i mean some people explian the likeness of the sound in the cab like it's gonna blow your head off but it's not,i just like to hear my motor at all times and can now.
Don't be afraid go for it!!!!
Old March 12th, 2008, 7:36 AM
Super Moderator

K&N are good but check out S&B filters before you decide: www.sbfilters.com
and check out http://www.thetruthaboutfilters.com/for some very helpful info.
I have a flowmaster70 bigblock series muffler and love it, butI wouldsuggest for you a 50 series, sounds great when you step on the gas but quiter while at idleandwhile cruising 60/70/80mph.
Old March 12th, 2008, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

I just recently puta Super 44 on my 2004 Silverado. 4.8l V8. Sounds great. Not too loud in the cab and hasa nice deep agressive tone.
Old March 12th, 2008, 4:40 PM
Super Moderator

I guess what the big difference is the newer chevy's have way better noise reduction material that make the cab alot less noisy, as opposed to older one (like my "95) which I can hear almost every little noise in the cab. Therefore,for mea 50 or 70 series muffler sound just fine from inside the cab, but for folks with newer models, they may want to go with a louder muffler so they get the noise and feeling inside the cab.But it all depends onpersonal preferences onhow loud you want it.Just food for thought.
Old March 12th, 2008, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the replies, i appreciate them.

i also heard something about intake and exhaust relation. do i have to get a new exhaust or will the stock exhaust do fine?

if I do decide on installing the intake myself, how difficult is it? i mean i know how to use a wrench, but i'm not exactly a mechanic either.
i wouldn't want to screw anything up.

and what about a supercharger? is there one out yet for the new Silverados?
Old March 13th, 2008, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

i dont know about a supercharger, im sure there is some company that is making one for the new silverado's but i do know about the intake. i put the S&B on mine, and it literally only took me about 45 min to put in and i was hanging out drinking beers and eating pizza at the same time so its not that hard, plus i did a throttle body spacer at the same time. only a basic knowledge of wrenches should get you there, most instructions are very clear, if you have any questions you can always call the manufacturer, and most places that sell the intakes have the instructions available for you to view even before you buy the product. my 2 cents.
Old March 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

I think I heard somewhere that the new chevy's had mandrel bend exhaust pipes, but don't quote me on that. The easiest way to check is to look at the pipes and it they have crinkles in the bends or and indentation at that the bend (which makes the pipe narrower) then I would replace the exhaust. A CAI and exhaust go hand in hand, they compliment each other. If you have better flowgoing into the engine then you should have better flow (less restriction)coming out of the engine.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

yes northey,mandrel bent systems are better, for race cars and high performance motors. if you have an every day v8 that isnt built, it is not going to affect the performance at all if you dont have a mandrel bent system, its better to actually get rid of the restrictive stock muffler and put a different muffler on even if the rest of the system is not mandrel bent. yes it will flow better with mandrel bent pipes, but not enough to notice any mileage or hp gains. I do have my stock exhaust at home that i replaced, ill take a look at it tonight and see if it is mandrel from the factory and get back to you. but i do know that the stock exhaust is about 2 feet long and about a foot tall vs my flowmaster that is only about a foot long and about 6 inches tall with dual outlets.
All in all, you wont notice a difference in performance or restriction with mandrel vs non mandrel,unless you are running a setup with some serious power.
Old March 14th, 2008, 8:28 AM
CF Senior Member

I disagree. I dont think it matters wether or not your running high horsepower or everday specs. Mandrel bends are always better than crush bends. Less restriction = more flow. If your theory was true, catback systems wouldnt waste their time with their products using mandrel bends. Wether its flowmaster, Borla, SLP, or whoever, most use stainless steel pipes with mandrel bends. I had a custom exhaust on the Supercharged Tiburon with crushed bends, then I put a SLP loud mouth stainless mandrel catback on it and it dynoed at 6 more HP, strictly because of the mandrel bends.

Quick Reply: 2007 Chevy Silverado 5.3 performance upgrade questions