Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 Silverado 1500 Navigation Theft Lock

Old January 17th, 2010, 1:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran into some of the same problems today. I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 (nbs) with the 6 disc / Bose system. I bought a DVD Nav unit (p/n 20807044) from ebay, it came with the map dvd, ant., vss wire and the vcim wire. Had it installed today and once powered I had the dreaded blue theft lock screen. I took it to the dealer for clear out and reprogram and they said they could clear the theft lock but could not program it because the tech 2 would not recognize the radio as being compatible. I told them to try to build it as an 06 Monte Carlo and he said he couldn't because when he hooks it up to the tech 2, it knows that it's not an 06 Monte Carlo. He did say he would try again on Monday when he could call the factory for something. He said my stereo said parts were missing and that it couldn't calibrate. Don't know what that is all about. The funny thing is, it seems that everything is pretty much working. The sound is lower, almost like the amp isn't being used or something and when I set a navigation destination, it says please follow the displayed path and instructions will continue, but it doesn't do or say anything until you reach your destination and then it says you've reached your destination, navigation complete.(something to that effect). I'm going to print out the directions from SHAWNVW and I'll repost Monday after I take it back to the dealer.
Old January 18th, 2010, 1:45 PM
CF Beginner

Just got back from dealer and my nav/radio is still NOT programmed. I printed out the procedure Shawnvw listed, I even printed out the PI document he posted. Still nothing. They said "Unable to program radio to vehicle. It states that there is part #'s missing. New radio cannot be programmed. No assisatance from TAC due to part # of new radio does not match option for this vehicle. Advise customer to contact GM/VAC if kit is available." I bought a nav unit that says it's for vehicles with rear seat entertainment option. Would me NOT having the rear seat entertainment option stop the rado from learning my vin? That is the only thing I can think of. I wanted the nav with the dvd option, in case I wanted to add it in the future, I hope I didn't mess up my chances of getting this to work. The service rep the dealer said that her tech tried everything, including all the pages I printed and gave them. I was unable to talk to the tech myself, so I'm not sure what was or wan't really done. Does anyone know for sure if a nav with dvd can be installed in a vehicle w/o the rear entertainment package???? Please help!!!
Old January 18th, 2010, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Default Success, FINALLY

I was on the phone with pretty much everyone I could think of today, from GM tech support to AC Delco. Turns out my installer tapped into the wrong wire. Once the correct VSS wire was tapped (green with white stripe) the navigation system started working perfectly...voice prompts and all. I guess I still have a question that may seem totally ridiculous. The dealer told me that they could not program my head unit, because it wasn't an option on my vehicle and that some part numbers were missing. If everything seems to be working, from the nav, dvd, am, fm, xm, aux imput, do I still need or should I still go back and try to have the radio programmed. I figure the parts missing would be the vss wire, since it really wasn't installed properly. I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but maybe I would get better sound or something if it was programmed properly to my truck. Any thoughts???
Old January 19th, 2011, 5:28 AM
CF Beginner

Im going to be installing a OEM Nav Radio in my 2007 Silverado LTZ soon. Is the Monte Carlo VIN release still the best way to program the radio?

And will using the Monte Carlo programing turn on my factory BOSE amp properly? I ask because some people have complained about low volume after programing possibly due to the amp not being turned on.

Thank You!!
Old February 17th, 2011, 7:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as I know yes the procedure is still the same, just print the instructions that shawnvw posted for programing the head unit and take it to the dealer, tell them that this has been going on for years by now and it has been working just fine with every one else, let us know what happened.
Old July 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same Problem 2007 Suburban

Hi Shawn,

I hope you are still out there. I have an 07 Suburban 1500 LT and purchased a nav unit from an 07 Suburban LTZ. We took it to a dealer and they told us they couldn't relearn the VIN. I figured I would call another one. I hooked it up myself and it powered up, but of course had the blue screen with Theft Lock. Is the Monte Carlo bulletin still the best way for the dealer to work around this? Do you have any recommendations for a dealer in San Diego?

Thanks,
Tiffany
Old July 20th, 2012, 11:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by talewel
Hi Shawn,

I hope you are still out there. I have an 07 Suburban 1500 LT and purchased a nav unit from an 07 Suburban LTZ. We took it to a dealer and they told us they couldn't relearn the VIN. I figured I would call another one. I hooked it up myself and it powered up, but of course had the blue screen with Theft Lock. Is the Monte Carlo bulletin still the best way for the dealer to work around this? Do you have any recommendations for a dealer in San Diego?

Thanks,
Tiffany
This is Shawnvw instructions, I reposted them for you...

<table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100">Subject:</td><td valign="top">Radio Displays "LOCKED" After SPS Programming</td></tr></tbody></table> <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100">Models:</td><td valign="top">2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT</td></tr></tbody></table> <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100">
</td><td valign="top">2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe</td></tr></tbody></table> <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100">
</td><td valign="top">2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL</td></tr></tbody></table> <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top" width="100">
</td><td valign="top">2008-2009 Hummer H2</td></tr></tbody></table>
<hr>This PI was superseded tp update model years and text. Please discard PIT4007C.
<hr>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some technicians may find that after SPS programming a replacement radio the display will show "LOCKED" or "THEFT LOCK". The radio theft deterrent system disables radio functionality if the VIN information sent by the BCM does not match the vehicle VIN information contained in the radio. The radio compares its learned VIN information to the VIN learned in the BCM via GMLAN. If a radio is replaced or swapped from another vehicle the radio will need to relearn the VIN information before it will function. The radio learns the VIN information during the SPS programming event.
Recommendation/Instructions:

Currently, some SPS programming events will NOT successfully learn the vehicles VIN information in the radio. Engineering is aware of this and working on a correction, however the following steps can be performed to resolve this condition if SPS programming does not unlock the radio:
  1. Perform the radio setup in SI (Document ID# 1745049) as well as,
  2. Perform A VIN Relearn. To Perform the VIN Relearn, build the tech 2 as follows:
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">F0: Diagnostics</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">2006</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">Passenger Car</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">(1) Chevrolet</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">W</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">WN Monte Carlo LTZ</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">F6: Body and Accessories</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">Entertainment</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">F5: Module Setup</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">F0: Radio</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table border="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"></td><td valign="top">F0: VIN Relearn</td></tr></tbody></table>
  3. When prompted to erase the theft data: "select yes"
  4. Shut the key off for 60 seconds and remove the Tech 2 from the vehicle.
  5. After sixty seconds has elapsed, the VIN should relearn upon start up.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step

When the installation is complete, turn the key to the on position, If the display says LOCKED or THEFTLOCK, then proceed with the following instructions.

Bring your vehicle into the dealer, and have them program the radio using Pass-Through programming using TIS2WEB. Select "Replace & Reprogram" on the first screen.
Go through all the prompts selecting the year\make\model of the vehicle
You will then be asked if the vehicle has a back-up camera or not, which amp it has, and speaker package
Check the glove compartment for the correct RPO codes.
After programming is complete, turn the key off, open the door, and then start the vehicle. If it still says LOCKED or THEFTLOCK, then proceed with the next step, otherwise, you are done.

Using the TECH2, select DIagnostic, 2006, Chevrolet, W Body, Monte Carlo LTZ, Body & Accessories, Entertainment, Module Setup, Radio, VIN Relearn, and when asked to clear theft information, select yes.
Radio display should change to NO VIN. Turn off key, turn off TECH2, Open the drivers door, and start the vehicle with the key. Everything be working as of now.

This does not "Trick" the vehicle to think it is a monte carlo. It doesn't program any module in the vehicle as a monte carlo etc etc etc......All this procedure does is activate the VIN Relearn function in the TECH2, and tells the radio to clear the previous VIN that has been stored in the memory, and upon the next key cycle, learn the VIN of the new vehicle
Old September 11th, 2012, 9:05 AM
CF Beginner

i've had my dealer try twice with the monte carlo programming with two separate navigation units for my 07 Escalade and it will not work does anyone have anymore solutions before i try and locate someone that can remove that security all together
Old September 12th, 2012, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default Unlock Service

I went to 2 dealers to have my radio unlocked and they couldn't do it. However, I found an unlock service on ebay. I paid for it shipped my radio to them and they unlocked and shipped back. We installed the radio and it worked great. I would recommend them. Here is the url for them on ebay NAV RADIO THEFTLOCK RESET FOR CHEVY BUICK GMC CADILLAC | eBay The seller is global-auto-tech. It costs around $72 for the service and then your costs to ship the radio to them. I spent $100 at the dealer and they didn't get anything accomplished.
Old September 12th, 2012, 7:22 PM
CF Beginner

thanks for the reply i just sent them a message

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Silverado 1500 Navigation Theft Lock