Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 Silverado 4wd problem

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2009, 11:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado 4wd problem

I admit I am not an expert with how 4x4 systems work, that's why I'm here. I purchased a 2007 Silverado (new body style) this summer. We just got our first big snow storm tonight, and I backed out of the driveway and was stuck on the street in front of the house as cars drove by. I was able to roll down the window and crank the front wheels so I could see the tire and it didn't move even when locked in 4 high.
I assume that all tires should move at the same in that setting? The light flashes for quite a while before locking into the 4 high setting. Is that normal? Any ideas on what the problem could be?
Old December 9th, 2009, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

I'm a newbie with 4 wheel drive, too. I haven't even used mine, yet. (got my truck in August - 1st 4x4) But, according to the manual it says to shift into 4 wheel drive high at any speed. So, would you assume you have to be moving in order to shift into 4 wheel drive? I didn't think it could be done at a stop but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with experience (I'm sure there's plenty on this board) can chime in.

Actually, I did try the 4 wheel drive once - it was wet out and I went in a straight line just to see if it worked. I was doing about 20 mph and it shifted into 4 wheel high very quickly and smoothly.

Not sure about doing that at a stop, though. I'd like to know.
Old December 9th, 2009, 8:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've heard with the new 4x4 systems they are shift on the fly systems. you could
try it.
Old December 10th, 2009, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Also, were you trying to get into 4 wheel drive low or high? Low is a different procedure - this is for electronic shifting - not the manual.

Shifting Into Four-Wheel-Drive Low
When Four-Wheel-Drive Low is engaged, vehicle speed
should be kept below 45 mph. Extended high-speed
operation in Four-Wheel-Drive Low may damage
or shorten the life of the drivetrain.
To shift to the Four-Wheel-Drive Low position, the
ignition must be in ON/RUN and the vehicle must be
stopped or moving less than 3 mph (5 km/h) with
the transmission in N (Neutral). The preferred method
for shifting into Four-Wheel-Drive Low is to have
the vehicle moving 1 to 2 mph (1.6 to 3.2 km/h).
Turn the **** to the Four-Wheel-Drive Low position.
You must wait for the Four-Wheel-Drive Low indicator
light to stop flashing and remain on before shifting
the transmission into gear.
Notice: Shifting the transmission into gear before
the requested mode indicator light has stopped
flashing could damage the transfer case. To help
avoid damaging the vehicle, always wait for the mode
indicator lights to stop flashing before shifting the
transmission into gear.

Last edited by 2009Sierra; December 10th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
Old December 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

considering my truck is more then 12 years older then your idk if this would work wih yours BUT.. on mine i reverse for a few feet to let the automatic hubs lock in.. you have to do this with the manual lock out hubs too SOMETIMES. dunno if that'll help if your still stuck LOL
Old August 22nd, 2019, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default Never shift into 4 wheel drive while moving.

Originally Posted by 2009Sierra
I'm a newbie with 4 wheel drive, too. I haven't even used mine, yet. (got my truck in August - 1st 4x4) But, according to the manual it says to shift into 4 wheel drive high at any speed. So, would you assume you have to be moving in order to shift into 4 wheel drive? I didn't think it could be done at a stop but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone with experience (I'm sure there's plenty on this board) can chime in.

Actually, I did try the 4 wheel drive once - it was wet out and I went in a straight line just to see if it worked. I was doing about 20 mph and it shifted into 4 wheel high very quickly and smoothly.

Not sure about doing that at a stop, though. I'd like to know.
I did once and blew a Hole in my transfer case but I was running about 45 mph always put your truck in neutral and then push the four-wheel-drive button until the light stops blinking and then put it back in drive and you are in gau hole in my transfer case but I was running about 45 mph always put your truck in neutral and then push the four-wheel-drive button until the light stops blinking and then put it back in drive and you are in engaged and good to go. ( you should hear it you shift into four-wheel-drive )