Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2013 Silverado with "knock" in steering

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2015, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Silverado with "knock" in steering

Good morning. This is my first use of a forum, so please excuse any lack of protocol. My 2013 Chevy Silverado, extended cab, 4x4 Z71 has had a "knock" in the steering column since less than a 1k miles. It now is approaching 14k. It has never been used off road. The knock usually occurs when there is a abrupt dip or raise in the road; there are pavement breaks or especially when negotiating the entrance to my driveway when the steering wheel is turned about 30-45 degrees. I have searched the forums and found where older models of the Silverado/1500 series experienced something very similar, but none for the 2013 model year. The temporary solutions address packing the intermediate shaft/coupling in the steering column with heavy duty grease. Also a Chevy Service Bulletin is remarked on that Chevy is/was going to field a repair kit or replacement parts for those older models/series trucks. I did not find that any such kit or repair parts made it to the customers, but maybe I missed something. My servicing dealer has not been able to replicate the complaint. My truck: 2013 Silverado extended cab, 4X4 z71, 5.3 l flex fuel. Is this a TSB fix, warranty repair or just have to live with it?
Old June 9th, 2015, 9:52 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Henrytrk1
Good morning. This is my first use of a forum, so please excuse any lack of protocol. My 2013 Chevy Silverado, extended cab, 4x4 Z71 has had a "knock" in the steering column since less than a 1k miles. It now is approaching 14k. It has never been used off road. The knock usually occurs when there is a abrupt dip or raise in the road; there are pavement breaks or especially when negotiating the entrance to my driveway when the steering wheel is turned about 30-45 degrees. I have searched the forums and found where older models of the Silverado/1500 series experienced something very similar, but none for the 2013 model year. The temporary solutions address packing the intermediate shaft/coupling in the steering column with heavy duty grease. Also a Chevy Service Bulletin is remarked on that Chevy is/was going to field a repair kit or replacement parts for those older models/series trucks. I did not find that any such kit or repair parts made it to the customers, but maybe I missed something. My servicing dealer has not been able to replicate the complaint. My truck: 2013 Silverado extended cab, 4X4 z71, 5.3 l flex fuel. Is this a TSB fix, warranty repair or just have to live with it?
Hi Henry,

Welcome to the forum! We apologize for the recent concerns with your truck, and we would be happy to look into this further for you. We can always reach out to another dealership for a possible second opinion. Feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 10th, 2015, 7:44 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Silverado with "knock" in steering

Perhaps I reached out too soon: I had an appointment to see my servicing dealer yesterday. A technician went for a ride with me and I was able to replicate and identify the knocking sound to him. I have an appointment today for the technician to further delve into the problem and probably order some replacement parts for the steering column assembly. Thank you for your interest Chevrolet Customer Service. I will continue to post progress on this as things happen. The technician DID advise me that the 2013 steering column assembly is different than earlier models from the circa 2000 and earlier models, at least that is what I took away from our conversation.
Old June 10th, 2015, 8:47 AM
Official GM Rep

Perhaps I reached out too soon: I had an appointment to see my servicing dealer yesterday. A technician went for a ride with me and I was able to replicate and identify the knocking sound to him. I have an appointment today for the technician to further delve into the problem and probably order some replacement parts for the steering column assembly. Thank you for your interest Chevrolet Customer Service. I will continue to post progress on this as things happen. The technician DID advise me that the 2013 steering column assembly is different than earlier models from the circa 2000 and earlier models, at least that is what I took away from our conversation.
Thanks, Henry! We look forward to receiving updates, and again please don't hesitate to contact us if you need any additional assistance.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 10th, 2015, 9:14 PM
CF Beginner

Smile 2013 Silverado steering column knock

Happy to report that my servicing GM dealer replacedj the intermediate steering column shaft today. On the drive home the steering seemed firmer. Hopefully this fix will last a long time !
Old June 11th, 2015, 7:21 AM
Official GM Rep

Happy to report that my servicing GM dealer replacedj the intermediate steering column shaft today. On the drive home the steering seemed firmer. Hopefully this fix will last a long time !
Thanks for the update, Henry! Glad to hear everything went well at the dealership, and your steering seems to have improved. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us again in the future if you experience any additional concerns. Have a great day!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 7th, 2017, 6:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Thanks for the update, Henry! Glad to hear everything went well at the dealership, and your steering seems to have improved. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us again in the future if you experience any additional concerns. Have a great day!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Good day. I have just recently taken over a 2013 Silverado from my son. I immediately “felt” a knock on the steering when turning, and mostly when braking slightly to adjust speed in roundabouts. He was unaware of the problem maybe as he had become accustomed to the changes in the vehicle having driven it from new.

Took the vehicle to the dealer today for a routine service and two persons took vehicle for road test. Neither could feel the knock. I am sure that it is the same problem as previous person reported.

During the service (51000 km) the service technician discovered that both Lhs and Rhs engine mountings need replacement which was rather surprising as vehicle hardly done any off-road Work, and being a 4x4 pickup, should be hardier than that.. they say the knock felt is not related...

hope some help help can be given.