Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 Silverado Battery

Old January 2nd, 2009, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado Battery

I was unable to start my truck yesterday. After I jumped it and drove it everything seems fine. Today, still everything "normal" I'm getting 12.1v off battery terminals with engine off, 14.x with the engine running. I'm looking at replacing my battery. My '07 has a AC-Delco 7641, and it say's it's replacement model is 48-6YR. Not only does Group 48 seem to be a under served group, it's a really tight place under the hood in the '07s for the battery. Anyone swap one? Does anything else need to be removed to get the old one out and the new one in?

Currently looking at:
Diehard Platinum
Optima Red Top or Yellow Top
Odyssey PC1500

Finding battery's in the group 48 size certainly is going to limit choice, anyone have any model numbers to look at that fit?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 9:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: 2007 Silverado Battery

I have been having the same problem with my '07. I'm on my second battery (replaced by my dealer) and after months of running and starting fine it will all ofa sudden not start. Usually first thing in the morning. Totally dead too.

I had to have it towed in because the first time not only me but the dealer couldn't get it jump started. They had to put it on a trickle charger. It finally started but showed no codes and everything checked out fine with the charging system. They replaced the battery. I thought maybe it was a ground issue.

A couple of weeks ago it did it again. It had enough juice to run the dash and radio, but not to crank. This time a put it on a charger that I borrowed and I got it to start after a couple of hours.

Makes me a little leary to be heading out anywhere! I find it hard to believe that I should have to put a 3rd battery in a 14K truck!

I'm interested to know if you or anyone else has had this problem and what it was?I also have been thinking about upgrading the battery too.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 1:35 PM
CF Beginner

jlm6740,

Something is going on with the '07 Silverado's. Don't know if you've seen this?
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=88698
and/or
http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/inde...howtopic=88383
and/or
https://chevroletforum.com/m_81247/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

It's not just a few. I could maybe excuse a 3 year old battery's going bad but suddenly? Then working for the next few days and then dying again? What's even more strange (I didn't have a meter with me) but usually my battery gauge on the dash reads 14v plus while the engine is running, today on a end of a hour drive it was dipping to or a little lower than 12v. Something is up and it doesn't seem to just be a battery, just a guess.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 3:32 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

A bad cell in the battery will cause the battery to be dead "all of a sudden"
Old January 3rd, 2009, 5:28 PM
CF Beginner

shawnvw,

Would that also cause the battery gauge on the dash to drop? Or is the battery gauge measure of the alternator's output too? My meter readings from friday seem to point to a battery on it's way out 12.1V, and 14.xV with the engine running shows alternator is functioning no?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 11:57 PM
CF Junior Member

Anyone have any suggestions for an upgrade from the GM battery?

BTW, thanks for the links ctahoe!
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:17 AM
CF Beginner

Battery upgrade? As I posted above, I've been looking at a few (which may or may not be available in the Group 48 size) Either way it's a rather tight fit where the current '07s have their battery's, with the second battery tray sitting there empty in the wide open.

Diehard Gold
Diehard Platinum
Optima Red Top
Optima Yellow Top
Odyssey PC1500

Old January 4th, 2009, 11:15 PM
CF Junior Member

For a new battery you may try looking at a high-end Interstate. It was rated a best buy by Consumer Reports
Old March 5th, 2009, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

Good luck I am on the 4th battery at 17100 miles dealer cannot find anything wrong. I have the same problems You are describing. I park in the evening the next morning it is completly dead??? Check the site after saturday for the rear window decal I have to voice my appreciation for the silverado.
Old October 18th, 2014, 2:50 AM
CF Beginner

I had trouble with my 2012 battery dying out after I installed after-market Subs and Amp, so I swapped it out for 2 optima red tops connected in series. No problems with any voltage what so ever. MUST BE IN SERIES! Battery voltage will be 24v if parallel them! Very harmful to wiring!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Silverado Battery