Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:43 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2007 Silverado Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Silverado Oil Consumption

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Silverado LT, Crew Cab, 4x4, 5.3L 39,000miles. I have been getting the "Oil Level Low" light after after I drive approximately 2,000 miles after an oil change. This has happend for the last 3 oil changes. I change the oil when the life has approx 15-20% remaining. There aren't any spots in my garage and no sings of leaking in the engine compartment. I contacted the dealer and they said they have to do an oil consumption study before they can do anything. In reading other post in the forum there seems to be alot of stabs at fixing this issue but most still end up burning oil. So my question for the experts is will there be any harm in just adding oil periodically when it needs it? Is it worth it to start the process of getting a new engine? Do I cut my loss and sell the truck?
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CF Active Member

What oil do you use?
Old July 14th, 2011, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oil Consumption in 07's

I have an 08', but did a lot of research before not buying an 07, due to large amount of complaints about oil consumption issues. It seemed that everyone was told the same thing from GM, that is normal and within specs to burn that much oil.

One customer wrote that a new fix was out and they added a baffle to the oil pan, and it appeared it worked for them.

I think the website I read it on was something like, Chevrolet Complaints, Recall Information and Pending Investigations ?
Old July 14th, 2011, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

I have an 07 Silverado and I have had the low oil light come on a few times before, not always, but on occasion. I would check the oil and it would be low but not extremely low. And I checked in my manual and it said, not quoted exactly, but that it was common for the truck to burn a quart of oil between each oil change, and to check it regularly. In newer vehicles they say you dont have to change the oil every 3000 miles. Having the oil life precentage meter that starts at 100% and works its way down, I had gone around 8000 miles and it still had 25% oil life, but it had burned a lot of oil, and I had had the light come on. My suggestion is really to change your oil every 3000 miles, and that light should not come on anymore. The precentage at that time will probably still read around 75%, but even at that amount I am still a quart low when I change it.I have 182,000 miles on my truck now, and I have had no problems with it, and I change the oil and filter every 3000 miles. Keeping the fluid changed will just help your engine to last a lot longer.
Old November 15th, 2012, 2:23 PM
CF Beginner

We are doing study it is very cazy. they have found oil in intake manifold, installed afm oil deflector, rocker arm cover lefnk and cleaned carbon from cylinders still using oil. and they won't do anthing I will never buy another chey after 30 years of buying them
Old November 15th, 2012, 7:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know why a truck that new should "burn" that much oil. I drive a 2004 Silverado with the 5.3L V8 and it might use half a quart between changes (every 3,000 miles or so). I have 106,000+ miles and it runs very strong.

Good luck at finding the source of the problem, sir!
Old November 15th, 2012, 8:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

do you have active fuel management? If you do, there is a fix.
Old November 15th, 2012, 8:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Neal Klein
We are doing study it is very cazy. they have found oil in intake manifold, installed afm oil deflector, rocker arm cover lefnk and cleaned carbon from cylinders still using oil. and they won't do anthing I will never buy another chey after 30 years of buying them
they are supposed to replace the oil control rings at this point. What is crazy?
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
do you have active fuel management? If you do, there is a fix.
What is that fix? I have an '07 with 66,000 miles and AFM and use a half quart about every 2500 miles. Used to use more until I went from synthetic back to dino.
Old April 11th, 2013, 4:54 PM
CF Junior Member

#PIP4492Z: Oil Consumption And/Or Exhaust Smoke Due To Oil In The PCV System - (Jul 19, 2011)

Subject: Oil Consumption and/or Exhaust Smoke due to Oil in the PCV System

Models: 2004-2007 Buick Rainier

2004-2008 Cadillac CTS-V

2003-2011 Cadillac Escalade

2010-2011 Chevrolet Camaro

2003-2007 Chevrolet Corvette

2009-2011 Chevrolet Colorado

2003-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR

2003-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer

2009-2011 GMC Canyon

2003-2009 GMC Envoy

2003-2011 GMC Savana, Sierra, Yukon

2003-2010 Hummer H2

2008-2010 Hummer H3

2008-2010 Pontiac G8

2005-2009 Saab 97x

Built with any of the following V8 Engine RPO Codes:

4.8L - L20, LR4, LY2

5.3L - L33, L59, LC9*, LH6*, LH8, LH9, LM7, LMF, LMG**, LY5**

6.0L - L76*, L77, L96, LFA*, LQ4, LQ9, LS2, LY6, LZ1

6.2L - L92*, L94, L99, L9H

*For 2007-2009 Full Size Trucks or 2008-2009 Pontiac G8 with Engine RPO Code LC9, LH6, L76, L92, or LFA: Follow the latest version of 10-06-01-008 and re-evaluate the oil consumption. If the concern reoccurs and/or if excessive oil is found in the intake manifold as described below, also follow the PI suggestions below. Bulletin 10-06-01-008 does not apply to the Envoy, Rainier, Saab 97x, or Trail Blazer Models with Engine RPO Code LH6 because they have a different design oil pan and AFM pressure relief system.

**For 2007-2011 Full Size Trucks with Engine RPO Code LMG or LY5: Follow the latest version of PIP4918 and re-evaluate the oil consumption. If the concern reoccurs and/or if excessive oil is found in the intake manifold as described below, also follow the PI suggestions below.

Notice: Passenger Cars with Engine RPOs LS3, LS7, LS9, and LSA are excluded from this PI because they have the PCV baffle built into the intake valley cover, rather than the valve cover so excessive lifter flow does not affect them in the same manner.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to remove all passenger cars equipped with the LS4. Please discard PIP4492Y.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
On rare occasions, some customers may complain of excessive oil consumption and/or blue exhaust smoke.

Upon inspection, excessive oil will be found in the intake manifold and/or PCV vacuum tube if this PI applies.

Recommendation/Instructions:
If excessive oil consumption (greater than 1 quart of oil every 2,000 miles / 3,000 km) is verified but SI diagnosis does not isolate the cause of it, inspect the PCV vacuum pipe to see if obvious oil drips out of it and/or look through the throttle body opening to see if there is excessive standing oil in the bottom of the intake manifold (as much as a ¼ quart in many cases - a teaspoon or two is typically just normal oil residue).

If excessive oil is present, replace the driver side valve cover with the updated valve cover described below and perform another oil consumption test. These valve covers contain an updated baffle to prevent oil ingestion through the PCV system that can occur if there is an over-aggressive lifter(s).

2008 and earlier vehicles: Replace the driver side valve cover using the part number that is listed in the parts catalog. As of 6/2011, all old GM CCA/SPO stock should be purged of the 1st design valve cover so all remaining stock should be 2nd design valve covers as shown in the photo below. As a result, it is suggested to order this valve cover from GM CCA/SPO rather than a local supplier or another dealer who may only stock the 1st design valve cover. Before installing the valve cover, ensure that the PCV baffle looks similar to the 2nd design valve cover below.

2009-2011 vehicles: Replace the driver side valve cover with part number 12642655.

At this time, the latest version of 10-06-01-008 also lists this updated valve for the 2009 Full Size Trucks and 2009 Pontiac G8 with Engine RPO Codes LC9, LH6, L76, L92, or LFA but it does not include all of the additional engine RPOs and Model Years described above. This bulletin is currently under review and may be updated in the future to include additional engine RPOs and Model Years.

If blue exhaust smoke is present, also drain/clean the oil out of the intake manifold and install the intake with new intake gaskets before releasing the vehicle to the customer. If this is not performed, the customer may return with an exhaust smoke complaint due to the residual oil in the intake manifold even though their oil consumption complaint has been repaired.

Second Design Valve Cover with Updated Baffle

Name:  valvecover2nddesign_zps5d40ed8c.jpg
Views: 7240
Size:  49.2 KB

First Design Valve Cover

Name:  valvecover1stdesign_zps97352dbf.jpg
Views: 7127
Size:  53.9 KB

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Quick Reply: 2007 Silverado Oil Consumption