Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2007 silverado oil question

Old January 18th, 2012, 9:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 silverado oil question

Hi everyone, after 6 fords i figured id give chevy a try. I bought a 2007 silverado new body style 47,000 miles. When i bought it from the dealer they said they would changed the oil and brakes even showing me what the garage did, however when scrolling through the dash controls it said 73 percent oil life remaining. SO my question, does that sensor redo itself automatically when the oil is changed or do you have to manually reset it. Im wondering if they didnt even change the oil, but i do not want to call until i know my stuff so if anyone can help that would be great
Old January 18th, 2012, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should be manually reset...turn the key and hit the gas 5 times real fast
Old January 19th, 2012, 3:21 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Jeffstang,

The OIL LIFE display must be reset manually after each oil change, the dealer normally does this for you. It will not reset itself.

To reset the Engine Oil Life System, do the following:

1. Display the OIL LIFE REMAINING on the DIC.

2. Press and hold the SET/RESET button on the DIC, or the trip odometer reset stem if your vehicle does not have DIC buttons, for more than five seconds. The oil life will change to 100%.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start your vehicle, the Engine Oil Life System has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service