Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2007 truck, spare tire won't come down

Search this Thread

Old November 2nd, 2007, 3:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 truck, spare tire won't come down

I went to fix a flat today and the cable and spring for the spare tire would come down just fine. But, the black, metal crosspiece seems locked somehow. Is there a lock and how do I realease it? Thanks, Greg
Old November 2nd, 2007, 7:57 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2007 truck, spare tire won't come down

hi my answer is a bfh or a pry bar B big F ****en H hammer or pry bar ,. hope i helped
Old November 2nd, 2007, 7:59 PM
CF Junior Member

TORCH
Old November 2nd, 2007, 8:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wind the cable back up close to the tire and then kick or bump the tire real hard. It may be "stuck" against the frame.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

there is a TSB on this problem. from the factory the tires were slightly overin flated causing them to be slightly larger than the storage area. all you need to do is let out about 10-15lbs of air and it should come down with no problems. Hope this helps
Old November 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM
SNO
CF Beginner

Try looking in your owner's manual- especially the section that describes the "secondary" locking mechanism and how to release it.
Old November 27th, 2007, 6:05 AM
CF Beginner

Take care of this the easy way, take it back to the dealer.
Old June 19th, 2009, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Hello everyone. I just registered today because I too am having the same problem with removing my spare on my 05 Silverado 2500HD. It has a secondary latch and according to the manual, it states that I should use the jack to raise it until the tire is firmly in place. I did that and I still can't get it to lower. I think I'll try releasing some of the air as suggested, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else any trouble with the secondary latch PITA.

Thanks!
Old June 19th, 2009, 6:15 PM
CF Active Member

make sure your putting the female sqaure end of the rod into the crank., crank it up all the way tight, then put the jack under it, crank it down 2 or 3 turns, take the POS jack back out and let the tire down the rest of the way.
what i do is crank it down a few then smack it with a 4x4 block and the tire drops down a little. do yourself a favor and grease up the secondary latch or just grind the lock tab off it so it doesnt get stuck in the future.
this last time i had to use a BFH to get it to realease, so i ground the latch off because im tired of Fing with it every time.
Old June 19th, 2009, 6:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My 04 2500HD hit in the rear twice, the bumper alignment goes all to hell, you can't even get the jack handle to line up with the winding mechanism to engage the release.

There's a plastic guide tube which goes from the rear bumper to the winding mechanism for the spare to "guide" the jackhandle, if it's out of alignment, the jack handle doesn't engage.

Just reach up and rip that thin tube out of there,then you can see the winding mech. connector for the jack handle. Then you can put the handle ON the winding mechanism, and of course, THEN, CCW to release the tire.

...or you can buy GM out of bankruptcy by paying the to dealer access your spare tire for you...

Quick Reply: 2007 truck, spare tire won't come down