Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old December 27th, 2014, 10:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Motorcat,

All I can say is I agree. Actually this reminds me of the Vega fiasco of the early 1970's. I remember my very first new car that I totally paid for on my own. It was a 1975 Vega GT. Actually it was a terrific car. The earlier Vegas drank oil like a fish breathes in water. Ah, but the '75 had the Cosworth engine and a 60K warranty. Of course that was the only way GM could sell them at that point. So what did GM do after they fixed the problem? Why they stopped producing Vegas, of course!

John

PS. Several of my hot rod friends took advantage of the stoppage and purchased GT bodies, increased the suspension and added an 8 cylinder 350 engine to it. It was a sight to see those wheels move down the speedway!

Last edited by drjjpdc; December 27th, 2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old January 4th, 2015, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Default New to forum

Stumbled onto this fine Chevy owners site in my search for knowledge about my 2007 Chevy Silverado thats powered by the 5.3 liter engine with AFM.I'm the original owner of the truck and it has 70k miles on it,I purchased a GM"Majorguard"policy for it time of prurchase,but because we've only put 10k on the truck per year the the warrantee has lapsed in time.Last Friday while running errands my check engine light alond with a service stabilitrak light came on simultaneously with a severe engine mis-fire.I parked it for the night as it was too late to call my mechanic,but the next morning(yesterday) I fired it up and drove it 2 miles to the shop where my local mechanic-who services all brands,will take a look at the truck and attempt to diagnose it's problems.My question for this message board is even as sharp as my local mechanic is do I have it in the right hands? and will remedying one error code simply lead to other failures? From what I've read in here once you address one error code others are sure to follow and you end up chasing symptoms while not keying in on key ones because of a lack of forthrightness by Chevrolet.Have absolutley loved this truck up to this point.Truck has been a city truck,pamperd and serviced,and I was set to hand it down to my son who now has his drivers license,instead,after reading the posts in here I'm not sure what to do, but my once unshakable devotion to the Chevy brand is in serious doubt.Sorry about the long-winded post,and any advice or counseling would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by edwardo g; January 4th, 2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old January 5th, 2015, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Edwardo,

I am not a mechanic but the diagnosis should not be too complicated because most of the time the results are severe. When the AFM fails it will stop delivering the oil mixture to the cylinders. If one of them fails those lights will go on. Depending on the severity you might need valves, etc.

John
Old January 5th, 2015, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by edwardo g
Stumbled onto this fine Chevy owners site in my search for knowledge about my 2007 Chevy Silverado thats powered by the 5.3 liter engine with AFM.I'm the original owner of the truck and it has 70k miles on it,I purchased a GM"Majorguard"policy for it time of prurchase,but because we've only put 10k on the truck per year the the warrantee has lapsed in time.Last Friday while running errands my check engine light alond with a service stabilitrak light came on simultaneously with a severe engine mis-fire.I parked it for the night as it was too late to call my mechanic,but the next morning(yesterday) I fired it up and drove it 2 miles to the shop where my local mechanic-who services all brands,will take a look at the truck and attempt to diagnose it's problems.My question for this message board is even as sharp as my local mechanic is do I have it in the right hands? and will remedying one error code simply lead to other failures? From what I've read in here once you address one error code others are sure to follow and you end up chasing symptoms while not keying in on key ones because of a lack of forthrightness by Chevrolet.Have absolutley loved this truck up to this point.Truck has been a city truck,pamperd and serviced,and I was set to hand it down to my son who now has his drivers license,instead,after reading the posts in here I'm not sure what to do, but my once unshakable devotion to the Chevy brand is in serious doubt.Sorry about the long-winded post,and any advice or counseling would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same situation. I was the #1 spark plug. The porcelain had broke and caused a misfire, if #1 plug is good check #7. I have heard that has created the same situation.
Old February 22nd, 2015, 12:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default hope

just got a 2008 chevy ltz Silverado with 90k on with 5.3 hope this don't have any troubles I drive 90 miles round trip to work
Old February 22nd, 2015, 3:30 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by fparkin
just got a 2008 chevy ltz Silverado with 90k on with 5.3 hope this don't have any troubles I drive 90 miles round trip to work
Welcome to the forum...
One of the signs of the AFM issue is oil consumption, if you see fairly high oil usage its possible you have the failing lifters... that said there are other issues that can cause the oil consumption, but its an item to keep an eye out for...
Old February 23rd, 2015, 3:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you for your advice
Old February 24th, 2015, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

I just want to say that I was among those burned with my 2009 Silverado at about 37,000 miles. Chevy fixed it but I was always afraid it might happen again later on. Since my 2009 still had significant trade-in value, last July I traded it in on a 2014 Silverado. So far very happy. the 2014 is an entirely different animal than the 2009 and not just the engine. Room, ride, etc. are all much better. I'm 6'5", about 350 lbs. & on permanent disability.

John
Old February 25th, 2015, 7:03 PM
CF Beginner

Default Problem resolved

Good news regarding the issues I had with my 2007 Silverado crewcab LTZ.: It was the #1 cylinder plug wire and plug that had caused the mis-fire and caused the truck to go into limp-mode.I went ahead and had my mechanic replace all 8 plugs,plug wires and coils.It was an expensive repair,but I figured that if one plug and wire had failed at 70k miles they all conceivably could fail,and I didn't want to go through that again.
Thanks for the help and advice.
Old March 9th, 2015, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2008 Suburban LTZ with 130,000 miles. On the ride home I got the Engine Warning light, and the Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control. The engine ran badly and I took it back the next day. CarMax has replaced the lifters, etc. in the affected cylinder. I went to pick it up and I still hear a tapping when the engine runs so I left it with them to check again. Should I return this truck or will it likely be ok once it is serviced? I suspect any other cylinder could go at any time leaving me with the $1,800 bill.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$