Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old April 21st, 2015, 9:27 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

There are tuners available to eliminate the AFM feature assuming you catch the issue soon enough however by eliminating the AFM you do loose the MPG's but its a trade off that has to be considered to keep the engine alive longer...
Old May 6th, 2015, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevy hasnt learned from past mistakes. This is a serious, dangerous issue. I was on the freeway pulling a trailer when mine started. Losing power at freeway speeds pulling a trailer is dangerous. Lucky im an experienced driver and knew what to do to get off the road safe. If an inexperienced driver would of panic then this could of been deadly. Since no one has died Chevy isnt going to do anything. This occurred about 2 weeks before i drove to Telluride ,Colorado. what if this would of happened at 10,000 feet climbing a mountain road in the snow and icey roads. Chevy needs to wake up and just do whats right before someone does die!
Old May 19th, 2015, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Wish i would have seen a month ago

Wow.. Its amazing what you find when something goes wrong with your truck.. I have a 07 Silverado I bought with 50k miles on it. At 65k mile it was at the dealership for burning oil. It only took the dealership 4 different engine tear downs and 30k miles later to get it to burning less than a 1 quart of oil every 3k miles. It was in the shop for over 4 weeks in total. Last time at dealership new pistons and rings at 94K miles. Fast forward 3.5 years later at 175k miles driving down the interstate headed home from Atlanta and everything everyone below said happened to mine. So new spark plugs, wires, and coil fixed nothing. Dropped truck off at a mechanic 2 days ago and received phone call this morning, needs new lifter at a price of $2500. So i search the internet to find as many problems with lifters as i did back when i was looking a Chevy oil burner forums. I am not putting $2500 in this piece of junk. Believe i will take to junk yard and then go get myself a Tundra.

Last edited by hhunter0845; May 19th, 2015 at 9:01 AM.
Old May 19th, 2015, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by hhunter0845
Wow.. Its amazing what you find when something goes wrong with your truck.. I have a 07 Silverado I bought with 50k miles on it. At 65k mile it was at the dealership for burning oil. It only took the dealership 4 different engine tear downs and 30k miles later to get it to burning less than a 1 quart of oil every 3k miles. It was in the shop for over 4 weeks in total. Last time at dealership new pistons and rings at 94K miles. Fast forward 3.5 years later at 175k miles driving down the interstate headed home from Atlanta and everything everyone below said happened to mine. So new spark plugs, wires, and coil fixed nothing. Dropped truck off at a mechanic 2 days ago and received phone call this morning, needs new lifter at a price of $2500. So i search the internet to find as many problems with lifters as i did back when i was looking a Chevy oil burner forums. I am not putting $2500 in this piece of junk. Believe i will take to junk yard and then go get myself a Tundra.

Welcome to the forum, sorry it had to be for such circumstances...
I wonder if disabling the AFM at this point would provide any benefit, do keep us posted as to what you decide to do, even if that is trade it in...
Old May 20th, 2015, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Chevy should take a look at Honda who just recalled their cars for excessive oil consumption. They did the right thing.
Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum, sorry it had to be for such circumstances...
I wonder if disabling the AFM at this point would provide any benefit, do keep us posted as to what you decide to do, even if that is trade it in...
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by robcentral
Chevy should take a look at Honda who just recalled their cars for excessive oil consumption. They did the right thing.
"Right thing" was only after a class action lawsuit ,they initially denied customer complaints..http://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-settlements/lawsuit-news/4946-class-action-settlement-reached-over-honda-accord-oil-defect/
Old May 27th, 2015, 6:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default GM ain't ****

I bought a 2008 Chevy Suburban 1500 LS in March 2015. It had 89,541 miles on it, so I thought it was a steal. Guess again!! We're now two months into it and the check engine light is blinking off & on, engine stuttering, truck vibrating like crazy when at rest, Service Stabilitrak and Traction Control light stays on no matter if you push and hold the button or not. Now the Chevy dealership want to charge me $5,000 to fix the cam and lifts. I don't even know what that is!!! Anyhow, the dealership that I bought it from is paying half under my 1 year warranty. I don't know why GM won't recall these damn vehicles between '07-'11, especially the trucks. It makes no sense. I wish there was something I could do about it.

Last edited by rparker1976; May 27th, 2015 at 6:51 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old May 28th, 2015, 4:06 PM
Administrator

rparker1976 Welcome to the forum..
the cam shaft and lifters are what actuate the valves to the cylinders of the engine allowing fuel to enter and exhaust gases to exit...
In a nut shell you are getting a top engine rebuild because those items have been severely damaged and the engine for the lack of a better description cannot breathe... Yes it is now known as a design defect, you should also know that the rebuilt engine can potentially suffer the same failure again...

One of the signs of impending failure is oil consumption, that and an oil analysis showing high metal content... I "tune" can be applied that will disable the AFM option however it will impact your over all MPG...
You might also make sure they replace the deflector in the oil pan for the AFM as well.. see this thread for more details..https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...g-69230/page3/

Please do let us know how it all works out and keep us posted..

Old May 29th, 2015, 4:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok a tuner don't cost much mileage I did mine 2 weeks ago and I still get 19 miles per gallon driving mostly all highway 100 round trip to work I used the ranger just plug it in and drive
Old June 9th, 2015, 2:00 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Avalanche 1500 with 5.3L, 122,000 mi, exhibiting the same rough idle, Stabilitrack warning, etc. every time I come to a stoplight ... unless I pedal the idle up to 1000 rpm. Truck runs fine down the road. I've done extensive diagnostics on the engine, eliminating possible bad coil packs, bad injectors, bad plugs, bad plug wires, then compression testing, and cylinder leak down tests. Interestingly enough, it is cylinder #5 that has an intake valve that won’t seal properly. I am going to meet this problem head-on … pull both cylinder heads, send them to a machine shop for a valve job, then reinstall with a AFM Delete Kit and a new performance camshaft. Several shops sell the under $400 delete kit (Summit Racing, Texas Speed, Lingenfelter, others), which includes new lifters, new rockers, new valley cover, oil galley blockoffs, bolts, gaskets, everything one needs. Cam sold separately ($350). No more AFM, and maybe 50 more horsepower. Sounds like a WIN to me!

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$