Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2012, 9:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I don't understand why GhostsZ71 had to pay $1,000 get something diagnosed THAT IS COVERED UNDER WARRANTY. Anyway, hope all works out for you guys.

Last edited by Monorail_Red; December 2nd, 2012 at 9:32 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 7:45 AM
CF Beginner

Monorail_Red,
I agree with you - I don't understand why Ghost71 had to fork out $1k either.

Ghost71,
WOW is right. Sounds like going the lawyer route was unfortunately the only option left for you.

Shame on GM & your dealer.

Getting a new engine with the longer warranty period of 60 months or 100K miles(I'm assuming) versus the 12 month, 12K mile repair warranty is definitely the way to go if you expect to keep your Z71. I still think you should swap your ride for a Tundra or F150, or even a RAM like me, after your engine work is done so that you can possibly get some value on a trade-in. Did you really have to shell out $1K for them to diagnose the issue or was that just a requirement in case you ended up having to pay for it?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

The dealer cgarged the $1000 to do the engine tear down. They said if it was found that excessive use I would legally be on the hook. Since no excessive use was found I was not liable for the $1000. Still carp if someone couldnt afford to pay that up front!
Old December 29th, 2012, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Default 5.3L AFM Engine Failure-Cam/Thrown Rod

New Message 12/29/2012.
I was ready to list my Tahoe for sale but I was not quick enough! Major electrical issues and now this. No joke. If you own a 07-08 Tahoe get rid of it. I love the Tahoe, the look, the drive and the feel but sell it now before it goes and GM leaves you stuck with the bill.

I had the exact sequence happen to me 5 days ago. I thought it was a Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control issue. Not so. The dealership stated it was a cam or thrown rod issue. The dealership stated this is an unresolved issue with the 07-08 5.3l AFM engines. (I am surprised this information was disclosed). My Tahoe is used to commute my kids to daycare and to work. No towing, off-roading, or racing. Regular oil changes using full Mobil One Synthetic Oil.

Engines failing at 80,000 miles is unacceptable. There is no excuse for this. I did not buy a 46,000 vehicle for the engine to fail at 80,000 miles.

I have a pending case with GM on this issue. Lets see how it goes.

Originally Posted by Silver7
Have been a GM owner for three decades. Follow proper maintenance schedules and have had great luck with truck engines, normally get over 300,000 miles before selling or gifting away.

At 145,000 miles(primarily highway and weekend hunting trips), the check engine comes on, truck runs rough, acts like it has a serious miss and receive the messages: Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control. Thought maybe a plug or two had fouled out or some other minor issue. Wishful thinking... need new lifters and camshaft. Sound familiar? I've now read several examples of this exact issue. Evidently, when some of the cylinders shut down, the lifters don't get adequately lubricated, causing failure/collapse, also damaging the camshaft. This results in a several thousand dollar repair bill that GM will not cost share due to expired warranty. I think it's a design flaw they should assist with. Maybe with all the financial troubles GM has experienced, their vehicle quality has suffered. Did I mention both front power locks failed at about 120,000 miles?

If you own an AFM equipped vehicle, be sure to swap it off before the warranty period expires. My chevy experience has come to an end. It's unfortunate, as I really like the style, handling and performance other than the faulty engine.
Old December 31st, 2012, 7:25 AM
CF Beginner

Dead Tahoe,
I feel your pain. Well got my truck back with a brand new shining engine. Truck drives as it did when I got it but I am still a bit uneasy about its life after the warranty is out. They were so petty until it became an issue that I debadged my Z71 stickers. I told then the d@** vin shows its a Z71 what does the sticker matter. So I put them back on hoping it eased the $6,800 They had to pay for the new engine and labor!! SMH
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dead Tahoe
New Message 12/29/2012.
I was ready to list my Tahoe for sale but I was not quick enough! Major electrical issues and now this. No joke. If you own a 07-08 Tahoe get rid of it. I love the Tahoe, the look, the drive and the feel but sell it now before it goes and GM leaves you stuck with the bill.

I had the exact sequence happen to me 5 days ago. I thought it was a Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control issue. Not so. The dealership stated it was a cam or thrown rod issue. The dealership stated this is an unresolved issue with the 07-08 5.3l AFM engines. (I am surprised this information was disclosed). My Tahoe is used to commute my kids to daycare and to work. No towing, off-roading, or racing. Regular oil changes using full Mobil One Synthetic Oil.

Engines failing at 80,000 miles is unacceptable. There is no excuse for this. I did not buy a 46,000 vehicle for the engine to fail at 80,000 miles.

I have a pending case with GM on this issue. Lets see how it goes.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Dead Tahoe,

Please keep us posted.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me with your case number privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 24th, 2013, 5:43 PM
CF Beginner

DeadTahoe,

Good luck with the case. I have had an 'elevated' case open for the same issue since 9 Jan 2013, my suburban w/ the LC9 engine has been sitting dead at the dealership since 22 December 2012. I have gotten nothing but a run around, dozens of ignored calls, and zero resolution from GM customer 'service'.

I had an AFM lifter go at 44k miles or so (took a cam lobe with it). Had to have pistons and rings replaced at 96k miles. Now I am at 106k miles with another AFM lifter out, this time it shattered in the block, and cannot be removed. Chevy says I need a new engine, which will end up costing me $6700. Seriously? I need to fork out the coin for a new engine after it has been rebuilt twice under warranty?

How do I know that it wasn't reassembled incorrectly LAST time it was rebuilt?

What about the thousands of failed AFM lifters that have caused the posting of three TSB's about replacing AFM lifters?

The greatest thing I have heard so far was the district representative telling me that there were 'no known issues with the AFM lifters'.

WOW.
Old January 28th, 2013, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

My Tahoe is also sitting dead dead at the dealership since December 21, 2012.
I am still in contact with General Motors and the dealership. I just turned in the oil change receipts and I am still playing their game. GM first offered to $1,000 to $2,000 towards the repair even though we still do not know exactly what is wrong with the engine. I did learn a couple of things from an independent dealership not associated with the claim about dealing with:
1. Play nice with GM. They have to think that you will be a repeat customer if they offer assistance. Don't say "I'm gonna sell this POS when it is fixed." Kiss *** and it will get you much further along.
2. GM uses a decision matrix to determine the level of assistance using factors such as how many GM's you have owned in the past, and past history of claims...etc.
3. Keep all of your vehicle related receipts.
3. Changing your own oil is a no -no since you cannot prove it.

Dear Mr. Louis GM Representative,
This is not about replacing my engine but it is about keeping a loyal GM customer. I purchased the Tahoe with the 5.3l because of the proven reliability of previous 5.3's that I have owned with out any issue. GM has issues with the 07-08 5.3's with the AFM. GM is more than aware of the issues (GM dealerships, employees and former employees). Please do the right thing and keep me as a customer.

My engine failing a ~79,000 miles is unacceptable.
Please feel free to contact me here or via phone. You have my number. Look in your system for a Tahoe with ~79,000 with an engine failure in TX.
Old January 29th, 2013, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Also, if your representative will not do his job, keep calling, keep trying to speak with his supervisor, and document EVERYTHING.

Today, I found out that my district representative has been suddenly moved from the department and is no longer handling any cases. I do not know if this has anything to do with the way he handled (or rather didn't handle) my case, or the other case he was assigned to at the same dealership. I know that I am not the only one to lodge several complaints against him.

The new rep is out of TX, and seems to be genuinely concerned and invested in my problem. Even if he isn't, good on him for acting the part. I hope that we can come to some form of resolution. With this being my 3rd GM SUV/Truck purchase, and my family owning 8 other GM SUV/Truck products, I hope to continue my relationship with them.

Thanks for the tips!
Old January 29th, 2013, 3:08 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Dead Tahoe
1. Play nice with GM. They have to think that you will be a repeat customer if they offer assistance. Don't say "I'm gonna sell this POS when it is fixed." Kiss *** and it will get you much further along.
2. GM uses a decision matrix to determine the level of assistance using factors such as how many GM's you have owned in the past, and past history of claims...etc.
3. Keep all of your vehicle related receipts.
4. Changing your own oil is a no -no since you cannot prove it.
Sound advice indeed....esp #4, when I purchased my 07 Tahoe I decided that I would have all my oil changes done at the dealership... it really doesn't cost that much more and I don't have to deal with the disposal...

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$