Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2016, 12:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, today I took out and cleaned all injectors, and had one that acted squirrelly on me. It seemed to be different than the others also, different colored o-rings. After tinkering with it, it would not spray at all when I tried to clean it. I let it sit, came back and it sprayed normal like the rest. I assumed it was stopped up and the carb cleaner cleared it. I test drove it again and it did not miss where it normally would, however on the way home it began to do it again, but much milder. When I got home I got a p1174 code again. I believe the one injector that I thought was stopped up could possibly be bad, maybe sticking closed or open. I found a GM bulliten about that code, and it leads to a stopped up injector. Because I cleaned it and still a problem, I think I will try and replace the one injector tomorrow to see if it fixes it. Does this sound like the culprit of my problem? I am trying to diagnose this myself without the expense of a dealership or mechanic. If I had a computer that showed what cylinder I was getting the missfire on, it would make life much simpler, but I guess for now it's still trial and error.
Old February 1st, 2016, 4:29 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I think you are on the right track
Old February 10th, 2016, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Posted a few weeks back. Picking my truck up today with newly refurbished engine. Trying to clear up the $7,000 cost by asking a few questions here.

Should the engine already come with the new oil pump and water pump?

I'm also told a few parts are needed for the updated valve cover. Weird?

Now I'm told my oil pressure sensor needs replacing. Shouldn't this be included on the new engine?

Anyone have luck working directly with GM regarding the oil consumption issue and all?

Thanks for the advice.
Old February 12th, 2016, 5:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oil pump should be new ,sometimes the use water pump over if in good shape ,oil sending unit should be included
Old February 15th, 2016, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JonCich
Posted a few weeks back. Picking my truck up today with newly refurbished engine. Trying to clear up the $7,000 cost by asking a few questions here.

Should the engine already come with the new oil pump and water pump?

I'm also told a few parts are needed for the updated valve cover. Weird?

Now I'm told my oil pressure sensor needs replacing. Shouldn't this be included on the new engine?

Anyone have luck working directly with GM regarding the oil consumption issue and all?

Thanks for the advice.
I didn't have an oil consumption issue, but I did have a camshaft and lifter failure. I contacted GM in regards to my camshaft and lifter failure. It was after I took the vehicle to the dealership for repairs. To make a long story short, I told them my problem in regards to how my camshaft and lifters failed and I never had a loss of oil, but the service department said that the camshaft and lifters failed due to oil not getting where it should have. When I questioned the dealer ship about it, the dealership said my claim was denied. A couple of weeks later, out of curiousity, I contacted GM and was told my claim was not denied. A couple of weeks after I contacted GM, I received a check for $1,000.00. They called it a settlement. I wished they would have paid more, but I did not push it. I should have, but I didn't. I sometimes think they would have paid the whole amount if I did not approve the repairs before they had a chance to intervene, but I will never know for sure now.
Old February 16th, 2016, 7:15 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Trudat
I didn't have an oil consumption issue, but I did have a camshaft and lifter failure. I contacted GM in regards to my camshaft and lifter failure. It was after I took the vehicle to the dealership for repairs. To make a long story short, I told them my problem in regards to how my camshaft and lifters failed and I never had a loss of oil, but the service department said that the camshaft and lifters failed due to oil not getting where it should have. When I questioned the dealer ship about it, the dealership said my claim was denied. A couple of weeks later, out of curiousity, I contacted GM and was told my claim was not denied. A couple of weeks after I contacted GM, I received a check for $1,000.00. They called it a settlement. I wished they would have paid more, but I did not push it. I should have, but I didn't. I sometimes think they would have paid the whole amount if I did not approve the repairs before they had a chance to intervene, but I will never know for sure now.
GM did nothing for me. I had the same issue as you for the most part. What year and miles do you have on your rig? I was told that my 08' is too old for GM to help subsidize the costs associated with the placement.
Old February 16th, 2016, 7:34 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JonCich
GM did nothing for me. I had the same issue as you for the most part. What year and miles do you have on your rig? I was told that my 08' is too old for GM to help subsidize the costs associated with the placement.
I have a 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche. My vehicle went down in December at around 49600 miles.
Old February 16th, 2016, 1:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Trudat
I have a 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche. My vehicle went down in December at around 49600 miles.
Hmmm interesting. I may push back once again.
Old February 18th, 2016, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same issue on my 2008 Chevy Tahoe with 116k miles. The dealership just dropped a bomb on me telling me it will cost 6400. I am floored that an 8 year vehicle that is hardly driven but on weekends would bomb out in the manner it did. I have been loyal to chevy trucks and I am really baffled at this one. Stablitrack Control Service control engine light flashing to find out I need the new stuff.

Does GM care that it seems its a flaw with their product??
Old March 26th, 2016, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default same story, same song

Originally Posted by Dead Tahoe
My patience and persistence paid off. GM agreed to cover the majority of the new engine replacement. My my warranty expired 60 days prior to the engine failure but I was under the 100,000 miles. 60% GM/40% Me on the replacement cost .This is maximum amount the GM decision matrix will cover in this type of situation which as confirmed by an GM dealer not associated with this case. It was determined the engine failure was not due to maintenance but due to an original manufacturing issue. The cause of the engine failure was due to a dropped valve. The dropped valve in cylinder #7 shattered the piston, bending the rod, causing the rod to throw the bearing. I was not required to front a $1,000 to tear down the engine like I read in a earlier post. The most updated engine will be installed so hopefully no more AFM related issues. I only get a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty which I think is shady but it is a new engine.

Overall, General Motors did a good job in the whole process. I will be a repeat customer.
I just got my 2007 Tahoe back from my mechanic who, unlike the dealer service rep, was up front with me about the problem andnthe why of it. It cost me $3, 400 to get it back... where I go from here? Not sure; I'd certainly like to disengage the mechanism that shifts back and forth between V4 and V8...

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$