Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 24th, 2015, 5:34 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community expertsBrowse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2013, 7:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My patience and persistence paid off. GM agreed to cover the majority of the new engine replacement. My my warranty expired 60 days prior to the engine failure but I was under the 100,000 miles. 60% GM/40% Me on the replacement cost .This is maximum amount the GM decision matrix will cover in this type of situation which as confirmed by an GM dealer not associated with this case. It was determined the engine failure was not due to maintenance but due to an original manufacturing issue. The cause of the engine failure was due to a dropped valve. The dropped valve in cylinder #7 shattered the piston, bending the rod, causing the rod to throw the bearing. I was not required to front a $1,000 to tear down the engine like I read in a earlier post. The most updated engine will be installed so hopefully no more AFM related issues. I only get a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty which I think is shady but it is a new engine.

Overall, General Motors did a good job in the whole process. I will be a repeat customer.
Old March 17th, 2013, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys, I'm new to the Forum. Just bought a "preowned certified" 09 silverado crewcab LT 4x4 5.3 aluminum block 6 speed trans at the beginning of Dec 2012. It had 38k on it, I had to take it in last week because it had oil line and trany lines that were leaking also had the dealer change the oil while it was there. I picked it up on Thursday march 13th, everything got fix and I was happy with the work. Saturday march 16th my dad, brother and I all went down to Indy to watch the supercross race from MI about 450 miles round trip. On the way home while going down the highway I noticed a tick coming from the motor pulled over and nothing was out of the ordinary other then it was a little low on oil. Mind you it was about 1:30 am and I was still about 150 miles from home. So I filled it up and off I went on regular 2 lane roads at 55 mph. About 20 miles later the motor completely granaded, oil pouring out so im sure it threw a rod through the block. Still 110 miles from home a dead on the side of the road. This was all with out much warning, all 3 of us are pretty mechanically smart guys. The check engine light did not come on at all until about a min till it blew, the light flashed on and off about 4 times so I started to pull over and that is when it blew. And to top it all off the oil pressure gauge never dropped pressure even after it puked all the oil out and was struggling to get it off the road. So now I had it towed to the dealer were I bought it (100 miles away) and will go pay them a visit first thing Mon morn. And it only has 44k on it!

Last edited by crewcab_09; March 17th, 2013 at 5:45 PM.
Old March 18th, 2013, 2:44 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

crewcab_09,
We're sorry to hear that this happened out on the road. How did your visit go this morning? Let us know if there is anything we can check into for you!
Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service
Old March 18th, 2013, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

Went in today and they had not got it in yet. So I just talked to the service manager and let him know what happened. They called me back and told me they put it up on the hoist and found a 3 inch hole just below the starter on the passenger side and that none of the techs there have ever seen something like that with that motor. So most likely it threw a rod but that is as far as they got into it today. So far no problems and no out of pocket cost, was even told they would reimburse me for the 250 dollar tow bill to get it to the dealer. Keeping fingers crossed that it all goes smooth.

Last edited by crewcab_09; March 18th, 2013 at 7:16 PM.
Old March 19th, 2013, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

Dead Tahoe did they replace it with a new 5.3 crate motor or a rebuilt one? Did they give you a choice
Old March 25th, 2013, 9:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Silver7
Have been a GM owner for three decades. Follow proper maintenance schedules and have had great luck with truck engines, normally get over 300,000 miles before selling or gifting away.

At 145,000 miles(primarily highway and weekend hunting trips), the check engine comes on, truck runs rough, acts like it has a serious miss and receive the messages: Service Stabilitrac & Traction Control. Thought maybe a plug or two had fouled out or some other minor issue. Wishful thinking... need new lifters and camshaft. Sound familiar? I've now read several examples of this exact issue. Evidently, when some of the cylinders shut down, the lifters don't get adequately lubricated, causing failure/collapse, also damaging the camshaft. This results in a several thousand dollar repair bill that GM will not cost share due to expired warranty. I think it's a design flaw they should assist with. Maybe with all the financial troubles GM has experienced, their vehicle quality has suffered. Did I mention both front power locks failed at about 120,000 miles?

If you own an AFM equipped vehicle, be sure to swap it off before the warranty period expires. My chevy experience has come to an end. It's unfortunate, as I really like the style, handling and performance other than the faulty engine.
I also have driven a chevy for going 25 years. Always have had good luck with them! Until now!! I have a 08 silverado ltz 4x4 with active fuel management. I started having problems at 100,000 miles. Dropped a lifter! The dealership fixed it no problem. I was very pleased and I got a 12,000 mike warranty on the repairs!! We are now going on the fourth time having the lifters replaced. The last time I had to pay for half because I went over the 12000. Now it's only been 4000 miles since the last repair! I am told "there is no problem with the lifters but we will put updated lifters in it for you". My question is if there is no problem why the updated lifters? I am so frustrated. I have always paid the higher prices to drive a "better vehicle" this is third time in Aprox a year I have to go two weeks without my vehicle. Not to mention I work in the oilfield and travel, and it cost me 500 plus dollars to have truck towed back to dealership. Short of dropping the almost fifty thousand dollars to get a new vehicle comparable to what I have does anyone have any advise???
Old March 25th, 2013, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by GhostZ71
Silver7,

Yes, I am not at all happy about this. Chevy knows there is a design flaw yet they are pretending the problem would just go away. It will along with the costomers. I love the look and ride of the truck but I need reliabilty. I am afraid that the issue would resurface in a few years when I do not have warranty. I now had to authorize $1,000 to cover the teardown of the engine so it can be inspected. No updates with 1 week of downtime. I am really looking at a Ram or Tundra as my christmas gift to myself!

I am going on my 4th attempt to repair. They have replaced all the lifters 3 times and the cam once. But beware if you drive 2000 miles past the 12000 mile warranty on the repairs you will be footing at least half of the bill
Old March 26th, 2013, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default Mykc2 - GM Got You Too - Here's an Option

I drive a ton of miles & exceed warranty quick.

My 2 cents (what I did) - Buy a RAM 1500. I grabbed the 5.7L Hemi 4x4 Crew, then ADDED the insurance program. Luckily, the dealer provided it at their cost at closing. Yes, it costs a couple grand more, but you can spread it out over the life of your loan.

The Silverado was a nice truck. If GM and/or my dealer would have offered even a small amount of assistance I probably would have remained a customer. Out of warranty is what it is. The experience left a bad taste in my mouth. It would take something significant to bring me back to GM.

I have nearly 12K miles on the new RAM and so far so good. Additional power of the 5.7L Hemi over the 5.3L AFM is really something.

Silverados still have good resell values. Swap it off before everyone else discovers what we did.
Old March 26th, 2013, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

It is sad to see the state of GM "Customer Service". After months of fighting, calls being ignored, and stonewalling, GM decided not to assist with my claim. They said that because I did not have the rear differential serviced on time (I did it a few thousand miles after the recommended service interval), they said they were unable to offer more than 10% discount. Not quite sure how the rear diff can cause multiple lifter failures. I sold the Suburban broken, right out of the repair bay it was sitting in. I still had to pay the $800 teardown fee out of my pocket.

Having been a multi-generational GM loyal customer, with 6 GM family purchases in the past few years, I am leaving GM.

No, there is nothing on the market with the versatility of the Suburban, but I have replaced it with a Ram 3500 quad cab diesel and a loaded Chrysler Town and Country. Would have bought a Chevy 3500 diesel and another Suburban if it had not been for this unbelievably poor experience.

Goodbye Chevrolet.
Old April 3rd, 2013, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so I got a new crate motor in the truck gonna be all finished with it tomorrow. All in all could not complain about much but the warranty. Got told that because the motor was replaced under the factory power train warranty that it is only covered until that is up which is only a year. I would think it would at least come with a 2 year 24k warranty. Any thoughts?

Last edited by crewcab_09; April 4th, 2013 at 1:45 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 5.3l AFM "Blown" Lifters & Camshaft $$$$