Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 Chevy Silverado 1500

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500

Voltmeter shows Battery is good and Alternator is good. Battery still going dead. In Dec 2011 battery was going dead on random days. Then, for 5 months no problems, until last week when Truck wouldn't start. Had clicking. Had battery load tested.. came back good. Checked Alternator with Voltmeter, 14 V. I have an after market car alarm/autostart, could this be draining my battery randomly? Do I have a short somewhere? What else can I do to determine what the problem is?
Old May 29th, 2012, 8:52 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup it can
but you need to find out what is killing bat
Start by unhooking alarm for a week or two then if you still have problems try radio window seats and on
Old May 29th, 2012, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

I bought my truck used.. I do not know where the alarm is located, do I just pull the fuse?
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> hotshotjack,

The aftermarket alarm could be the cause. You stated that the battery and alternator are good, how about the wiring? Any loose connections? Corrosion? Any other aftermarket equipment?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 29th, 2012, 2:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Noooooo lol
Old May 29th, 2012, 2:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Under dash look for a box most are black
should be a cluster of wires take note of them most times its held on with zip ties see if u see a name on it or the remote may shed a clue then Google owner manual
some have a fuel shut off if tampered with but try unpluging cluster of wires on that box and see if truck start/runs don't kill battery
sometimes there will be a wire at battery terminal or fuse box that looks like it's extra

BEST TO TAKE IT TO SOMEONE IF YOU DONT KNOW AS IT CAN KILL YOUR TRUCK
Old May 30th, 2012, 6:06 AM
CF Beginner

I took my truck to Best buy and they showed me where it was, I disconnected the (Ultra) black box under the dash. After meeting with them, my battery died while sitting there, they charged the battery to 80%. This morning no issue, I will give it a couple of weeks and see what happens.
I called the Tech support for the brand or remote start/alarm system, the guy said the smaller module can sometimes go into sleep mode or something and cause the battery to drain. But who knows, hopefully this works and then I can figure out whats wrong with the box.
Old May 30th, 2012, 7:49 AM
CF Beginner

What does Tach and Tachless mean for Auto Starters?