Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Chevy Silverado Engine Hot Light

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2011, 6:57 AM
wgf
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no worries.
i've currently driven approx 500 miles since replacing the thermostat.... no DIC warnings or pending ODB error codes.

EinST, was the first to spell it out for me.
Address the ODB code first ( in my case, P0128). fix that and the "ENGINE HOT.." message will go away.
the message on the dash is a bit of a 'red herring'
in fact, we would all be better served if the message just said something like
"SOMETHING IS WRONG, PAY ATTENTION"

there is no particular reason, why replacing the thermostat would be the soluton for everyone but the list of suspects should be short and logical.
-sensor
-connectors and wiring
-thermostat
-coolant level
-control module
-maybe a few others, but no voodoo.

regards,
-bill
Old November 8th, 2011, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the dealer and the thermostat is covered on the 100,000 mile warranty, so I guess I will let them take care of it on there dollar. It doesn't make sense that they would give a code of P0128 that has an explanation of "engine temp always too cool", and then send the message "engine hot". Leave it to software engineers to confuse that issue.
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default engine hot/ ac off

Just wondering if anyone else is hearing a squeaking...like a bad belt when all of the other things with the temp. gauge....and the engine hot notice is going on? Im having the same problems as all of you with the addition of the terrible whining. It sounds like its either the belt or a pulley. Changed the belt but it didnt help.
Old November 15th, 2011, 12:37 AM
CF Beginner

Bought the vehicle....didnt even make it home when this started! Ouch!!!
Old November 15th, 2011, 7:42 AM
CF Beginner

When this happens the auxiliary fan starts up which only runs when the computer thinks there is a high engine temperature. You may have an additional problem of a bad bearing in the auxiliary fan. You will see two fans facing the radiator. The drivers side fan is the auxiliary fan.
Old March 25th, 2013, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

Just happened on my 2008 4.3 liter work truck which has no A/C. Code read A/C turned off engine hot, and temp guage was not working.....No other warning lights on, and cooling fans were on......Engine ran fine, and did not seem hot, but I shut it down for 5 hours. Same code came on when I started it later, but after driving for 5miles, temp guage started working and message of A/C etc was gone. Truck has only 43k on it, and other than speakers going out, been good truck. Will be talking with dealer, as truck was bought 4yrs and 10 months ago, so warranty may cover bad thermostat.
Old April 1st, 2013, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Took Truck to GMC dealer I trust, and there was 12 days left on 5 year warranty. Dealer replaced thermostat. Truck now runs at 210 temp like when new, instead of the 200 temp in last year before problem ocurred. No problems now, and all work was paid by warranty with NO HASSLE!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Changing the thermostat fixed it for me
Old April 7th, 2013, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

...Got the same prob. sure appreciate hearing all your reports! Thanks! Very Much! I'M definitely going to try,' the replacing the Thermostat.' It seems to work from the way it sounds. Man what a great site!
Chevy's rule!

Last edited by Apachegeorge; April 7th, 2013 at 2:19 PM. Reason: grammar
Old April 7th, 2013, 2:32 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Apachegeorge Welcome to the forum

Please do follow up with what you find... works or not as you may save someone else some headaches...

Quick Reply: 2008 Chevy Silverado Engine Hot Light