Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old July 23rd, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

2008 silverado 1500 big problems.

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2011, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had the same issue on my '08 Silverado. I replaced the mega fuse to no avail. I ended up pulling the fuse block out. I found the cable end from the mega fuse to the fuse block dirty. It's a stab connector into the bottom of the fuse block. There's an insert in the cable end (serrated). I removed the insert, cleaned it and the cable end with scotchbrite and also cleaned all the stab connectors on the block. So far all is well. Poor design by GM on this one for sure. Fix lasted about 2 weeks and problem is back again. Battery is good (load tested), replaced mega fuse, cleaned all power connections including grounds. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by Finback; June 18th, 2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: update
Old June 3rd, 2011, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mhaney

This ain't it. But I just got recall on my 08 for sparkplug wires shorting out causing misfires. Which I had, moter starts craping out and all kinds of things happen.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 5:15 PM
CF Beginner

Default It's fixed!

I finally found the problem with my truck. The factory positive battery cable was faulted inside the crimp. The flickering door locks and other gremlins progressively got worse. Finally the truck wouldn't start and I checked the voltage at the battery (12.68 v.) I only had .4 v. at the mega fuse. The cable end read 12.68 v. also but when I checked the cable where it went into the end it read .4v. I went to Autozone and bought a new end ($3.75). I had to turn the battery around (the stock cable end is elevated to clear the caps). I had plenty of cable on both the negative and positive cable to reach. I ditched the fancy plastic sleeve on the positive cable. When I cut the old terminal apart I found the cable was overheated and couldn't be detected (without x-ray vision). I'm thinking that if you install a jumper from the battery directly to the mega fuse and your problem goes away, this might be your trouble also. Good luck to all. This is a very frustrating problem. I did take some pictures. Send me a message with your email and I'll forward the pics.
Old July 3rd, 2011, 8:21 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

good find finbackI'll shoot you an email and I'll post the pictures if your not able too...
Old July 3rd, 2011, 8:44 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Here are finback's pictures, Thanks finback for sending and sharing..
Attached Thumbnails 2008 silverado 1500 big problems.-orig.jpg   2008 silverado 1500 big problems.-fixed.jpg   2008 silverado 1500 big problems.-inside.jpg  
Old July 3rd, 2011, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks! They're on the way.
Old July 4th, 2011, 9:32 AM
CF Active Member

You know that's something the dealer should have caught the first time in. I think you better start researching places or other dealers with real repair technicians.
Old July 14th, 2011, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Default mine to

Originally Posted by blktrk4man
Hi, I have an 08 I purchased dec of 08, had 29000 miles on it, I have only put 6000 miles on it since I bought it and the last two months I have been having the strangest things happen, been to the dealer 3 times with no luck, hoping someone here may have had similiar issues. When driving down the road, out of the blue the power door locks go on and off, dashboard emblems flicker on and off, radio goes on and off, then it comes out of it, then when I go start the truck, theres nothing there, like someone took the battery out of it, wait a few minutes and it starts up fine, this has been going on for 2 months and lastnight it wouldn't start and it still sits there, its going in again to the dealer but I'm pretty much fed up, does anyone have any ideas or similar experience with yours? It acts like a ground but they have checked everything, problem hasn't happened at the dealer which makes it more difficult, hoping now that it won't start they can figure it out. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
mine is doing same thing 2008 crew cab 4.8
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default FIxing that same problem on the truck??

Originally Posted by Finback
I finally found the problem with my truck. The factory positive battery cable was faulted inside the crimp. The flickering door locks and other gremlins progressively got worse. Finally the truck wouldn't start and I checked the voltage at the battery (12.68 v.) I only had .4 v. at the mega fuse. The cable end read 12.68 v. also but when I checked the cable where it went into the end it read .4v. I went to Autozone and bought a new end ($3.75). I had to turn the battery around (the stock cable end is elevated to clear the caps). I had plenty of cable on both the negative and positive cable to reach. I ditched the fancy plastic sleeve on the positive cable. When I cut the old terminal apart I found the cable was overheated and couldn't be detected (without x-ray vision). I'm thinking that if you install a jumper from the battery directly to the mega fuse and your problem goes away, this might be your trouble also. Good luck to all. This is a very frustrating problem. I did take some pictures. Send me a message with your email and I'll forward the pics.
There is a someone in the family that has the same problem with his truck. We should pretty much redo all the wire connections that involve the battery and alternators and fuse box? I am willing to rewire everything and replace those factory terminals as long as I can fix this truck. I should be fine then?
Old October 12th, 2011, 6:11 AM
CF Beginner

It worked for my truck. It's been fine since April. I may just do the negative cable end also just in case. BTW..my neighbor just bought a 2011 Silverado. The battery cable ends are completely different. I guess Chevy figured it out too but won't come clean.

Quick Reply: 2008 silverado 1500 big problems.