Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 silverado 5.3 flex fuel 1500 P0301 replaced two spark plugs in #1

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2012, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 silverado 5.3 flex fuel 1500 P0301 replaced two spark plugs in #1

I own a 2008 silverado. About 57,000 miles I received the code where it was turning off stabilitrack and traction control. The truck was misfiring. I took the truck to a delaership they had said the #1 spark plug was cracked and was replaced. Afterwards, there was still a stumble and severe oil consumption about 2-3 quarts every 3000 miles. Fast forward about three weeks ago with 87,000 miles and 25 days left on the drivetrain waranty. The same problem occurred. I took out #1 spark plug and it looked really bad. I replaced all of the spark plugs marked each spark plug with the piston #. The truck still had the check engine light on and gave me the misfire code on #1 (P0301). This week, I took it to a different dealership than where I had first reported the problem. the tech told me they had several bullitins for this particular truck. He told me they would replace the lifters, redo the valves and replace the valve covers. Then I would have to go through the oil consumption. Now, I am thinking this might not really make much of a difference in solving the actual problem. Plus concerned I only have 25 days left with the waranty. I guess the tech says it really is a manager call on what the next steps will be.

So far, it is has been in the shop for 24 hours and still waiting to hear back from the service center for GM. I like the truck though do not like what it is doing since I know my other vehicles never had this problem with misfiring, rough idle, bad gas mileage, lifter ticking, excessive white smoke on startup duing cold weather and oil consumption. Plus, it overheated on me when I pulled a trailer smaller than the GVWR requirement. I really was overheating at 220 when pulling over small hills.

Also, it is normal for 210 reading all of the time? What should I press for the dealership to do?

This is on a crew cab 2008 silverado 1500 5.3 flex fuel 4x4.
Old October 16th, 2012, 4:53 PM
CF Beginner

Angry

Well, I guess I do the oil consumption log. I am going to keep taking it to the dealership. Funny thing... Nothing was done when I brought in the vehicle with the misfire code. Other than they cleared the code and looked at all of the replaced spark plugs. I walked out of the dealer without any charges. I guess it is good it is documented under the current waranty.

GM... Really??? Oil burning in newer vehicles? I did ask where was the leakdown test and the compression test. None was done. Though the dealership did acknowledge GM does have some things todo as each time it fails the oil consumption log:

Replace valve covers
Clean out all old oil deposits
Add old deflector shield
replace lifters and camshaft
replace pistons and rings... Then my next question is then what? Chances are the cylinder walls are not in spec anymore. Nor will the camshaft bearings when they replace the camshaft.

Really frustrated since I do own a C1 corvette and have less problems with the engine. I guess I should demand a new motor at some point. I did bring up to the service guy does EPA know that GM has new motors burning so much oil?

Maybe I should look for a draft tube out of the engine?
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 2008_1500,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your Silverado vehicle.

Please keep us posted of the consumption test. Feel free to contact me privately with any questions or concerns.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old October 19th, 2012, 2:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

What did the spark plugs look like?
Old August 3rd, 2014, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

does anyone know if the 2014 ac delco plug is normal to have a different part number than the 2008 one I take it is a upgrade
Old August 3rd, 2014, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

i can not tell if i have afm there is no sign of it in cluster or book or any where on truck i have the 5.3 v8 four speed rear wheel drive i noticed most ive seen is six speed trans or 6.0 engine
Old April 29th, 2015, 12:19 AM
CF Beginner

Default Flexfuel failure

Can you tell the common causes for my 07 Avalanche to have check engine light and why the flex fuel quit working.