Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado cruise control is not working

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2014, 8:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have replaced my brake light switch twice in the past 3 years. The second time, not only did my cruise control work intermittently, but I noticed my brake lights would stay on. I had to tap my brake pedal repeatedly to get them to cut off.

I replaced the brake light switch (less than 20 bucks) and it fixed both problems.

I suspect the white grease that is used on the switch gets into the electrical plug and may cause the intermittent operation. Next time I will wipe it down thoroughly and see if it helps.

I just bought a brand new Kubota tractor and promised my wife I would drive my 2008 Silverado until the tractor is paid off. That is another 5 years.

Next project on Silverado is new speakers and door actuators on both passenger doors. GM and electrical circuits have never been friends.
Old June 14th, 2014, 5:56 AM
PKK
CF Beginner

Default 2009 SIlverado Cruise Control Not Working

OK, so like others here my cruise control stopped working without warning. Occasionally it would work for a few minutes then mysteriously shut down and refuse to re-engage.

I read this forum, and noted that several others with older models identified the source of the problem as the brake light switch. I also noted that GM's "Social" engineers suggested you take your vehicle to a dealer to check for ECM issues.

Well the members of this forum are who I chose to listen to and they were 100% accurate. The source of the problem turned out to be the mysterious brake light switch, which is really a connecter, that failed due to high resistance (apparently from heat generated by the thin wires into the connector). The design principle is that the switch realizes the driver is applying brake pressure, immediately sending a signal to the brake lights and subsequently interrupt's the cruse control, which is why they are all wired into the same connector. Makes sense, right?

One of the forum members posted a link to a youtube.com video which identifies the location and how to repair. It's actually pretty simple to do once you find the connecter. It's located above and to the left of the brake pedal. The hardest part of the repair is working underneath the dash in a tight area. If you are a little larger than average (I'm 6'4") you may have an issue with this. If you are one of those people and aren't even slightly mechanically inclined you can get any local repair shop to do the job for you. Labor from a non-GM dealer will run between $50 and $70. At a GM Dealer it will be between $100-125. You can do this repair yourself in 30 minutes.

The part, which I purchased from my local Chevy Dealer, cost a whopping $14.39 with tax. More challenging than the labor is identifying the GM part number, which as noted in the forum no one had identified.

For the record the GM part number is 15861245 the AC Delco part number is also 15861245. If your dealer doesn't have it in stock you may be able to find it elsewhere but typically dealers stock them (GM Service Parts Operations,608 Caperton Boulevard, Martinsburg, WV 25403).

You can also obtain the part from Amazon. Found below is a link to the part on Amazon (nice photo and description) which they sell for $11.34 as of June 14, 2014. (sorry it looks like the forum site is blocking the link...just visit amazon and type in GM#15861245)

Robot Check

Good luck.
Old June 15th, 2014, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

I have bought the switch at both Advance Auto and O'Reilley's a couple of times. They always have them in stock. However, I have had to replace them on 3 occasions, so I am on my fourth switch. Not sure if the off market ones are just bad or there is something wrong with the GM electronics. Either case could be likely...
Old June 16th, 2014, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Silverado cruise control

my cruise control on my 2008 Silverado 5.3 worked only intermittently and then quit completely. Someone pulled me over and said my brake light were flashin on and off very quickly. I purchased a new aftermarket brake switch from ebay, installed it, and it's been fine ever since. My cruise control and my brake lights work great. I found that replacing the switch was not that easy. Just make sure that you watch how the old one comes out. Hope this helps. RAM49
Old June 18th, 2014, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Default Silverado brake light switch

You guys need to read my post search Silverado brake light switch. You may not need to replace part. Just remove break light switch grease and adjust (have someone watch brake lights for you). You might need to drive for awhile to let grease work in.
Old June 30th, 2014, 9:30 AM
CF Beginner

2007 chevy silverado cruise control is not working and the light in the steering wheel is not lighting up when pressed? Where are the fuses at to check? Thanks
Old February 9th, 2015, 8:56 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2009 Silverado Cruise control

I have the same intermittent cruise control problem on my 2009 Silverado. When it doesn't work all I have to do to get it working is to hook my foot under the brake pedal and pull it back toward the driver. I am assuming something in the switch has gotten weak. My guess is that I need to replace the switch since it is not adjustable, just have not gotten around to it yet. The posts on how to replace this switch are helpful. Thanks!
Old February 10th, 2015, 9:07 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Neverstoplearning
I have the same intermittent cruise control problem on my 2009 Silverado. When it doesn't work all I have to do to get it working is to hook my foot under the brake pedal and pull it back toward the driver. I am assuming something in the switch has gotten weak. My guess is that I need to replace the switch since it is not adjustable, just have not gotten around to it yet. The posts on how to replace this switch are helpful. Thanks!
Don't replace the switch just yet. It is very sensitive & when lube on the post gets stiff (cold) it prevents the switch from centering on the post. Get some brake cleaner & spray the post & don't remove the switch. Just wiggle it up & down a bunch. Then when clean & dry, squirt some light lubericant ( like CLP for guns). It should be good to go for you. I have to do mine every couple of years. Switch is still good.
Old May 8th, 2015, 11:01 AM
CF Beginner

Did you figure the problem it because I have same problem
Old June 1st, 2015, 7:13 PM
CF Beginner

Default Remove & Clean Brake Switch

Remove & Clean Brake Switch using 10mm wrench, small flatblade, pocket knife and contact cleaner worked for me! Thanks for the insight to a quick no-cost fix:-)
Originally Posted by Lisa Crawford
Just wanted to say that by removing the brake switch and cleaning the contacts with electrical cleaner and reassembeling , the cruise control now works as advertised, thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado cruise control is not working