Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 23rd, 2015, 5:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado cruise control is not working

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2015, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control

I have a 2008 Silverado LT, 2WD, 5.3L. Over the past few months my cruise control has worked and not worked for no apparent reason. Some days I would get in it to go to work and the cruise would work normally and if I had to hit the brakes for any reason it may or may not come back on at all. Now we're to the point where it doesn't work at all anymore. The on/off switch still lights up and I have checked all the fuses. I have no idea where to begin.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old June 15th, 2015, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Check previous posts in this thread. Several different fixes.
I suggest start here.
Just a FYI
On my 08 Silverado LTZ the Cruise Control would not engage when temp got below about 60 (I live in FL). The light on steering wheel would lite,but it would not engage. Worked great when it was warm/hot out.

I unplugged the harness from the brake light switch on the brake pedal and squirted it with contact cleaner and swiveled it up and done with out taking the switch out. That exercized the spring a bunch of times and it has worked great since (one winter, two summers).

Maybe the switch gets dirt in it and does not fully release.
Old July 18th, 2015, 9:59 AM
CF Beginner

Proper operation of Cruise Control is electronically tied to the brake light ( stop lamp) switch on the stem of your brake pedal. If that brake light switch goes faulty you will either have intermittant Cruise ... or none at all. I accidentally discovered this after a few kicks to the brake pedal made the cruise work again. I changed out the brake light switch and all was perfect again !
Old October 8th, 2015, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Needing some help.

We have a 2008 Silverado z71 2500hd 4wd. We lost our cruise control a while back. Before it completely quit working it would be engaged and fine but if I hit a bump it would disengage. Now the light on the steering wheel will come on but not on the dash. We have tried just about everything. Then what ever sensor it is that recognises your in park went out. So now you can put the truck into gear w/o pushing the brake. Not to mention the door locks constantly freaking out. Finally blew a code which says it was the tranny. Took it to a Mechanic who seems to believe it is an electrical issue or bushings in the gear shift. We checked the bushings and they are a bit worn but fine. In the midst of having the column torn apart found that the pin that pops out and locks the gear shift in park was stuck in. Lost the indicator that shows what gear you are in. Noticed while that is gone there is a clicking after you push on the brake pedal. Funny thing is after going wood cutting and bouncing around the shifter has worked fine resolved all the other issues but still no cruise control. Not sure if the brake pedal switch you all are talking about would contribute to the gear shift issue as well or does it sound like we have a short? Trying to figure out where to start chasing the electrical ghost we seem to have.
Old October 9th, 2015, 3:15 PM
CF Beginner

REPLACE YOUR BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH on your brake pedal. My 08 had most of the problems you describe. One day on the highway I couldn't get cruise to work so out of frustration I kicked the brake pedal one or two times while hitting the SET button on the st wheel for cruise. IT CAME ON ! So, when I got home I went to parts store and bought a switch which cost less than 20 bucks. Install time is about 15 minutes to 30 mins ...depending on any trouble getting the old one out and new one in. you don't need a dealer to do this. Every mechanic in the world should be able to do it in that amount of time. Basically, it's just ... unplug old switch, remove old switch, install new switch and plug it into the harness again. My mechanic replaced mine in 10 minutes in the parking lot !
Old October 9th, 2015, 3:45 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you! I will order one today and keep you all posted.
Old October 17th, 2015, 6:55 PM
CF Beginner

My 2008 Silverado LS had the same problem as other posters with the cruise control suddenly failing. Changed out the Brake Switch and all is good.
Old October 31st, 2015, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Ok All, I just went through the brake stop switch located above the brake peddle. I took it out (it has a funky clip you need to wrestle with to remove it) disconnected the electrical connector and physically took it apart. The contacts sit in the housing that's kind of sloppy and can shift side to side so they don't make contact (there are 3 contacts). Anyway, I sprayed contact cleaner all around, reassembled, put a little grease at pivot point and reinstalled it. Voila! Works fine lasts until the contacts shift again. When it stops working just take your left foot and kick the switch at the brake peddle once or twice and try the cruise control again. That should get you through. Good luck!
Old March 2nd, 2016, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same cruise control issue, but I changed out the brake switch and the cruise still doesn't work. Any suggestions on next steps?
Old March 2nd, 2016, 3:30 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy90
I'm having the same cruise control issue, but I changed out the brake switch and the cruise still doesn't work. Any suggestions on next steps?
Hello Andy90,

We’re sorry to hear that your vehicle has been experiencing this cruise control concern. We’d be more than happy to look further into this on your behalf. If interested, please reach out to us by private message with your VIN, current mileage, full contact information and name of preferred dealership.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado cruise control is not working