Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2014, 1:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here

Same issue as most of you here. Only my driver's door speaker started having issues last year. Quit working...would come back once in awhile and sound absolutely fine. Thought there was a loose connection or something, but a mechanic I know said it looked like the speaker was blown. Finally had enough money to buy some pioneer speakers....sure as heck can't afford to have the dealer do that work....every time I go to a Chevy dealer any more it's like $500 to walk out the door sad to say. Saw someone else mention the Evap system...yep, been there. They chased it through the engine compartment...chased it back in the fuel lines. 6 check engine lights and 4 trips to the dealer later, they finally found a pin hole leak on the module on the fuel tank. Funny how one guy wouldn't cover any of it under warranty and it cost me like $600.00 that day and sat at the damn dealer ALL day....the next guy covered every bit of it under warranty. Talk about shady. Then they tell me I have a couple oil cooler lines that need to be replaced probably the next time. Took the sheet they gave me, went to my cousins shop, he ordered the hoses from Chevy, and did the job for less than half the cost.

Any way, buddy of mine on the fire department helped me put the front speakers in today...figured only have the one out but I'll replace both fronts. Not a perfect mounting job compared to most guys standards, but who cares, you don't see them any way. Given the issues I've heard about moisture, took the extra step put nice heat shrink covers over all the connections. Turn it on, speakers sound great. Problem solved right? Wrong. Speakers worked when my truck was at the fire station. Speakers worked on my way home from the fire station. Going to my other job tonight, a mile from home, driver's side speaker quits working. Now obviously GM will say we obviously screwed something up, but yep, passenger's side still works. For the life of me can't fathom this kind of crap. It worked just fine, sounded awesome...then just quit again. Makes me think that there must be a short or something in a wire....but I sure can't afford the time and diagnosis fee from a Chevy dealer to have them chase down the wires and probably like a lot of you, end up having them say they need to replace the radio, which more than likely wouldn't fix the problem...and of course been out of the bumper to bumper warranty for quite some time now.

Feeling like this has every thing to do with cheap connectors, cheap speakers, cheap wiring...probably going to end up taking it to my cousin's engine shop to have one of their guys look at it...see if we can chase down some wires and check some connectors. It just amazes me how it is only one door. The rear speakers of my extended cab work fine, the passenger's door works just fine...and the driver's door with the new speaker worked fine, for a couple hours.

Sad because I freaking love my truck...but it sure hurts when you spent that much money on a vehicle to find out how little support you actually get for an ugly price.

Last edited by Freesbri; January 29th, 2014 at 1:16 AM.
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But, but, they laser etched your VIN on your wheels. Don't you feel you need

TPMS and stuff like that, more than decent speakers?
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

I've been dealing with my speaker problem for some time now. I live in Maine, where winter temp fall below zero on a regular basis.

What I find odd is when the temp fall below around 10 deg F some of the speakers work. One Sat morning in early Jan the temp was -26F and all the speakers worked fine.

I talked to the Dealer where I bought the truck and may as well have written a letter to Santa Claus, maybe I should move to the North Pole where it's cold year round.
Old February 9th, 2014, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

first the driver side door speaker quit playing in my 2008 silverado then a couple of months later the passenger side stopped working. I'm wondering if it is a radio problem. Burnt channels maybe??
Old February 17th, 2014, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

What happened to the Customer Disservice guy Louis? If it's only every person on here with a 2008 GM truck having this problem, there is no way it is a quality issue. I mean you guys must be doing something wrong. I'd suggest you take it to the dealer and let them tell you they don't know what's wrong with it, but they'll sure look into it for you! I have been having the exact same issues as everyone else for a few months now. Stereo only plays out of the "tweeters" unless it decides to do something different (especially when it is cold). And the cruise control work when it wants to. I have the answer, to both problems, but absolutely no thanks to Chevy or GM. I love my truck, but will have to consider another brand when I trade out. I hate that, I wish customer service were better. Of course, I doubt the other guys are any more responsive! Thanks for all of the advice, this one has been driving me crazy.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 3:08 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by therewolf
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

But, but, they laser etched your VIN on your wheels. Don't you feel you need

TPMS and stuff like that, more than decent speakers?
I hate the TPMS on my truck - what a waste of money - right along with the pathetic traction control and speed limiter.

I had heard that the radios in these things are junk so I replaced mine right off the bat along with the speakers.

Old February 23rd, 2014, 4:29 PM
CF Active Member

-----and lets not forget the dumbest thing of all - "possible icy conditions - drive with caution"

give me a break
Old February 24th, 2014, 7:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugly
I hate the TPMS on my truck - what a waste of money -
Ah, it was a rhetorical question. I was being rudely sardonic.
Old February 24th, 2014, 7:39 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by therewolf
Ah, it was a rhetorical question. I was being rudely sardonic.
I knew that I still hate it.
Old March 7th, 2014, 10:05 AM
CF Beginner

I am having issues with the speakers in my 2008 Silverado. Looks like others have had similiar issues. The dealer that I took it to did not help! Has anyone had any luck in finding out the problem or resolving the problem?

Last edited by graykat; March 7th, 2014 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Added to original message.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue