Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old December 2nd, 2014, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cpt_jack
What happened to the Customer Disservice guy Louis? If it's only every person on here with a 2008 GM truck having this problem, there is no way it is a quality issue. I mean you guys must be doing something wrong. I'd suggest you take it to the dealer and let them tell you they don't know what's wrong with it, but they'll sure look into it for you! I have been having the exact same issues as everyone else for a few months now. Stereo only plays out of the "tweeters" unless it decides to do something different (especially when it is cold). And the cruise control work when it wants to. I have the answer, to both problems, but absolutely no thanks to Chevy or GM. I love my truck, but will have to consider another brand when I trade out. I hate that, I wish customer service were better. Of course, I doubt the other guys are any more responsive! Thanks for all of the advice, this one has been driving me crazy.
How do you fix it? My left side speakers go out all the time and I have to turn the radio all the way up to barely hear anything. Then driving down the road all the sudden the kick on and scare me to death or they don't turn on at all...
Old December 24th, 2014, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

I checked speakers on an 07 Silverado with same issue and it turned out to be bad speakers. I checked this with another speaker and it worked.
Old April 24th, 2015, 7:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Just bought a 2008 Avalanche and noticed that the RH speakers didn't work. Then I went back to the truck and turned the radio on to see if the pillar speakers worked and found the RH speakers working. Thanks to this post, I'll replace the poor quality GM speakers when I also replace three poor quality GM automatic door locks that don't work.
Old April 29th, 2015, 3:16 PM
CF Junior Member

I bought four of the recommended Kenwood speakers and have installed the left door speakers when also replacing/repairing the door actuators. I cut the OEM speakers out of the plastic frames and fastened the new speakers to the frames using four of the provided screws for each speaker. It makes a very nice installation behind the OEM covers. Sound is great. I'll do the right side as soon as I am prepared to remove the door panels.
Old May 7th, 2015, 6:49 AM
CF Beginner

Friesland Custom Wood Products LLC's Avatar

Default Junk Door Handles and Radio/Speakers

Chevy Rep, is there a recall on the speakers/radio/door handles? I have always been a Ford guy and just bought my first GMC Duramax, the speakers only work 5% of the time and the door handles bend and feel like they are going to fall off. Are these recalled at all? Why are there so many people with exact same issues. Underwhelmed thus far (except for the fenominal ride quality and mpg ).
Old May 8th, 2015, 9:51 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Friesland Custom Wood Products LLC
Chevy Rep, is there a recall on the speakers/radio/door handles? I have always been a Ford guy and just bought my first GMC Duramax, the speakers only work 5% of the time and the door handles bend and feel like they are going to fall off. Are these recalled at all? Why are there so many people with exact same issues. Underwhelmed thus far (except for the fenominal ride quality and mpg ).
Hello Friesland,

We can certainly look into this further for you. Please feel free to send us a private message along with your VIN. Looking forward to your response!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 3rd, 2015, 6:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default same problem at 27,000 miles

Originally Posted by kdavis4998
I had 2 working and now none. Only ones working on my 08 are the tiny ones by the windshield. Sounds like a tin can. Any ideas?
I use my truck on the farm and only have 27000 miles on it in 7 years. I am having same problem with my speakers and now a short in passenger side door window. Absolutely ridiculous that Chevy is having these problems and have not done anything to correct it. I guess my next truck will be something else besides Government Motors. If anyone figures out the problem please post the answer.
Old June 4th, 2015, 11:54 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shendricks
I use my truck on the farm and only have 27000 miles on it in 7 years. I am having same problem with my speakers and now a short in passenger side door window. Absolutely ridiculous that Chevy is having these problems and have not done anything to correct it. I guess my next truck will be something else besides Government Motors. If anyone figures out the problem please post the answer.
Hello shendricks,

We regret to hear that you're thinking of leaving the brand because of this. We truly apologize for any trouble you've encountered with your Chevrolet Silverado. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of your speaker and shortage concern? We'd be more than happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf for assistance. If this is something of interest, please send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old June 6th, 2015, 5:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello shendricks,

We regret to hear that you're thinking of leaving the brand because of this. We truly apologize for any trouble you've encountered with your Chevrolet Silverado. Have you made your servicing dealership aware of your speaker and shortage concern? We'd be more than happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf for assistance. If this is something of interest, please send your VIN, mileage, contact information, and preferred dealership in a private message.

We hope to hear from you soon!

Jasmine F
Chevrolet Customer Care
Jasmine,
I appreciate a response however I don't see why I would contact any dealership because my truck is now out of it's warranty period. I had one warranty service done when it had under 5 k for the transmission. All the dealership will do is put the same poor quality speakers that GM put in it from the assembly line and I will be right back to the same situation in a couple years. I have been a loyal Chevy owner since I bought my first new truck almost 20 years ago. In my opinion I should not be having or had any of these problems for the miles I have on the truck if GM is using quality products to build these trucks, considering the price you pay for them new from the dealership.

After doing research online it seems to be a speaker issue so no recall would ever be done because it does not effect the safety of the vehicle. If GM was worried about keeping customers happy they would have sent out a Technical Service Bulletin for the Dealerships and notified it's customers of the issue. A customer should not have to upgrade to Bose speakers to have the speakers last the life of the truck.
Old June 18th, 2015, 1:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down

I've been reading on this website for a few months, but this thread punched me in the gut.
This is my first post – too bad it's to complain.

My passenger window stopped working recently. I had a window replacement guy look at it. He said the switch at the driver's control on the armrest was gone. He opened up the panel on the armrest, bypassed the switch and the window came right down. Then he told me the switch was $131 OE????

Also, my RH door speaker hasn't worked in 8 years.

Mines way out of warranty (2003 Z71) but it dismays me to see that this is a problem many of us have and it was never recalled...like the rusting tailgate cables.

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue