Notices
2007 - 2013 (GMT900) Section for all discussion related to the 2007-2013 Chevrolet and GMC trucks.
Old August 10th, 2015, 11:17 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2012, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2008 LT Suburban has the same two issues. My front door speakers and possibly one of the rear door speakers are intermittent and are mostly off but come on every once in a while. Only the rear speakers and dashboard diamond tweeters work consistently. Also, I discovered by accident that if I stick my foot under the brake pedal and lift up, the cruise control will sometimes come on. I'm interested to try this I found:

Originally Posted by mark1500
Well I had the same issue with my cruise and found something on the web that finally worked. There is a brake switch that is connected to the brake pedal and master cylinder rod under the dash. I removed the clip and harness and you can take it out of the vehicle. I took the cover off and found two of the contact pads had black marks on them, so I took the switch completely apart and cleaned the contact areas with 1000 grit sand paper. I re-assembled and installed the switch and it has worked for the last month on demand every time without a hiccup. Seems this is the root cause and although it may happen again it was an easy fix. The switch could be replaced as well, but nobody was open(weekend) which caused me to investigate myself.
Old July 28th, 2012, 6:39 AM
CF Beginner

Default Speakers Suck

Originally Posted by sledheadred
wow, im having same problem, guess no one has the answer eh?
i replaced all 4 speakers... took about 3 hrs. that was three weeks ago and everything is working well. I check the balance / fade almost daily and have had zero issues. no issue w/cruise control.
Old August 17th, 2012, 5:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Silverado door speakers

All you people having door speaker issues it is not the wiring or head unit but the speakers themselves. I have changed out my factory radio cd player for a Kenwood head unit with Ipod connection but retained the factory speakers and it sounded pretty good until the door speakers started to cut in and out. Have replaced the door speakers with Pioneer 6.5 3 ways. Sounds great. Can I put the same ones in the rear side panels? I own a 2 door '06 silverado long box.
Old August 18th, 2012, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

the herd:
I don't know about the 06 but my 08 long bed uses the same speakers front and rear. I went to www.crutchfield.com and ordered some Pioneer speakers. The nice thing is that the speakers came with some speaker adapter cables that interface the new speakers to the Chevy connector and they come with a special adapter that allows the speakers to mount to the receptacle in the door. I am very happy with the speakers and installing them solved my problem.

Ed
Old September 21st, 2012, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

Same Thing on my 08 Silverado. Of course It's now out of warranty. With so many posts and probably thousands of people that haven't seen this site to describe their issues, It sounds like it could definately be a good reason for a recall. It sounds great when the radio and speakers work, but horrible when it acts up. Then only half the speakers function and they sound distorted, then when it decides to work properly again, It blows you out of the truck and scares the crap out of you.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
CF Beginner

You would think they would want to keep coustomers happy, almost time for the average owners of 2008 to trade in for new ones, but with problems like this, I am thinking of looking around, my passenger side control from the drivers side window control does not work now, only on warm days,I am going to try to see if just the panel for the windows comes out to see what is wrong with it. But as for a recall, not a chance, not a safety issue so no need to.
Old September 23rd, 2012, 2:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default same problem on my 08

i have a 08 crew cab z71 Lt and my driver side front and back speakers come on and off as well most of the time they don't work and then they just come on ! have had an audio shop look at it and they say its the speakers just don't have the money to replace them right now! why cant one of you Chevy reps do something about this problem? i have a 97 Chevy silevrado wit 328000 mile on it and still own it this why i buy Chevrolet but must admit not as impressed with the 08 as i still am with the 97 customer satisfaction seems to not be high on a priority list anymore! just my 2 cents!
Old September 25th, 2012, 2:56 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 4pepper
Same Thing on my 08 Silverado. Of course It's now out of warranty. With so many posts and probably thousands of people that haven't seen this site to describe their issues, It sounds like it could definately be a good reason for a recall. It sounds great when the radio and speakers work, but horrible when it acts up. Then only half the speakers function and they sound distorted, then when it decides to work properly again, It blows you out of the truck and scares the crap out of you.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> 4pepper,

Have you had the vehicle inspected for this issue?

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

So if Chevy knows that there is a problem they need to do something to fix it. My brother, father-in law and i have the same 2008 1500 and are all having this problem. So i guess the olny thing to do fix it is to replace all of my speakers.
Old September 26th, 2012, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Chevy customer service Lou, do you report any of this about the radios to the GM warranty or claims dept???
Just curious, all these guys are saying the same about the speaker on the same side and the same year truck, sounds to me there is a problem that GM needs to address to current owners.
I am going to replace mine soon when I get the money, but it REALLY stinks when your radio does not sound good because of cheap factory speakers!

Quick Reply: 2008 Silverado Radio/Speakers issue