Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2008 silverado randomly will not start HELP

Old March 1st, 2012, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 silverado randomly will not start HELP

I have a 2008 silverado 1500 ext cab z71. In December I put a new battery in because I believed the old battery had died. Ever since I changed the battery my truck will randomly act like it has a dead battery and not start at all. No lights..no clicking..nothing. when I unhook the battery and hook it back up it will start right up. The clock resets and the temp control resets to preset. It has happened at least 25 times. I checked all grounds and battery connections. The battery has been tested by the dealership and it is good. The dealership "checked" my fuses and ran a test on it. They could not get this to happen while they had it and said everything checked out okay. They said to have it towed there if it happens again. Who has time for that? I'm hoping someone has experienced this and can give me some ideas. I love the truck but thinking about trading in if I can't fix it. Please help
Old March 1st, 2012, 9:54 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mitchm80,

It may be a connection issue with the 175 Amp Mega Fuse. This is just a suggestion, not a diagnosis. I encourage you to have the vehicle inspected for this issue. Your technician should be able to offer additional information.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...trouble-49067/
Old March 10th, 2012, 4:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default possible fix???

I unhooked all the wires to the 175 Mega fuse and took the fuse off. It looked to be in good shape. I put it back together and tightened better than what it was before. I have not had a problem with the no start since I did this. Maybe it just wasn't tight enough???
Old March 12th, 2012, 1:51 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> mitchm80,

It is a possibility. I'm happy to hear you were able to find the source of the problem. If you have any questions in the future, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 15th, 2012, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

it happened again.... today I was pulling my boat to the lake. On the way I noticed that stabil track off was flashing from time to time on the dash. When I stopped the truck and turned the key off everything died. I unhooked the battery and reconnected it. The clock went back to 1200 and AC was on default. Any ideas???? Please help