Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2009 Silverado - Can I add DIC and/or Bluetooth controls?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Silverado - Can I add DIC and/or Bluetooth controls?

My new truck didnt come with the DIC controls or Bluetooth for the radio. Is it possible to add either or both OEM parts after the fact? If it matters is has OnStar but no nav.

I tried a search but came up empty. Great forum BTW.

Thanks
Ernie
Old June 15th, 2009, 7:56 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

yes on the DIC controls, NO in the bluetooth.
Do a search for bluefusion on the forums...I believe some of the guys in the tahoe section have been using it as their bluetooth answer with good results. It uses the steering whel controls and the display of the radio
Old June 15th, 2009, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Shawn.

Thanks about the DIC info. I did a search (found the right combination this time) and came up with the thread that explains it, cant be believe it is that easy. Just ordered the part. https://chevroletforum.com/forum/silverado-fullsize-pick-ups-21/driver-information-center-8289/

Bummer on the BT. I am considering the BlueFusion but I am torn because it will prevent me from using an Ipod interface like the Scosche or the PAC-Audio interfaces since they both seem to piggyback on the XM interface. I have an email into the guys over at CoStar to see if that might allow me to get everything to work.

About the Steering Wheel controls, mine doesnt have that either . Can that be added too? I am sure it is no where near as simple as the DIC of course.

Ernie

Last edited by aesalazar; June 15th, 2009 at 8:52 PM.
Old June 16th, 2009, 5:14 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

not sure on the steering wheel controls
as far as parts go, you need a steering wheel, steering wheel controls, SIR coil, and related wiring. The SWC comunicate through the BCM to talk to the radio, not sure if by just adding the buttons it will work or not
Old March 16th, 2010, 9:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default Adding radio controls

Hi,
Yes, you can add radio controls as the trucks are pre-wired for it.
You have to buy a steering wheel that has the controls. Take it off, and put the new wheel on, and you have radio controls. I did it on my 2008 Sierra, took me 30 minutes, and cost me 156 bucks.
Old December 12th, 2011, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

I recently swapped my VCIM for model number 20787107 on my 2007 Silverado with factory NAV. I purchased it new on Ebay for $250 including the antenna. Installation was fairly easy and everything worked! I did, however, lose my OnStar capabilities, which is fine by me and the light on the mirror is now red. I haven't even called OnStar to resync it because I am not a subscriber. I hold down the call button for 2 seconds on my steering wheel, when prompted I say OnStar and it takes me to the OnStar menu where I was successfully able to pair my phone with the information provided in the DIC screen.
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by getneal
I recently swapped my VCIM for model number 20787107 on my 2007 Silverado with factory NAV. I purchased it new on Ebay for $250 including the antenna. Installation was fairly easy and everything worked! I did, however, lose my OnStar capabilities, which is fine by me and the light on the mirror is now red. I haven't even called OnStar to resync it because I am not a subscriber. I hold down the call button for 2 seconds on my steering wheel, when prompted I say OnStar and it takes me to the OnStar menu where I was successfully able to pair my phone with the information provided in the DIC screen.
What is the VCIM you mentioned? I have the OnStar feature but am not a subscriber. In my 2008 there is no Blue Tooth ability. It sounds like you found a way to use blue tooth though. Can you elaborate please.
Old December 15th, 2011, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

I'm interested in hearing what OnStar has to say about the retro fit. Please let us know all the details. I have a 2008 w/ DIC and OnStar and Steering Wheel controls, but no blue tooth capability. That's what I want though.

Thanks
Old December 16th, 2011, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ChevTex63
What is the VCIM you mentioned? I have the OnStar feature but am not a subscriber. In my 2008 there is no Blue Tooth ability. It sounds like you found a way to use blue tooth though. Can you elaborate please.
ChevTex63 - The VCIM is the OnStar Module. In 2009 they offered the bluetooth option and it is integrated in with the OnStar module. The company on Ebay that is selling them has more for sale. They are $250 and that includes shipping and the bluetooth antenna. BLUETOOTH ONSTAR VCIM MODULE 20787107 12842801 20829984 | eBay

I have an LTZ model with Nav. You have to remove the nav, hvac controls and switches below to access it. It is located down at the very bottom of the stack and is visible when they are all removed. There are plastic clips on each side you have to push out to release the module and it slides out. The new VCIM plugs directly in to the existing harness with no modifications. The only difference on the box is that there is a plug-in for the antenna. Just be careful when sliding it back in you don't damage it. Put everything back in and that was it!

I didn't update the radio controls, as the new one has different symbols with phone icons. However, your existing controls work fine. I think they were only $20 or $30.

As I said, my OnStar light is now red and isn't activated. This never concerned me because I was only a subscriber when it was free and never even used it then. As far as I know you may have to have it reprogrammed at the dealer.

On the steering wheel I held down the "talk" button for 2 seconds and you are prompted for a command. Say "OnStar" and she will confirm you are in the OnStar menu. Then say pair and she will tell you the code, along with the code being displayed in the DIC screen. A General Motors bluetooth will appear on your phone, click it, enter the code and it was done. Then you can go in and add call tags with numbers. Then when you hold down your call button you can just say "call Mom" and it will dial her number. When a call comes in it will display the number in the DIC screen where you can answer it with the steering wheel controls.

I know a lot of people have swapped these, but very little information was documented or anything. I hope this helps!
Old December 16th, 2011, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

ChevTex63 - For some reason my reply didn't go through... The VCIM is the Onstar Module. 2009 model year they added bluetooth functionality to the module.

I purchsed the item on ebay for $250 shipping included and antenna. He also has others. BLUETOOTH ONSTAR VCIM MODULE 20787107 12842801 20829984 | eBay

I have an LTZ model with factory Nav. I removed the Radio, hvac controls and the button bank along the bottom. At the very bottom is the VCIM. There are two plastic clamps on each side you have to push out and the VCIM releases. Pull out the module and plug the new one directly into the existing harness. No modifcation necessary. The only differences in the two modules is the new one will have a plug for the antenna. When you push the new module back in, be careful to not damage the antenna. Then just put everything back together.

Press the talk button on the steering wheel for 2 seconds. Then say Onstar and she will acknowledge your command and then say Pair. Make sure your phone is in discovery mode and you will see a General Motors bluetooth pop up. She will tell you the pin along with the DIC displaying it. You can also set up call tags so you can press the talk button and say "Call Mom" or whoever and it will dial their number. On outgoing and incoming calls you will see the number in the DIC screen.

Again, my OnStar is not functioning, but I haven't used my OnStar since I had a year free. So this doesn't bother me one bit. I think you will have to have the dealership program the VIN or have OnStar do something on their end.

I hope this helps!

Quick Reply: 2009 Silverado - Can I add DIC and/or Bluetooth controls?