Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2009 Silverado LTZ dash light sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2010, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Silverado LTZ dash light sensor issue

I have a crew cab 4x4 pu. It is new. The dash lights, including the hvac and radio controls, dim during the day and get brighter at night. They should be working in the opposite fashion.

At the moment I cant see them at all during the day because they are so dim.

Have I pushed something to cause this? Is there a quick and easy fix for me to do?

I have contacted my dealer but they werent sure and would look into it and get back to me this coming Monday. If I can fix this myself I would like to avoid taking it to the dealer.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks, Scott
Old September 12th, 2010, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

I have verified I have the am/pm function set properly. The dealer seems less than interested in fixing my issue. When I had to call them back after a lengthy wait to hear from them I was told they dont know anything about why its not working properly.
No I havent taken it in since that is the only issue at the moment and I just dont have the time to drop it off for them to look at it.
If I can fix it myself Id prefer to do that.
Old September 12th, 2010, 2:17 PM
CF Junior Member

I am probably reading into this wrong, but I know that my truck has automatic lights that turn off during the day and flip on at night. Do your lights turn ALL the way off (except for your odometer), or do they actually just get less bright?

If this is the case, do you run with your lights on all the time, or have them off during the day? If they are on all the time, and still do this, I am not sure...
Old September 13th, 2010, 7:48 AM
CF Active Member

Scottan,

I have the same problem, kinda. I have to adjust the dash/radio lights all the time. It has something to do with the auto headlamps. It is turning on the lights when it thinks it needs them. Even if I turn off the head lamps (rotating my headlamp switch counterclockwise), it still keeps the interior lights dimmed as if the headlamps were still on. I have to constantly adjust the dimmer ****. This is usually a problem around dawn/dusk.

If there is a way to permanently turn off (or bypass) the sensor that detects the ambient light, YOU GUYS WOULD B my best friends as this is the ONLY think I HATE about my 08 silverado.
Old September 13th, 2010, 1:48 PM
CF Beginner

My dash lights stay dim all the time. I can barely see them during the day. The odometer stays bright. At night they brighten up when they should go dim. When I first turn off/on the radio manually they are bright then they go dim as if its dark outside.

We have daytime running lights so our headlights shouldnt make a difference. I have turned off my headlights before when sitting still andf that had no effect on brightmess during the day.

Im gonna try turning off the auto headlamp feature and see what that does.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 3:55 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Has your question been answered? If so, could you share the answer?

Vernon
Old July 26th, 2015, 11:45 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ericnottelin
Scottan,

... I have to adjust the dash/radio lights all the time. It has something to do with the auto headlamps. It is turning on the lights when it thinks it needs them. Even if I turn off the head lamps (rotating my headlamp switch counterclockwise), it still keeps the interior lights dimmed as if the headlamps were still on. I have to constantly adjust the dimmer ****. This is usually a problem around dawn/dusk.

If there is a way to permanently turn off (or bypass) the sensor that detects the ambient light, YOU GUYS WOULD B my best friends as this is the ONLY think I HATE about my 08 silverado.
I hate this exact same thing with my '14 Impala LT. Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what did they do? I am gonna get it somehow!
Old July 27th, 2015, 12:03 AM
CF Beginner

In another thread for Tahoe and a Suburban titled " for them who want to disable there DRL", there is a guy who says he has learned the ambient light sensor is a photo- transistor, and he substituted a 600 ohm resistor in its place, which made the vehicle [I]keep the instrument cluster and radio too bright [I]in real night conditions.
I have an idea, which is to try some value of resistance in parallel with the photo- transistor (say, 2000 ohms?) instead of in place of it. May do some more research, then try that.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Hello all, I searched for DRL daytime running lights info specific to 2009 Chevrolet Silverado and this thread seems to be the most relevant. Question, does anyone know of a specific thread here that shows how to mod 2009 to turn off DRLs, or add a manual switch for them? Trying not to re-invent the wheel, found lots of confusing information out there after quite a bit of time with Google. Thanks for any suggestions. 'Silver
Old October 3rd, 2017, 12:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same Issue

@scottan - how did the dealer fix this? I have the same issue.

Originally Posted by scottan1
I have verified I have the am/pm function set properly. The dealer seems less than interested in fixing my issue. When I had to call them back after a lengthy wait to hear from them I was told they dont know anything about why its not working properly.
No I havent taken it in since that is the only issue at the moment and I just dont have the time to drop it off for them to look at it.
If I can fix it myself Id prefer to do that.