Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2012, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 oil consumption

My 2010 Chevy silverado 1500 5.3L 4x4 is using oil at a rate of 1 qt/ 3k miles. My dealer has replaced the driver side valve cover gasket ( where the PCV valve is ) yesterday the truck pulled a code and I went to the dealer. #1 cylinder had a oil fouled plug. They replaced the valve cover gasket again and all the plugs on the driver side bank of engine. Sounds like Chevy might have a "design" problem with something getting overpressurized or something. There is not but a few ways that a plug can get oil fouled that I know of, and I sure dont think a qt of oil every 3k miles is acceptable. My dealer is working with me about the problem and I will post an answer when we find it.
Old February 6th, 2012, 7:13 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> grandpa3437,

I'm sorry to hear of the trouble with your Silverado. I am happy to hear that the dealer is working with you in regards to this issue.

Is there any additional information you could offer? Did the Service Engine Soon light come on, did the vehicle run ok?

If you would like, PM me your name, VIN number, vehicle mileage and the name of the dealer you are working with. I may be able to offer additional assistance in this manner.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 28th, 2012, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oil consumption

Had a discussion with a GM customer service rep ( which is by the way located in another Country ) about this problem. After trying to explain to them about this recurring problem I requested to speak to someone in the U.S.A. that might better understand what I was saying. I talked to a lady in Texas and her solution was go see another dealer. The truck still uses oil. Last oil change was 2 quarts in 5300 miles. Per the GM rep and TSB#01-06-01-011F, the TSB states:
"OIL CONSUMPTION"
The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles referenced is 0.946 liter (1 qt) in 3600km (2000 miles).
Important This rate only applies to personal use vehicles, under warranty, that are driven in a non-agressive manner and maintained in accordance with the appropiate maintenance schedule, with lesss than 58000km ( 36,000 miles), or driven at legal speeds in an unloaded ( for trucks ) condition.
I am sorry. A truck or any new vehicle should not consume oil at the rate that they are quoting in this TSB. Sounds to me that GM might have a problem with this motor and they are using this TSB as a CYA method of not fixing the problem.
If 1 quart is ok at 39000 miles, what about when you get to 80000 miles ?
My truck has fouled a plug due to oil. Thats a problem that warrants looking into. The dealer has done the PCV valve gasket replacement twice and it aint helped nothing. I would like for someone from GM to explain to me from a technical standpoint why this motor is using oil. If a PCV valve is collecting enough oil to foul a plug, GM has a problem. I think something is fishy and they dont want to discuss it
Oh by the way was the emission control system for this engine designed to compensate for a quart of oil, or more, every 2000 miles.
P.S.
Been using Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic since the first oil change. The dealer where I purchased the truck has done all of the maintence
Old March 28th, 2012, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Interesting, I better go check mine. You would think that much oil would leave a sign of departure.