Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2010 Silverado stabiliTrak question

Old January 4th, 2012, 5:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Silverado stabiliTrak question

Hi there, I am in here, and have a question

I bought a 2010 Silverado LT in June and have now been getting the stabiliTrak light coming on now and then. One day its off the next day it comes on, then it might be off for a week, then start coming on again.

Is there anyway to check or reset this system?
Why would this light be coming on?

Any help would be great

Thanks in advance

Rev500ss
Old January 4th, 2012, 9:15 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Rev500ss,

StabiliTrak is an advanced computer controlled system that assists the driver with directional control of the vehicle in difficult driving conditions.

StabiliTrak activates when the computer senses a discrepancy between the intended path and the direction the vehicle is actually traveling. StabiliTrak selectively applies braking pressure at any one of the vehicle's brakes to assist the driver with keeping the vehicle on the intended path.

When the vehicle is started and begins to move, the system performs several diagnostic checks to insure there are no problems. The system may be heard or felt while it is working. This is normal and does not mean there is a problem with the vehicle. The system should initialize before the vehicle reaches 20 mph (32 km/h). In some cases, it may take approximately two miles of driving before the system initializes.

If cruise control is being used when StabiliTrak activates, the cruise control automatically disengages. The cruise control can be re-engaged when road conditions allow.

If the system fails to turn on or activate, the StabiliTrak light along with one of the following messages will be displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC): TRACTION CONTROL OFF, SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL, STABILITRAK OFF, SERVICE STABILITRAK. If these DIC messages appear, make sure the StabiliTrak system has not been turned off using the StabiliTrak on/off button. Then turn the steering wheel clockwise from the nine o'clock position to the three o'clock position. If this clears the message(s), the vehicle does not need servicing. If this does not clear the message(s), then turn the vehicle off, wait 15 seconds, and then turn it back on again to reset the system. If any of these messages still appear on the DIC, the vehicle should be taken in for service.

The StabiliTrak light will flash on the instrument panel cluster when the system is both on and activated.

I hope this information is helpful!

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service
The following users liked this post:
Rachel Zarantonello (June 22nd, 2020)
Old January 6th, 2012, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your reply, that looks like it came straight from my manual. either way I will try to reset the system next time if and when it happens.

Thanks for your help

Rev500ss
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default stabilitrak

Hello Louis, I too have been experiencing intermittent messages with 2010 Silverado 4x4 DIC. No rhyme or reason but becoming more frequent. After reading your post I tried the suggestions. Messages rotate from "service", to "traction off" etc. No change in performance. Turning the wheel from 3 to 9has no effect. It does reset after shut down. I observed however, that sitting still, in Park, after a reset, all I have to do is slightly turn the steering wheel and it triggers the sequence again. Could this be a front wheel sensor issue? Thanks, Greg
Old March 11th, 2013, 4:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Is the service engine soon light coming on? A bad wheel sensor, "should" set a code (C00**).
And it could even be just a bad idiot light in the cluster.
Old March 11th, 2013, 7:19 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ablue79
Hello Louis, I too have been experiencing intermittent messages with 2010 Silverado 4x4 DIC. No rhyme or reason but becoming more frequent. After reading your post I tried the suggestions. Messages rotate from "service", to "traction off" etc. No change in performance. Turning the wheel from 3 to 9has no effect. It does reset after shut down. I observed however, that sitting still, in Park, after a reset, all I have to do is slightly turn the steering wheel and it triggers the sequence again. Could this be a front wheel sensor issue? Thanks, Greg
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> ablue79,

I’m sorry you are experiencing this issue. I recommend consulting with a certified technician for additional assistance. They will be able to provide more information after physically inspecting the vehicle.

If you need assistance locating a technician near you, please PM me your zip code.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old March 12th, 2013, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response. No "service engine" light. I suppose I will go to dealer for a code check. Our local dealer wanted $100 to run diag. on it. We have another dealer 30 min. away. I will try them. Truck has 70,000. Should be a warranty issue. Correct? Thanks, Greg
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FINALLY FIXED, "SERVICE STABILITRAK & TRACTION CONTROL DIAGNOSTIC PROBLEM:
"SERVICE STABILITRAK",
"SERVICE TRACTION CONTROL",
"HARD SHIFT 1-2 GEARS"-(STABILITRAK TURNING OFF-CLUNK NOISE)
"STABILITRAK OFF",
"TRACTION CONTROL OFF"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUSE:
FUEL WAS 45% ETHANOL @ 85-(COSTCO GAS)-COMPUTER WENT INTO LIMP MODE CAUSING (AFM) TO GET STUCK AND NOT RESET COMPUTER.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SOLUTION:
DRAINED & CLEANED GAS TANK-
CHANGED FUEL FILTERS (*ONLY IF NEEDED)
CLEANED INJECTORS-
RESET COMPUTER-
FILLED GAS TANK WITH NO ETHANOL- (Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada)
TOTAL AMOUNT WITH TAX: $444.86
REFERENCES
(STABILITRAK CLUNK NOISE): https://chevroletforum.com/forum/sil...uestion-47580/
(AFM)-Definition: Active Fuel Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(ETHANOL): Common ethanol fuel mixtures - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(GAS STATIONS WITHOUT ETHANOL): Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
Old July 5th, 2016, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

I am having the same problem with my tahoe. it says service stabletrack, tractions control, brakes, & tire monitoring system. do you know a technician near 80206 Denver?
Old July 10th, 2017, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Similar problem is creating hazard.

I bought a new 2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 in January 2010. The truck currently has 78,224 miles on it. From the beginning there has a been a problem. At 19,873 miles the stabilitrak and reduced power lights came on and the trucks speed would drop to about 30 mph creating a dangerous driving situation. The same scenario happened at 37,643 miles, 57,522 miles, and 78,224 miles.
I took the truck back to the dealership each time and was told the problem was the accelerator pedal/sensor and they replaced the parts. The second time I took the truck back for the same problem, someone from GM contacted me after I raised questions and concerns in an online discussion group. To Chevy's credit, the woman who contacted me was able to extend the warranty.
This has been harrowing for me in the past on the interstate as I tried to cross traffic and exit at 30 mph. Since she works in town, my wife has been driving the truck and the same thing happened to her in June, 2017. She was turning left across morning work traffic on an uphill grade when the power reduced and she was creeping broadside to traffic coming over the hill on a state highway. Her words were, “Scared the bejeebers out of me.”
I am again told the problem is a sensor/accelerator pedal issue that makes the stabilitrack light come on and the truck go into reduced power mode. The pattern has been consistent, treat the symptoms but don’t fix the problem, which is a safety hazard. When the service rep told me it was the sensor in the accelerator pedal I was not surprised, same old tired song. The dealership has a clear record of the same part failing, my concern is what are they doing to find the cause of the failure. Replacing the part offers does not instill any confidence.
Justin, the “service” manager, called. I told him the problem had not been fixed and he said according to his records it had. I replied the symptoms had been treated again but the problem had not been fixed. His comment was the “fix” lasted 16 or 17 months so it was fixed. He misses the point, there is an underlying cause for the same part to continue failing and creating unsafe conditions when driving.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Silverado stabiliTrak question