Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2011 1500 2wd Silverado Cruise Control

Old October 23rd, 2013, 2:10 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 2011 1500 2wd Silverado Cruise Control

Could someone suggest a possible cause why my Cruise shows the light and indicates its on, but it will not engage at any speed? I have checked for brake pedal droop, power fuse is ok, I believe the trailer brake control is aftermarket because it is a box attached to the dash panel at the right knee position. the truck shows it came with the tow package however I was told if the trailer brake switch had been factory it would not be attached to the outside of the dash panel. and was told if a small amount of voltage is bleeding through the trailer brake switch it will deactivate the cruise. I have not been able to detect any though. any help would be appreciated. Larry72023
Old October 24th, 2013, 7:46 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Larry72023,

Sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with your cruise control not engaging. We'd be happy to look more into this for you and verify your original vehicle options. If you'd like for us check into this further, please feel free to PM us your VIN and mileage.

Thanks

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 25th, 2013, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you Amber, any help would be appreciated. I did not test drive the vehicle on the highway to reach a cruise speed, only made sure the cruise light came on when I turned it on with the steering wheel switch. I am otherwise very happy with my Truck I purchased from Gwatney Chevrolet in Jacksonville Ar. I have not ask them to repair it as I knew the factory warranty was expired on it when I purchased it. I have a 2001 Silverado with 168,000 miles on it that I have had for years so I was not overly concerned at the milage. here is the information you ask for. 102,000 Miles, 3rd owner, Vin # 3GCPSE07BG185737
Old October 25th, 2013, 10:13 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi Larry 72023,

Your original vehicle options does include standard cruise control. Unfortunately, since I am not a technician, I'm unable to advise on a possible cause as to why your cruise control isn't engaging. We primarily rely on the dealers for diagnosis and vehicle repairs, but I understand your choice to not visit the dealership since you are no longer in warranty. If you change your mind, don't hesitate to let us know-- we'd like to stay involved throughout the repair process. Hopefully you come across someone on the forum with similar concerns and a fix! Best of luck.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old October 25th, 2013, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Larry 72023, welcome to the forum... here is some info that may help....
The first 2 could be good places to start...
Make sure when the brake is pressed it is activating the brake lights and all switches attached to the brake pedal are activating...
Check for any diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) that may be related to the cruise control

Each time the Cruise Control System is disengaged, the ECM will keep track of the reason for system disengagement. The last 8 disengagement reasons will be recorded within the ECM memory, and can be viewed with a scan tool.

Cruise Control Inhibited
The engine control module (ECM) inhibits the cruise control operation when any of the following conditions exist:

• The ECM has not detected a brake pedal activation from the body control module (BCM).

• A Cruise Control System DTC has been set.

• The vehicle speed is less than 40.2 km/h (25 mph).

• The vehicle speed is too high.

• The vehicle is in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL, or 1st gear.

• The engine RPM is too low.

• The engine RPM is too high.

• The system voltage is not between 9-16 volts.

• The Antilock Brake System (ABS)/Traction Control System (TCS) is active for more than 2 seconds.
Old October 26th, 2013, 6:33 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Larry 72023,

Your original vehicle options does include standard cruise control. Unfortunately, since I am not a technician, I'm unable to advise on a possible cause as to why your cruise control isn't engaging. We primarily rely on the dealers for diagnosis and vehicle repairs, but I understand your choice to not visit the dealership since you are no longer in warranty. If you change your mind, don't hesitate to let us know-- we'd like to stay involved throughout the repair process. Hopefully you come across someone on the forum with similar concerns and a fix! Best of luck.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Amber I am aware that my truck came with standard cruise control, and I am also aware I have no warranty on the truck. I wasn't asking for warranty. I thought I had made that clear in my original post. I was just asking if anyone here had a trouble shooting suggestion for me. one administrator here did offer some good information and I appreciate the help. I am a retired Automotive department Teacher from the City of Cabot Ar. which is near Jacksonville and I sent Aaron the Service Manager of Gwatney Chevrolet several of my very best Senior Students who were in fact hired by Gwatney Chevrolet in the 1990's and early 2000's. so I will use the information from said administrator and connect a scanner and troubleshoot the vehicle. now may I please ask why you bothered to reply to my post at all? was it to record who owns that Vin #? if so please let me know and I will send you all my information for your records.
Old November 1st, 2013, 7:04 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi Larry,

I apologize if my interaction with you was unhelpful-- that was not my intention. I requested your information to do further research on our end specific to your truck, in regard to your cruise control question. I've since documented your concerns within our system and if there is ever anything else we can try and assist with, feel free to let us know.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 2nd, 2013, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you Amber
Old November 4th, 2013, 5:52 PM
Official GM Rep

You're welcome Larry-- not a problem.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care