Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2011-2015 2500hd vibration/shaking

Old March 26th, 2014, 11:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011-2015 2500hd vibration/shaking

I have had my 2011 chevy 2500hd 4X4 since it was new, (ordered it). I have had the vibration/shaking problem since it was new. To make a long story short this truck has had 2 sets of wheels and 10 tires put on it, vibration analyzers put all over it, drive shaft taken out and re-balanced, you name it they did it. I drove a 2015 2500hd at the service managers request with him 2 weeks ago, it had the same wheels and tires my truck has on it, 20" aluminum wheels with the Goodyear 265/60R 20 tires and that truck did the same exact same thing mine does starts Vibrating/shaking between 70&80mph, Now here is THE GOOD NEWS, today I drove a 2015 2500hd that had the 18" aluminum wheels with the Michelin tires, it was smooth, so the service manager had the service department take those tires and wheels and put them on my truck. ! PROBLEM SOLVED !, took it up to 85mph and was smooth. I wish I could have kept them on there, now I have to see what GM sais, This ought to be fun. Everyone else needs to check into this.
Old March 27th, 2014, 5:41 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Moonlighter625,

I’m glad to hear that the vibration concern has been solved! I understand that you went to your dealership for service to be done on your truck in order to find the resolution for your concern. Please feel free to follow up with us about your dealership visit. I will be glad to document your feedback within our system. Please send us a private message if interested. Thank you.

Kristen A.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old March 29th, 2014, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 chevy 2500hd 4X4 vibration/shaking

Kristen, this has not been officially been corrected yet!, until Chevrolet/GM fixes the problems with all that the same people having the same problem as mine then the problem has not been fixed yet, This is happening with the 2011's - 2015's with the 20" wheels and those Goodyear 265/60R 20" Tires, those tires are what the problem is, the tires are junk, and until they change those tires they will not get rid of the vibration /shaking problem, there has been countless hours spent on these trucks trying to find the problem and it's the tires, and they keep putting the same tires back on these trucks, when is the light bulb going to come on???????????. I am a Retired Master automotive technician and a A&P Mechanic, I know my way around. Call Tony at Bob Steel Chevrolet (Service Manager) he can explain it to you.1-321-632-6700.
P.S. Mine has not been fixed until Chevrolet fixes it, and it has been in work since I bought it new in 2011.
Old August 21st, 2015, 10:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6

Hi. I Have a 2014 2500hd 14k miles and it is hopping mostly at all speeds. been in for service many times. new tires, wheels, road force balance ect... tires were bad & then replaced... but still did not solve the problem. I am devastated. 64k for this truck and I cannot use it. 73 mph it hops so bad my kids don't want to even ride in it! even at 10 mph it does it now. Oh man.... does anyone have any suggestions? It feels like something is bunching up in the rear end. The scope says it is the tires??? just put new warranty tires on it. Thanks! -Dave F.

Last edited by djf177; August 21st, 2015 at 10:28 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 4:37 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you running OEM recommended tire pressures when empty? If so, that is way too much air in those tires. Many of us run 50-55 psi in 2500 tires when empty or even light loaded. Some even running only 45 psi.

The auto/pickup OEM's try to shoehorn everyone into the same mold. Commercial trucks, in contrast, have load / pressure charts for tires based on loading. My heavy truck tires have 120 PSI max pressure stamped on the side, But at even gross weight I carry, the recommended load pressure is only 95 PSI. If I was hauling less, recommended pressure is less. I have tried to get a load / pressure chart thing from the tire OEM's for our pickups, and they just punt back to GM. GM doesn't make the tires, so how would they know for certain what is the appropriate pressure at various load weights? They don't, so they just recommend the pressure if you have the pickup at maximum gross weight. Oh, running those commercial truck tires at 95 psi? My drive tires just turned over 434,000 miles and still have 8/32 tread left with nice even wear.

From my own anecdotal experience, running the lower pressures when light, I gained a little in mpg and better control. With the high pressure, the tires were "hopping" over little road stuff, which caused micro braking from the anti slip feature of the pickup. Tire wear was more pronounced and mpg was less. Of course, if someone is going to load up, then increase the pressures back somewhere to the OEM recommended ball park. keep in mind also, if running the high recommended PSI when empty, you are beating the snot out of your suspension components and wearing them out faster.

Last edited by Cowpie; August 23rd, 2015 at 4:40 PM.
Old August 24th, 2015, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

I put the Chevrolet 18" aluminum wheels with the Michelin 18" tires on my 2500hd and it fixed the problem. I took the 20" wheels off along with those Good Year tires and it rides smooth. I bought the Wheels and tires myself because Chevrolet at the time did not want to do it, their Engineers said it would not fix the problem. OK.
Chevrolet has never reimbursed me one red cent.
Old August 28th, 2015, 1:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That could be why I have never experienced the problem with my 2015 2500. I have the 18" wheels and michelins that were stock setup. Seems kinda strange that rim size would make the difference. But then, I have heard of crazier things in the past.
Old August 30th, 2015, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

New to posting here but I thought I might as well share my issues. I bought a new 2015 Silverado 1500 LT, 4 wheel drive, crew cab, standard box, with All Star Edition 2 days ago. Has 17" Bridgestones. Test drive I thought was a little harsh but (of course) salesman said it was a little stiff because of new. Test drive was around town so no major highways. After purchasing, headed back home and noticed that you could feel every little road imperfection in the steering wheel and also noticed some steering wheel shake, even on smooth roads. Got to my dirt road and could feel every little stone along the way through the steering wheel. Checked the air pressure in the tires but all were within limits. Took it back yesterday but couldn't get out of the deal. Will start my process next week with their service manager to see if it can be fixed.