Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old August 17th, 2012, 9:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wade, this is not an incredibly common problem although i have seen this happen before. i have also seen the oil pan misdiagnosed as a rear main. the rubber plug in the picture you posted, are access holes to get to two nuts on the oil pan. when i get these in with oil leaks, which isnt often, it is normally these two nuts that are allowing oil to pass through. keep your manners about you, and just watch the oil level for a few weeks. if the leak persists the problem is fixable, and im sure your service department at your dealership will be able to fix you right up.
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default Pan Gasket

To GM_tech92, please read the post before giving matronly advice. The previous post was from another 2011 Silverado 4.3L V6 owner, capspop, with an oil leak at 4500 miles. I can relate to him.

My leak, noticed at 2222 miles was determined to be from the pan gasket after driving around with dye in the oil for two weeks. I do not know the details of the capspop post.
Old August 18th, 2012, 10:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by Wade Quick
To GM_tech92, please read the post before giving matronly advice. The previous post was from another 2011 Silverado 4.3L V6 owner, capspop, with an oil leak at 4500 miles. I can relate to him.

My leak, noticed at 2222 miles was determined to be from the pan gasket after driving around with dye in the oil for two weeks. I do not know the details of the capspop post.
i was speaking to both of you.
Old August 20th, 2012, 1:06 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by capspop
Brought my 2011 Silverado 4.3 regular cab in for it's first oil change at 4500 miles.. Oil Leak at main seal...... no confidence in product anymore.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> capspop,

I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Was your dealer able to take care of it?

Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old September 16th, 2012, 5:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Leaks are not normal, not part of life, they are a direct result of a shoddy program

Wade, I read all your quotes and the answers to your predicament on this and another website and was quite amused by all the "motherly" advice you got by someone telling you to calm down and leaks are a normal part of life in a new truck. Fudge them! This forum is just that, a forum and you can write whatever you want and if it's a problem in every stinking new Chevrolet Silverado (mine too, 2012, 17000 miles) then the f'in people at GM need to take some of our billions of bailout money and train their line assemblers to do it right, right out of the factory, NOT kick it out of Detroit, hope the buyer doesn't see it when buying and if so, repair it at the dealer at the buyer's inconvenience..that's 1970's thinking that got our US *** kicked by Honda and Toyota and they still dominate today BECAUSE GM JUST DOES NOT GET IT and a new Tundra or Pilot does NOT leak at all, it's not life...it's called doing it right the first time and GM still hasn't got it right, they deserved to fail and NOT be bailed out for ignoring this one fact for decades! I will **** and moan on this and other sites and tell that "motherly" fudger to mind his old a-- business and if he can't help, then shut the fudge up!
Old September 17th, 2012, 12:25 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by kswat4
Wade, I read all your quotes and the answers to your predicament on this and another website and was quite amused by all the "motherly" advice you got by someone telling you to calm down and leaks are a normal part of life in a new truck. Fudge them! This forum is just that, a forum and you can write whatever you want and if it's a problem in every stinking new Chevrolet Silverado (mine too, 2012, 17000 miles) then the f'in people at GM need to take some of our billions of bailout money and train their line assemblers to do it right, right out of the factory, NOT kick it out of Detroit, hope the buyer doesn't see it when buying and if so, repair it at the dealer at the buyer's inconvenience..that's 1970's thinking that got our US *** kicked by Honda and Toyota and they still dominate today BECAUSE GM JUST DOES NOT GET IT and a new Tundra or Pilot does NOT leak at all, it's not life...it's called doing it right the first time and GM still hasn't got it right, they deserved to fail and NOT be bailed out for ignoring this one fact for decades! I will **** and moan on this and other sites and tell that "motherly" fudger to mind his old a-- business and if he can't help, then shut the fudge up!
tundras dont leak? please. dont be an idiot. toyotas arent running correctly if they arent leaking. and it is not a problem on EVERY truck. the ones that leak, at low mileage are few and far between. and they are normally caused by poor maintenance. stop being stupid. and stop blaming GM for a problem caused by your lack of care for their product
Old September 17th, 2012, 1:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oil leak 2012 kswat4

Man, I know how frustrated you are with the oil leak with the new Silverado, especially if you have to use it for work. It is too bad that GM cannot get it right the first time. And I agree with you about Toyotas… all I can say is that I got 0% on the loan for the Chevy Silverado.

Check your faux hubcap nuts and covers regularly. The nuts come loose and you can toss the cover. Check my blog silveradov6.blogspot.com/
Old September 17th, 2012, 8:30 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by kswat4
vent all you want its your right but don't throw the idea around that any brand is superior to any other, cars break things wear out. Do you have the same rant when your knee hurts but your brothers doesn't? Who didn't make your knee right the first time?

if toyota is so amazing and does it right the first time why did people die from a massive recall on sticking accelerators?
Old September 18th, 2012, 1:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
vent all you want its your right but don't throw the idea around that any brand is superior to any other, cars break things wear out. Do you have the same rant when your knee hurts but your brothers doesn't? Who didn't make your knee right the first time?

if toyota is so amazing and does it right the first time why did people die from a massive recall on sticking accelerators?
agreed. my problem is as a technitian at a dealership i hear alot of these complaints but only from the people who dont perform scheduled maintenance.. and so like i said, im tired of people blaming the company that made the vehicle, instead of the fact they arent taking care of the truck/car porperly. no company is perfect, they all have their flaws, and none of them ever "[do] it right" the first time. and saying that toyota did, is ignorant. toyota falls under the same maintenace problems as any other vehicle. and rear main seal leaks in the tundras are incredibly common, as with most trucks...
Old September 18th, 2012, 4:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Brand New Silverado vehicle oil leak not lack of maintenance issue

If you make a living repairing Chevy trucks you should be happy. But this issue has not been about lack of owner maintenance. Of the three owners noted in this post with the leak problem, (me being the original post) all have 2011-2012 vehicles, under warranty. The leaks were detected at 2222 miles, 4600 miles and 17000 miles and may have been occurring since mile one. It is a factory flaw not owner maintenance. This fact is supported by the efforts of GM Customer Support and each individual dealership.

The person who posted about the Toyota accelerator deaths and recalls needs to research his facts a little better. The data shows at least two accounts of fraud and several cases where owners placed the mat over the accelerator pedal after cleaning the mat. Placing the mat on top of the pedal will make a Chevy rev high as well.

And remember the fire hazard of the exposed fuel tanks on the 1976-1984 Chevy pick ups… that turned out to be rare but made into a frenzy by the media and outright fraud.

This Chevy Silverado oil leak issue with at least the V6 WT models is real and needs to be dealt with by GM Customer Service and engineers.

Quick Reply: 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Oil Leak