Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

2011 Silverado Oil Leak Common and estimated costs to get repaired?

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2015, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Silverado Oil Leak Common and estimated costs to get repaired?

Well this my second Silverado and it only has 45,000 miles and just got an Oil Change and they advised I have an oil leak, check my driveway where I park the truck and there is oil there. Is this common never had any issues with my 2005 Silverado and I do the Oil Change pre Oil Life Requirements. Both trucks bought brand new. Wondering what it will cost to have this repaired at a Dealer, could be the pan gasket or maybe the front or rear seal. Just trying to get an idea since have not had much work done in many years and doubt it is covered by the 100K Warranty.

Anyone that provide if this is a common repair with the newer Silverado's and a ball park estimated cost to get this repaired? So I can save for it.

Thanks,
Oneida101
Old March 15th, 2015, 1:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Would think the dealer could have given you a clearer answer as to what/where the leak is. Should be pretty easy for them to tell a front vs a rear seal (IMO)
Old March 15th, 2015, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

No Oil Changed at Dealer but an Instant Oil Change Place that advised this, Dealers cost way too much and then it is not "instant" like the small Instant Oil Change Places are. As for I am asking for if this is common seems there have been many asking and getting if this is Common issue on Newer Silverado's and Just trying to get some idea what the Current Repair costs might be at a dealer before and go there and not have the $ to afford this repair being having to get the pan off removed the existing gasket and seals and then replacing same which means sometimes jacking up the engine to get the clearance to get the pan off to prep it and get the seals out. Guess I will have to inquire with the Sale's Person that sold me my last 2 Chevy Trucks. No one here is responding to if this is "COMMON" Issue with the later Silverado's and what the costs might be not going to hold anyone to a exact cost just trying to get some idea...

Looks like I will find this from the Dealer I got the Truck From though they are an hour away...

Oneida101
Old March 15th, 2015, 2:05 PM
CF Veteran

Patience my friend, your post is only a few hrs old!! Any warranty left on your ride? Maybe see a non dealer reputable mechanic for a more accurate diagnosis. You will get more answers here on repair costs if folks better know the origin of the leak.
Old March 15th, 2015, 4:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

how can anyone provide an estimate cost of repair when you have no idea what is leaking....oil pan, front cover, rear main, oil cooler, axle seal, pinion seal?
what engine, 4wd/2wd as this greatly effects labour times.

What does it matter how common it is?

Here's a guess for you...oil pan gasket on a 4wd is approx. 4hrs labour and parts are maybe $100.
Old March 15th, 2015, 7:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Equipment back when I worked on Cars for a while there was no

Common means DOES IT HAPPEN Often from what I found it is Commo0n on Silverado but I guess no one here gets that SO I will spell it out is it Common for the Oil Pan to LEAK??? YES OR NO???

Again I guess my time as some that worked on Cars Including old Vintage Corvettes I guess is not enough for the Common People here. I no longer work on Newer Vehicles because they are made to work on with all the extra emissions and such required today and Yes I still own a Corvette and work on it but again this is my last posting here If You do not know what Common is then don't POST it is a Simple question like Brakes when they have issue is it common to have to replace the Rotors again Common Guess today with all the test equipment and not actually have none of those I guess you would never be able to repair a old car much less a New One unless you had these Test you have a little knowledge like replacing the Points or Distributor cap or the Coil but I guess most here never have dealt with any cars with those parts!

I will be moving on Common is something that happens or occurs poften to something/ Sorry I joined or asked a simple Questions seems yto be over some members heads here.

They can remove my membership I am done with folks that don't know what Common is I Talked to a friend that knows someone that works at GM and he going to see what they know since no one here knows what Common means then I will just talk to the sales person where I got the Truck from. because there is little help or knowledge here. Guess some here rely on Test Tools and not knowledge when they read a question!

All Done with this Forum.

Oneida101
Old March 15th, 2015, 8:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts
Default leaking alright

...the leak, from somewhere on something... is common. Knowing that must change everything.

I left out one thing from your quote that i'm sure you will be charged....the a$$hole tax.

Last edited by tech2; March 15th, 2015 at 8:57 PM.
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Guess sometimes you can't please some folks no matter how hard you try - think I would double the above tax and add an additional $!00 dumbA$$ fee - but that's just me continuing to be as nice as I can be lol.
Old March 16th, 2015, 6:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneida101
Well this my second Silverado and it only has 45,000 miles and just got an Oil Change and they advised I have an oil leak, check my driveway where I park the truck and there is oil there. Is this common never had any issues with my 2005 Silverado and I do the Oil Change pre Oil Life Requirements. Both trucks bought brand new. Wondering what it will cost to have this repaired at a Dealer, could be the pan gasket or maybe the front or rear seal. Just trying to get an idea since have not had much work done in many years and doubt it is covered by the 100K Warranty.

Anyone that provide if this is a common repair with the newer Silverado's and a ball park estimated cost to get this repaired? So I can save for it.

Thanks,
Oneida101
Oneida101,

I'm sorry to hear about your oil leak concerns, and understand how displeasing this would be. If you'd like to consider getting an official GM diagnosis, please message me privately as I can reach out to the dealer's Customer Experience Managers (CEM) for additional assistance. If you'd like to contact us privately, we'd be happy to discuss this with you further.

Kind regards,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care