Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2012 Duramax - Cold Weather Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old February 3rd, 2014, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Duramax - Cold Weather Check Engine Light

They should issue code readers with these DEF trucks to clear the check engine light every time it falls below zero. It's -3 this morning and I will be making yet another trip by the dealer after work to get them to clear the code. This is 2 winters now with this BS and GM needs to pull their head out of their butts and fix their programming. It's pretty simple, when my garage temp is above freezing, and the outside temp is below zero, I get a check engine light about 10 to 15 minutes from the house. The dealer replaced the system last winter because they admittedly had no clue what was really wrong, and it clearly did not resolve my problem. I'm no rocket scientist but I would say the DEF is freezing and the computer isn't calculating the outside temp fast enough and is expecting it to be working, when it's not (because it's frozen), so it throws the error code. What makes it worse is that I can't remote start when it throw the check engine code and that pisses me off even more as I have to go start it in the cold knowing there is NOTHING wrong but the programming!!!

Added: Well I went ahead and submitted my complaint to Chevrolet today. We'll see what they have to say about it...

Last edited by airforceret; February 3rd, 2014 at 2:46 PM. Reason: Additional Info
Old February 11th, 2014, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Well I did receive my acknowledgement from Chevrolet about my inquiry, said it was being forwarded to the appropriate group for further review or something, but a week later and no more emails, no phone calls about it, nothing!

All the ford and dodge diesels are getting by just fine, but I'm driving my jeep and leaving the truck in the garage now because i'm tired of running to the dealer every time it's cold outside to get the check engine light cleared.

Think it's time to consider a trade as there is no way I'm driving this thing around the country while retired the next 15 years with a BS problem like this. Hello Chevrolet... give me a call!!! Let's get this thing fixed...
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

Well look at the date and the temps and it's no surprise that it's once again time to visit the Chevy dealer to have the check engine light reset. Wasn't able to drive the jeep today and had to drive my truck and just like clockwork.... warm garage... cold temps outside... and yes once again I've got a brain dead computer throwing a faulty check engine error that requires resetting by the dealer.

And NO RESPONSE FROM CHEVROLET in regards to ANY OF MY POLITE requests for help on this one! It's not rocket science... just a computer programming flaw! This is 3 YEARS now and it's just like clockwork when it fails!!! I guess the solution is to park it in the cold if I need to drive it in the winter...
Old February 3rd, 2015, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

Oh yeah... I'm the last remaining Silverado in the parking lot at work because my three fellow diesel owners all bought a new Ford Diesel as they are concerned about my problem... so it's not just affecting me.
Old February 5th, 2015, 6:52 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure, but I think that the new Dodge Ram with 6.7L Cummins turbodiesel does not require the use of DEF.

You may want to look into getting one of those.