Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old August 11th, 2015, 1:32 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

2012 Silverado 1500 LTZ- Backup Cam stopped working-

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2012, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Silverado 1500 LTZ- Backup Cam stopped working-

So I picked up my truck yesterday! Its just as beautiful as it was in vegas

I've sadly noticed that my backup cam has stopped working! When in reverse, i get a black screen with the beep notifications and the moving backup estimate lines, just no picture. Now I did have the bed line X'd in vegas, and im pretty sure they had to remove the tailgate trim piece to spray. I'm also almost positive that my backup cam was still working after i picked it up from the line x shop. I read a couple threads about similar issues with 2003-2007 models...i'm not sure if I should even try to follow those suggestions on my 2012. Any tips on where I should start looking to get the cam working again? There is no visible damage anwhere on the truck, only 189 miles.
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if '12s are the same, but on a '09 there is a connector behind the license plate that must be disconnected to remove tailgate. Once license plate is removed, it's right there.

Think I'd check there first if tailgate was removed for the line-x!

Good Luck!
Old January 20th, 2012, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Fredrich, I will take a look there once I am off work today.
Old January 20th, 2012, 6:59 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> alaskan84,

fredrich03 offers a great suggestion. It's possible they didn't reconnect it completely after they did the bed work.

If that doesn't solve the problem, you may want to consider taking the vehicle in for an inspection.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 21st, 2012, 1:32 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Fredrich03 & Louis....i checked under the license plate and sure enough there was a connection that just wasnt hooked up at all! I plugged it in, and unfortunatly saw no change in the backup cam video status. Is there an additional plug that may have been removed during the line x process, or where should i look next? Unfortunatly there is not a Chevrolet dealership here on Kodiak Island, so i would be at the mercy of the local repair shops. I do not believe any of them have real audio/video skills so the troubleshooting is pretty much up to me. Thanks for any more suggestions
Old January 21st, 2012, 3:23 PM
CF Junior Member

The only other thing I can think of...

Any masking tape or line-x spray on the camera lens??

Sorry, that's all I can come up with!

Last edited by fredrich03; January 22nd, 2012 at 9:37 AM.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 9:36 AM
CF Junior Member

P.S. You might check the wires @ the cam. They may have gotten pulled off before the connector was found, and that was the reason for not re-connecting.

One of the 3 bolts inside the tailgate holding the latch assy also holds the bezel on. I believe it is the top bolt.

Good Luck Again!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 10:50 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the suggestions, its been a couple days since i could get on and reply....but i went back and checked the plugs under the license plate again and i was an idiot when i first hooked it back up. There was another end of the plug that was tucked under the spare tire, so there are 4 plugs total, instead of the two I saw originally. Once the cam wires were properly hooked up eveything works nicely Thanks for the help!
Old January 23rd, 2012, 9:20 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would give the Line x place a hard time even if they do not do anything for you at least they will not make the mistake again.
Old January 24th, 2012, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

I did give them a call, but didnt really hassel them over it. Major thing is they wont forget that on another new chevy truck. We kinda rushed them, close at 5 and they stayed till 7 to finish her. Plus they were all oogling and taking pictures as i arrived to pick it up. Not every day they get to color match a new 2012 silverado so it was a nice photo shoot for them

Quick Reply: 2012 Silverado 1500 LTZ- Backup Cam stopped working-