Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2013 Dually burn marks on rear hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2013, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2013 Dually burn marks on rear hubcaps

I have a 3500hd dually LTZ. The truck has had 2 sets of rear hubcaps replaced in the first 1700 miles. The first 1 was replaced before I took ownership of the truck, it was a dealer trade and had 110 miles on it. The left hubcap had a bad burn mark on it. The dealer replaced it and said it probably damaged in transport. Soon after I got it I noticed that the right hubcap also had similar burn marks. It was replaced and the wheel bearings, seals, and grease were replaced. By about 1700 miles both had burn marks again. This time they replaced the brake pads and the hubcaps. I left for a long trip and about 3700 miles they had burn marks again. The service manager is at a loss at this point to find out what the problem is. It will be going back in soon for the 3rd set and I was wondering if anyone else has had or seen this problem. The burn marks are on the outside in the plastic chrome and look like hot embers are somehow landing on the surface long enough to burn into the plastic. These marks are all the way around both hubcaps. I have also talked to GM customer service and all that they can tell me is to take it back to the dealer.
I find it hard to believe that I am the only one with this problem.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:07 PM
CF Active Member

Welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear about your problems with your new truck. It sounds very frustrating. Would you be able to post any pictures of the problem? It would be nice to see what damage is being caused.

Unfortunately, if there is that much heat being created, the brakes must be dragging. I assume that the dealer has checked and adjusted the emergency brake shoes within the brake hub. It seems very strange to see this problem. It would be unusual for a new brake caliper to seize.

Good luck with the repair. If the dealer where you purchased the truck is unable to repair the problem, you may want to speak with GM Customer Service about another dealer to work with.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I too would like to see a picture of the burn marks...
Old April 7th, 2013, 9:08 PM
CF Beginner

Hopefully I have figured out how to attach some pictures. These are a few examples of the current hubcaps. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the first one which was the worst. Thanks for the replies. I hope I can come up with a solution.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Dually burn marks on rear hubcaps-hubcap.jpg   2013 Dually burn marks on rear hubcaps-hubcap1.jpg   2013 Dually burn marks on rear hubcaps-hubcap2.jpg   2013 Dually burn marks on rear hubcaps-hubcap3.jpg   2013 Dually burn marks on rear hubcaps-hubcap4.jpg  

Old April 8th, 2013, 10:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and the hub looks ok???

any fluid loss?

I'd say run it awhile and pull the wheels and see whats hot...

does appear something hot is getting slung around the inside of the cap there...
Old April 8th, 2013, 5:50 PM
CF Beginner

Nothing appears to be running hot. I took off the hubcaps and then towed a 30' 5th wheel trailer for a 1000 mile trip. I checked the hubs at every 1.5 - 2 hour stop, They were never even warm. I don't think it has anything to do with the hubs or bearings after that test. Maybe anti-lock brakes hanging up occasionally? It will be going back to the dealer soon to see if they have any other ideas. I would be surprised if I am the only one with this problem. The inside of the caps only barely show any distortion on the worst of the burn marks. I think they originate on the outside of the caps.

Last edited by tkgmfan; April 8th, 2013 at 5:54 PM.
Old April 8th, 2013, 9:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tkgmfan
Nothing appears to be running hot. I took off the hubcaps and then towed a 30' 5th wheel trailer for a 1000 mile trip. I checked the hubs at every 1.5 - 2 hour stop, They were never even warm. I don't think it has anything to do with the hubs or bearings after that test. Maybe anti-lock brakes hanging up occasionally? It will be going back to the dealer soon to see if they have any other ideas. I would be surprised if I am the only one with this problem. The inside of the caps only barely show any distortion on the worst of the burn marks. I think they originate on the outside of the caps.

I would think you would feel the drag from the brakes if it were something along those lines, especially if it's getting hot enough to melt plastic like that. Plus it would have to throw some heat too...

I dunno, truly is weird.
Old December 16th, 2013, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

Well I still don't have an answer to my burnt hubcaps. They were replaced again last May. At that time the dealer tried to put brake dust shields on the truck but they were for a single wheel 1 ton not a dually, so they rotated the outer wheel one bolt hole to reduce exposure to brake dust and installed another set of rear hubcaps. Everything was great through the summer. The truck was parked in my garage all of Sept and part of Oct. In Nov I noticed that both hubcaps are showing burn marks again. The dealer is at a loss as am I. Am I the only one out there having this problem? It is almost time to ask for a new truck if they can't fix it soon.
Old December 17th, 2013, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

I think you have a corrosion problem and not a heat issue. I've see chemical corrosion burn from the inside out behind paint before on my Palomino Camper. It would bubble, fester, and eventually corrode through in a matter of days to only a couple weeks. Good Luck...
Old December 17th, 2013, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply. I have suggested the same thing, but GM says they don't have a problem. I have talked to other service managers in other areas and they have not seen this before. The dealer just called to tell me that they will be replacing the brake proportioning valve and the control module. We will see if that fixes it. The dealers service manager has been really great about working with me on this.