Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Silverado 1500 Ignition Key Sticking

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2014, 4:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Silverado 1500 Ignition Key Sticking

Hello:
Periodically, my 2014 Silverado (see Signature) Ignition Key will not turn in Steering wheel housing. Around ten times since December 2013 time frame.

Sometimes it will work after jingling the key in housing for less than a minute, sometimes it takes minutes. I have to sit there, stop for minute, start again with twisting and jingling key in this plastic housing till "so far" I'm able to start engine. I've been sitting for up to five minutes, banging on steering column, re-inserting key, over and over.

Help....
Anyone else have this problem????
A squirt of oil may help, I don't know. But I'm headed for the service department as soon as I get it scheduled.
Old May 4th, 2014, 6:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

does it do it with the 2nd key? If not get the key replaced under warranty? Its a laser cut key so it will have to be cut and sent to the dealer. Most dealers do not have the expensive equipment needed to cut these keys.
Old May 5th, 2014, 5:44 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for reply Tech2....
I will call the dealer and start the process today!
I will follow up with results.
Old May 12th, 2014, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

No key issues with second key..... the first one has been put away to get history on keys and problems.....
It's been a week with no issues, let us hope problem is a simple as geting NEW key.
Old May 12th, 2014, 4:24 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Mr. Bojangles,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern. Please be sure to keep me posted once you hear from your Chevrolet dealership. If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to me via private message. Be sure to include your name, VIN, phone number, and dealership name.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old May 12th, 2014, 5:51 PM
CF Junior Member

My 2500hd does that occasionally and will prevent me from turning it even one click. So i sat and played with it one day and i think i have figured it out. There was a problem or something when they were cutting the design in and you have to do a certain motion. Mine you have to push the key in ignition just were it stops no further, turn back towards me the tiny bit it will, push in harder, and then turn forward. I think its just something you have to sit there when you get a few free minutes and figure out the "motion" your key was cut for.. hope this helps, I appologize if it doesnt, but it seemed to help me
Old May 13th, 2014, 3:54 AM
CF Beginner

Okay Chevy-guy 3,

Yes, I suspect the Key cutting is the problem.

Once I get more time on this SECOND key with no incidences of "Key not turning", Then I will ask for new key, after turning in DEFECTIVE key on my Warranty.
For one thing, I'm not talented enough to remember motions necessary to get this DEFECTIVE key to work. It is Chevrolet's responsibility to get CONSISTENT keys to costumers, at least that is what I think.
They must figure out what part of manufacturing process is causing INCONSISTENCIES in keys.
Do you agree??
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Sounds good! i had a hard time remembering at first! but after a week or so it just becomes second nature, but occasionally if im in a real hurry i forget and have to take another try. But i would definatly bring it to the dealership! Feel free to tell them that it aint just you either!
Old December 18th, 2014, 6:42 PM
CF Beginner

Angry

I have 2014 Silverado the key wont work in the ignition I sat for 45 minutes in the cold . This is a bunch of B/S !!! It wont turn . It seems to lock everything up . This is not the first time it has happened . I think a total of three times now . And I've only had the truck 3 months .
Old December 18th, 2014, 8:18 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by layspipe
I have 2014 Silverado the key wont work in the ignition I sat for 45 minutes in the cold . This is a bunch of B/S !!! It wont turn . It seems to lock everything up . This is not the first time it has happened . I think a total of three times now . And I've only had the truck 3 months .
Hey Layspipe,

Very sorry for this! If you need any assistance with this, we are more than happy to reach out to the dealership on your behalf. Please feel free to send a private message to us along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. We look forward to your response.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado 1500 Ignition Key Sticking