Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2014 silverado with a bad vibration

Search this Thread

Old February 6th, 2015, 4:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I've kept a low profile as I did not want to disturb the negotiations
between Myself and General Motors.

We finally came to an agreement and although I was not happy it was my
decision to cut the BS and run especially since I gave General Motors
more then six weeks to find a truck like mine that did not vibrate, I also
gave them the opportunity for a second choice and that they could not even
produce ! It still took the almighty GM an additional five weeks to come up
with a buy back price. I had added a few items that would only fit on a K-1500
short bed and they seemed to have a problem realizing that if they could not
find one the items were useless to me.

Some thoughts I'd like to share,

ANYONE who visits forums claiming to be Customer Service from GM
are nothing but a waste of your time as are the Customer Service people
from GM's own web site. They tried to get me to commit as long as my
case was active with the BBB. Once GM declared my truck unrepairable
they contacted the BBB and the case was closed and this is where they really
started to insult my intelligence, avoid phone calls and E-mails. I was asked to
send a copy of my DL and both sides of my LIEN FREE Title. They had acknowledged
that they had received it and after the FIVE business day's that was listed I'd
still not heard a peep out of the almighty. After two plus hours of rude people
even though they had my case number they purposely neglected to inform me
that my case worked was no longer employed by GM. I would have given them a pass
however they made a decision to basically blow me off and then sent me a proposal
for some guy in Florida on buying back a Cadillac !

So since October 18, 2014 there has been only two positive things that have become
of this, (1) The Service Director at the selling dealership who in my opinion went further
then anyone would even consider. (2) Because of GM's attitude toward it's customers
it allowed my to look at other trucks. I found a NEW Ram 1500 with more equipment for less
then I had paid for the Silverado and it does not vibrate ! The Transmission does not delay
on the up shifts ! and the injectors are quiet !

I'll do my best to help anyone out who is going through what I did, All I ask is that
you PM me for specific concerns and or questions to keep the forums clutter free.

I'd like to extend my sincere gratitude to the forum for making space available
to call out GM who since 2013 has been aware of this issue and for some reason
they get a pass on it.
Old February 7th, 2015, 8:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

my shop has seen 2 more of these cases. The fix for theses two trucks turned out to be faults with the tire.

road force variation allowable spec for lt tires was 35lbs. the limit has been dropped to 10lbs. Following the old spec caused dealerships to incorrectly rule out tires as the fault.
Old February 8th, 2015, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Desert SS
Well I've kept a low profile as I did not want to disturb the negotiations
between Myself and General Motors.

We finally came to an agreement and although I was not happy it was my
decision to cut the BS and run especially since I gave General Motors
more then six weeks to find a truck like mine that did not vibrate, I also
gave them the opportunity for a second choice and that they could not even
produce ! It still took the almighty GM an additional five weeks to come up
with a buy back price. I had added a few items that would only fit on a K-1500
short bed and they seemed to have a problem realizing that if they could not
find one the items were useless to me.

Some thoughts I'd like to share,

ANYONE who visits forums claiming to be Customer Service from GM
are nothing but a waste of your time as are the Customer Service people
from GM's own web site. They tried to get me to commit as long as my
case was active with the BBB. Once GM declared my truck unrepairable
they contacted the BBB and the case was closed and this is where they really
started to insult my intelligence, avoid phone calls and E-mails. I was asked to
send a copy of my DL and both sides of my LIEN FREE Title. They had acknowledged
that they had received it and after the FIVE business day's that was listed I'd
still not heard a peep out of the almighty. After two plus hours of rude people
even though they had my case number they purposely neglected to inform me
that my case worked was no longer employed by GM. I would have given them a pass
however they made a decision to basically blow me off and then sent me a proposal
for some guy in Florida on buying back a Cadillac !

So since October 18, 2014 there has been only two positive things that have become
of this, (1) The Service Director at the selling dealership who in my opinion went further
then anyone would even consider. (2) Because of GM's attitude toward it's customers
it allowed my to look at other trucks. I found a NEW Ram 1500 with more equipment for less
then I had paid for the Silverado and it does not vibrate ! The Transmission does not delay
on the up shifts ! and the injectors are quiet !

I'll do my best to help anyone out who is going through what I did, All I ask is that
you PM me for specific concerns and or questions to keep the forums clutter free.

I'd like to extend my sincere gratitude to the forum for making space available
to call out GM who since 2013 has been aware of this issue and for some reason
they get a pass on it.
My new RAM 1500 doesn't vibrate either (I traded mine, instead of the BBB process), and yes, the GM Customer Service is a complete waste of time. They are simply $8/hr workers trained for a day on how to respond to cranky customers. They know absolutely nothing about GM products.

Glad you are out of it, even though it took way too much of your own personal time and money to get it done. That's the sad part in all this, that GM is just trying to quietly sweep it all under the rug and the consumer has to fight hard or take a loss to make it right.

GM gets a pass from me now too, meaning I'll pass up any GM dealerships when I'm out looking for new vehicles in the future.
Old February 12th, 2015, 7:00 AM
CF Beginner

Default is GM going to address this issue?

I have the 2014 silverado extra cab that has the vibration as well. I went ahead and changed wheels and tires as well as a bell tech lowering kit and it still vibrates at highway speed. I am ready to put it back to stock now and trade it in. You spend that kind of money on a vehicle you would think we would get some kind of help.
Old February 13th, 2015, 8:24 PM
Super Moderator

Default why 2014's

manufacturers are going to more rigid frames. Its a selling point. You can boast about how strong and light your frame is. the doors shut with a nice solid feel when the cab is mounted on a rigid frame. customers like this.

the problem is the more rigid the frame, the more it transmits vibration into the cab. Combine this with some bad tires, rear axle manufacturing qc issues and here we are.
Old February 14th, 2015, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Vibration

Tech2,
I recently bought a 2014 Silverado CC, 16 miles on it.
Goodyear Wranglers 18"....So if I am understanding this right, with this new" rigid frame" all the highway bumps and vibrations will transfer into the cab and the drive will feel it all, a lousy rough ride....Should I replace these existing tires with another brand? Since you are a GM tech and probably see this issue everyday what's your thoughs on this?

I had an 08 Silverado CC and it rode like it was floating, but had several issues with it and GM finally agreed to "try" to make things right and gave me some good discounts towards this new truck, but as P.T. Barnum always said theres a sucker born every minute, I guess I was the one for that minute.

Chevytruck55
Old February 15th, 2015, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

ChevTruck 55. Not all Chev trucks are equal as far as ride. I have had some good and some that have cost me a fortune in money and time, trying to get them to ride smooth,
but to no avail. I currently have a 2014 with 18" Michelins thats pretty smooth. Its time for a rotation, and I hate to have it done, because sometime I have lost that good ride, because of a rebalance and rotation.
If your truck is rolling smooth w/the issued tires/wheels, dont fix something thats not broken. Larry
Old February 15th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ChevyTruck55
Tech2,
I recently bought a 2014 Silverado CC, 16 miles on it.
Goodyear Wranglers 18"....So if I am understanding this right, with this new" rigid frame" all the highway bumps and vibrations will transfer into the cab and the drive will feel it all, a lousy rough ride....Should I replace these existing tires with another brand? Since you are a GM tech and probably see this issue everyday what's your thoughs on this?

Chevytruck55
Some oem 18" tires have been an issue. It is not a balance problem. they will balance perfect. Its a sidewall stiffness variation. If you can find a loaner set, swap all four for diagnostic purposes. It would suck if you bought a set only to find out the problem was elsewhere.

The frame is amplifying the problem. Eliminating the source vibration is the fix.

Last edited by tech2; February 15th, 2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old March 19th, 2015, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

It's so sad to see more and more trucks being added to the list

Just think of the people who have not taken the time to search this issue
out, like I did until the service manager stated " Don't believe everything you read
on the internet " I was a member here long before this issue came up on the '14
Silverado. and the best information I received was from this very site !

I strongly can not stress how very important it is to have a semi calm attitude with
your dealer, it was his persistence with GM that kept my name on the top of GM's
list and my nice but constant calling GM customer service to make them aware I was
in no way accept anything less then what was fair, my case took a bit longer because
of the items I added, and I gave GM six weeks to produce a truck that did not vibrate
or delay on the up shifts or have excessive injector noise.

It was a sad day for me when I finally realized that GM had no interest in keeping
me a GM customer. and I've moved on and I'm glad that I've been able to help
quite a few people with this issue.

This vibration issue is snow balling at a very extreme rate, and I see nothing good
coming from it until GM acknowledges their engineering mistake and takes care of
it's customers in the same good faith that people purchased the trucks to begin with.

All in all, ' What goes around will come around ' it's just a matter of time !
Old March 24th, 2015, 3:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default I've Had It!

Went and drove some 2015s. Same issues. Unbelievable that Chevy hasn't put forth the time or effort to fix it. Trading in my 2014 for a 2015 Ford. Take care everyone. ..

Quick Reply: 2014 silverado with a bad vibration