Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

2014 silverado with a bad vibration

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2015, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings all, I just bought a 2014 Z71 4X4. This is one of the smoothest trucks I've driven, but then, it only has 300 miles on it. I hope I don't have any of these issues! I haven't read all posts on this subject, But I'm wondering if there are any issues with drive shafts and balancing?
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 silverado shake

I also have a 2014 silverado 4x4 with 7100 miles, I changed the rims and tires and noticed a really bad shake at 65 mph on up gets worse towards 70 mph I took it to the dealer, service writer and mechanic both drove truck and both agreed their was a problem. Their answer to the problem was aftermarket wheels and tires, so I put the truck back to stock took truck back in to the dealer and what do you know same issue. Still no fix this is my 5th brand new silverado and this is the first one im not happy with. I really hope GM steps up to correct this issue AND STOPS BLAMING AFTERMARKET PARTS.
Old May 13th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

They would have to rule out factory rims and tire just the same as aftermarket. The problem is that gm will not pay for warranty testing of YOUR aftermarket parts. Why should the dealer work for free to test your parts. The annoyance you feel at the dealer for the tire related portion of this is your own fault.

the proper sequence to rule out vibrations....tires/rims, driveshaft, axle then differential.
Do you think you know a better way?

they are giving you good service but you don't know enough about it to realize.

Last edited by tech2; May 13th, 2015 at 11:18 PM.
Old May 26th, 2015, 5:12 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
They would have to rule out factory rims and tire just the same as aftermarket. The problem is that gm will not pay for warranty testing of YOUR aftermarket parts. Why should the dealer work for free to test your parts. The annoyance you feel at the dealer for the tire related portion of this is your own fault.

the proper sequence to rule out vibrations....tires/rims, driveshaft, axle then differential.
Do you think you know a better way?

they are giving you good service but you don't know enough about it to realize.
yes the dealer went above and beyond to correct the issue it did end up being a wheel that was out of ballance all is good
Old June 16th, 2015, 9:25 PM
CF Beginner

Hi everyone
I purchased a new 2014 Silverado crew-cab this past January with 16 miles on it.
drove truck to Birmingham (80miles) a couple of days later, truck shook like all get out.
took truck back to dealership the next day, they rotated tires and balanced them, still have the shaking. To make this short, drove truck for 3 months got oil changed tires rotated and balanced, truck seemed to not vibrate as much, a little over 2 1/2 months went in for service oil change and tire rotation and balance, truck now rides as smooth as the 08 I had. It runs up to 80 mph like floating on a cloud and no vibrating. I have the Goodyear 18 inch tires. Maybe the tires needed to wear in a little to get the smooth ride.
Old August 1st, 2015, 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

Could it be the electric assist steering mechanism ?
Old August 2nd, 2015, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

gotohatteras In my situation with the vibration, I believe it was as Tech2 had said a couple of months ago, tire stiffness. I had my tires rotated and balanced three times and the vibration lessen each time. Now I have a pretty smooth ride.
It is close to my next oil change and tire rotation and I wonder if the rotation will affect the ride or maybe improve a little bit more. I do believe that the tires breaking in makes some difference in the ride.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 12:30 PM
CF Active Member

What was this all about? :/
Old August 2nd, 2015, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

What is tire break in ??? They
either roll smooth or not, from the
first revolution. Its possible to get
tires balanced on an uncalibrated machine,
and the next time on a calibrated or
different machine, and the ride improves.
A tire thats out of round or that has a belt
problem, does not cure itself. Larry

Last edited by Great Scott; August 3rd, 2015 at 5:33 AM.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 1:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by Great Scott
What is tire break in ??? They
either roll smooth or not, from the
first revolution. Its possible to get
tires balanced on an uncalibrated machine,
and the next time on a calibrated or
different machine, and the ride improves.
A tire thats out of round or that has a belt
problem, does not cure itself. Larry
technically, when it comes to road force balancing; the tires must be driven on for approx. 500kilometers. this allows the plies to relax. it is possible that a known good tire will fail (and test higher) rfb if tested when new.

that is what I have read in technical documents. In some respect I want my new tires to pass rfb new or old.

Quick Reply: 2014 silverado with a bad vibration