Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Silverado - Low Battery Voltage?

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2013, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Silverado - Low Battery Voltage?

Hey everyone, this is my first post here!

I got a 2014 1LT silverado crew cab 4x4 5.3L with PDU package just over 1 week ago and already I am running in to problems with it randomly not starting.

In fact the day after we bought it, on 3 occasions it would not start for my wife.

Since then it has happened roughly 2 days.

When we turn the key (or try remote start), it simply does not turn over. There is sufficient battery power to make all the lighting, and 8" screen work fine.
-I tried taking it out of park, and putting it back in thinking maybe it was not fully in park, but that didn't help. Then suddenly after you try several times it starts right up. Next time I shut off the truck, it usually is good, but there has been times when I will drive 20 miles or so, shut off the truck and it does the same crap and won't turn over?
-No check engine lights or anything....

Anyone else having these issues!??

I can't get it into the dealer until friday.

Last edited by willis_927; December 21st, 2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2013, 8:20 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by willis_927

I got a 2014 1LT silverado crew cab 4x4 5.3L with PDU package just over 1 week ago and already I am running in to problems with it randomly not starting.

In fact the day after we bought it, on 3 occasions it would not start for my wife.

When we turn the key (or try remote start), it simply does not turn over. There is sufficient battery power to make all the lighting, and 8" screen work fine.
-I tried taking it out of park, and putting it back in thinking maybe it was not fully in park, but that didn't help. Then suddenly after you try several times it starts right up. Next time I shut off the truck, it usually is good, but there has been times when I will drive 20 miles or so, shut off the truck and it does the same crap and won't turn over?

Hi willis_927,

Congratulations on your recent truck purchase! We're sorry to hear that you've been experiencing start issues so soon after purchase. We'd be happy to do some additional research on this for you before your service visit. In order to do so, can you please message us your VIN? Thanks, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 29th, 2014, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Default My 2014 chevy silverado will not start when it is cold outside.

I also have the same truck with the exact same problem. It will not crank over when it is below 0 degrees outside.
If try to start it, it does nothing. Try it again and again and nothing. Then 5 munutes later it starts right up. I have only had the truck for a week and it has happend 4 or 5 times so far. It is currently in the shop and they have no idea what to fix because they cannot duplicate the problem.
Did you get yours fixed? If you did what was the fix? I am guessing a new battery is in order.

Originally Posted by willis_927

Old January 29th, 2014, 8:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

could be a bad battery. Battery "Lot rot" develops on new vehicles that sit for long periods of inactivity before sale. Have the battery checked out first before attempting any diagnosis.
Old January 30th, 2014, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

No it was not a battery issue. The battery and electrical system were fine.

The dealer said the issue was that some of the starters have had moisture in them. There fix was to crank it over time and time again (25 times ) in a row to heat up the starter so much that it dries out. A terrible idea in my opinion... I would guess it's pretty hard on the starter. It has not had the same issue since though...

HOWEVER, a couple days ago it would not start again. This time it would crank and crank but not actually start. This time they said they suspect it is an exhaust blockage or something.

I am so pissed off with this. I have only had the truck a little over a month and it's been to the shop 2 times for not starting! Both times they didn't actually fix or chance any parts.

At this point I don't even trust this truck, and I don't feel safe with it having my wife and daughter out in it when it's so cold.
Old January 30th, 2014, 6:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

exhaust restriction in a new truck...unlikely
have to say I never heard of moisture problem in a starter before either
Old January 30th, 2014, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Well, day 2 at the dealership. They told me the battery tested fine. And here ya go. They fixed nothing related to the problem. After a long debate with the service writer, we decided to keep it there another day to se if they can duplicate the problem.
Another day or 2 and it would have been in the shop longer than in my own driveway.
Feeling frustrated.
Shoulda kept my old truck I guess. It has never been for work.

Originally Posted by tech2
could be a bad battery. Battery "Lot rot" develops on new vehicles that sit for long periods of inactivity before sale. Have the battery checked out first before attempting any diagnosis.
Old January 30th, 2014, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

possible bad crank position sensor.... had the same issue with my 04 silverado with it starting fine then stalling out and not starting then it would be fine. thought it might've been a fuel pump but replaced the crank position sensor and it fixed the issue... $35 part at your local store....
Old January 30th, 2014, 3:44 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mdavew
possible bad crank position sensor.... had the same issue with my 04 silverado with it starting fine then stalling out and not starting then it would be fine. thought it might've been a fuel pump but replaced the crank position sensor and it fixed the issue... $35 part at your local store....
Welcome to the forum mdavew,
Thanks for the input , that is what makes the forum work...
Old January 30th, 2014, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mdavew
Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum mdavew,
Thanks for the input , that is what makes the forum work...
no problem.... i also just saw this was a brand new truck. might not be the issue but who knows with the way they roll them off the assembly these days. plus if you just got it, it should technically be under warranty right?

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado - Low Battery Voltage?