Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Silverado - Low Battery Voltage?

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2014, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tkmotor
I have had the same problem wit mine and also yesterday when I started my truck the my link screen went black shut truck off 2 times and the screen came back on had the truck 2 weeks 310 miles
I've seen discussions in another forum about replacing some starters as well as the TSB. Some are also finding loose battery cables. There is a "calibration" for MyLink to address the blank screen and other issues. Mine stays on phone after a call is completed and does not return to radio. I'm having the calibration done this week.
Old January 19th, 2015, 11:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2014 Sliverado battery issues

I didnt drive for a period of 14 days. Went to start it and the battery was stone cold dead. Not even a click. Charged it for over an hr and it reluctantly started.
The dealer said the battery was bad and they replaced it. Truck sat for ten days, battery dead again. Go back to the shop, battery cks fine. The service writer says there are back ground items in the dash that are a constant draw, and I can expect this to happen again. This is a problem created by Chevrolet, and obviously they dont know how to fix it.

My second issue is a slight vibration/resonant noise that occurs from 58-60MPH
Its not related to tires, but its either the drive line or exhaust system.
Any ideas. Larry in western Ky
Old February 21st, 2015, 7:13 AM
CF Beginner

Default Brand New Dead Truck

Hi,

I'm brand new here and brand new to trucks.

Just bought a new 2wd with locking rear differential, crew cab, long boxed Silverado with trailer package.

I had it one night and it has only 56 km on it. I woke up in the morning to take it to work and "DEAD BATTERY!" It just clicked when I turned the key.

I had roadside come to jump it, but that did nothing. So, I've had it towed back to the dealership.

I just wanted to add to the conversation. I'm glad (yet obviously not glad) to read of everyone else's similar problems. I'll be sure to check with dealership about battery "lot rot," moisture in the starter, and the "flapper."

I got this truck for hunting and outdoors stuff. I'm already missing my Cadillac CTS. Perhaps, deer wouldn't have looked so bad strapped on the hood after all (sarcasm intended lol)
Old February 27th, 2015, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Angry 200 miles and won't turn over

Picked my 2014 up Monday night. Thursday morning, it would not turn over. I put it on a charger for 10 minutes at 15A, all is well. Took it directly to dealer who stated battery was good and no parasitic draw. Dealer stated "we had the doors open a lot while prepping it, maybe the battery was low"... But that was ~175 highway miles ago, I'm not buying that line. After sitting at work all day, battery dead again. Roadside assistance jumped it and I took it directly back to the dealer. Dealer wants to replace battery, why not? We'll see what's next. I've never used it, but I am researching Wisconsin's lemon law. BTW, this is my 7th Sivlerado - '95, '95, '00, '04, '08, '12 and now the '14. I have never has any issues before this. Of the ~200 miles I put on the truck, ~40 were to and from the dealer. Not a happy camper...
Old February 28th, 2015, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default more no turn over condition

OK, the dealer replaced the battery Friday.

Saturday morning (6 degrees F) another no-turn over condition.

Put the charger on and it immediately turned green indicating the battery was still fully charged. After sitting overnight in the cold, this seems to indicate no parasitic draw.

So what can cause this? Time to put my engineering degree to work!

How about a higher-than-normal resistance between the battery and the starter? I thought this to be possible, so I wiggled the red cables exiting the black plastic enclosure near the battery positive terminal - viola, it turned over and started! I think this is a significant clue!

I will go back to the dealer with this Monday morning. Hopefully it may help some of the others that are having the same issue.
Old March 1st, 2015, 8:15 AM
CF Beginner

Default Check Starter

Originally Posted by blacklake
OK, the dealer replaced the battery Friday.

Saturday morning (6 degrees F) another no-turn over condition.

Put the charger on and it immediately turned green indicating the battery was still fully charged. After sitting overnight in the cold, this seems to indicate no parasitic draw.

So what can cause this? Time to put my engineering degree to work!

How about a higher-than-normal resistance between the battery and the starter? I thought this to be possible, so I wiggled the red cables exiting the black plastic enclosure near the battery positive terminal - viola, it turned over and started! I think this is a significant clue!

I will go back to the dealer with this Monday morning. Hopefully it may help some of the others that are having the same issue.
Hey,

Have them check/replace the starter. They did that for mine as there's a recall on Silverado starters that show these symptoms. GM is WELL AWARE of this issue! The Service manager showed me the technical bulletin/recall paper work directly himself. It lists all the symptoms listed in these forms that people have been reporting.

Good luck with your truck. Mine works great now.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 8:33 AM
CF Beginner

The following is from another forum:

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

you need to tell them to have their tech to call GM tech line, there is a problem....

The Mexican starters !!!! they gave me a completely different part # for a starter to correct the problem ! take this to your dealer.... here is the new starter pt # 12655055

Don’t let them order another one from the parts catalog or you will get the same thing.

I work for a Chevy dealer, i have a 2014 Silverado that had the same problem.

I'm the parts manager for Cambe Chevrolet. the new starter has worked every time.

good luck with yours.

My dealer told me there was not a TSB on this. But I found this:

2014 Silverado Starting problems - Page 8 - 2014/2015 Silverado & Sierra Issues, Troubleshooting, & Recalls/Service Bulletins - GM-Trucks.com

Scroll down to the post from luke3434
Old March 3rd, 2015, 7:21 PM
CF Beginner

Recommended 12655055 starter and 24263128 right side inspection cover replaced today per bulletin PIT5266C (bulletin states issue is temp related). Started OK upon pickup, but temp was in the high 20's. It will be -6 F for a low tomorrow night, so we will see...

Dealer is at strike 3.

I love this truck, it is the best of the lot (7th Silverado) and want this to work out...
Old March 4th, 2015, 7:43 AM
CF Beginner

My 2014 Silverado, when the motor is cold, the starter engages, the motor fires, then the starter keep turning. I feel this will eventually cause a problem. Larry in western Ky.
Old March 28th, 2015, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Question 2014 randomly not charging

On my drive last night I noticed that battery voltage gauge was sitting at the bottom of acceptable range. When I got home I turned it off and put a scan tool on it. When I restarted the voltage came back to normal and read 14.7 Volts. I don't if this could be related to low battery voltage forum.