Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2014 Silverado Noise

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2014, 2:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Silverado Noise

I bought a new 2014 silverado back in february. I already have about 6500 miles on it. I have the strangest noise like a grinding popping or clicking noise sometimes when in reverse. It also does it when turning left sometimes. The funny thing is it really only does it when the roads are wet. If I walk around in the bed of the truck I can hear it as well but not as aggressive as when the truck is on. I've had it to the dealer twice to try and fix it but they keep telling me nothing is wrong because they cant duplicate the noise. Anybody had any problems with this or would anyone know what it could be? I did notice my shock was a little rusty. I pointed that out to the dealer and he said it was the white paint coming off from the rancho z71 shock. I'm at a loss but its really embarrasing for a new truck to make this noise at times. I just cant believe the noise is worse when the roads are wet. Craziest thing ever.
Old April 1st, 2014, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

This would be a long shot, but maybe a body mount(s)? It might make sense if you're transferring weight on the frame when you're in motion, changing directions, and moving around. When they get wet it could intensify... Like I said it's a long shot. Good Luck.
Old April 1st, 2014, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

have the dealer change your rear end fluid and look for metal could be the something go on in there, people have been complaining of rear end problems you should have changed both front and rear end fluids anyway by now if its a 4X4 and make sure they use full synthetic front SAE 80W-90 Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 89021671, in Canada 89021672). Rear SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 19300457, in Canada 19300458).

Old April 2nd, 2014, 3:37 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Dgriffith,

I am sorry to hear you are having this concern while in reverse. I would like to reach out to your Chevrolet dealership on your behalf. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, and Chevrolet dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old April 4th, 2014, 8:03 PM
CF Junior Member

My GM limited slip rear end on my Savana 3500 sometimes locks up more when warmed up/hot. It stops when cool. Makes a noise when turning or backing in of out of a parking space or other sharp turn. More noticeable when on wet or sandy roads. Never really bothers me. Like suggested above it might be that. Except that you said it does it sometimes while walking around the truck. That is weird.
Old April 5th, 2014, 7:07 AM
CF Beginner

Wow max sorry to hear that

Last edited by CCLB4X4Dually; April 5th, 2014 at 7:10 AM.
Old April 5th, 2014, 9:44 AM
CF Junior Member

I don't think it's really a problem with my van. I hope it's not a real problem for dgriffith and we find out what was their determination of the noise.
Old April 15th, 2014, 7:51 AM
CF Junior Member

dealer never could duplicate the problem. they did change the left rear shock but it did not correct it. i thought it was fixed because i went for several weeks without any noise. it poured the rain this morning and the noise is back. its a crunching rubbing sound. i can even step on the running board and get it to make the noise since the truck is wet underneath now. everytime i turn left it makes the noise as well at just idling speed. its a weird problem. im going to take it back to the dealer some time but im sure i will get the same response--cannot duplicate.
Old April 15th, 2014, 8:28 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

are you in auto 4wd when the noise occurs?
Old April 16th, 2014, 7:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
are you in auto 4wd when the noise occurs?
No I'm in 2wd. The funny thing is it only does this when it's getting wet underneath. I never hear it on a dry day.

Quick Reply: 2014 Silverado Noise