Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

2500 converter kicking out

Search this Thread

Old November 4th, 2013, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2500 converter kicking out

I have 03 gmc 2500hd love the the truck. but I can not go far with it when I going down the rd on flat ground the converter will kick out and sometime go back in but most of the time it will stay out I replace the converter in di nothing ..can someone help me please

Last edited by rjvanalphen; November 4th, 2013 at 6:09 AM.
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:16 PM
CF Junior Member

I'd be happy to help but I need a little more clarification of what's going on. Give me speeds you are traveling at and if there is any kind of shudder going on. Also how are you gauging converter releasing and locking? Solely by RPM?
Old November 5th, 2013, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

normal when iam going down the road 55 when it lock in at 55 rpm run about 19, kick out it runs about 23 give or take if iam any were over sixty nine out of ten time it kick out ..80 foget about it it run a bout 3000 ... no shudder
Old November 5th, 2013, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

when iam going down the rd 55 rpm lock in run about 19 kick out run a bout 23 give or take no shudder at all if doing over 65 most the time kick out .75 to 80 truck runs about 2800 kick out
Old November 5th, 2013, 7:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Do you have a check engine light coming on. Cause there should be a check engine light coming on for a code p0741 for TCC stuck off if that is the case. The only other thing I'd be curious of is your brake pedal position switch. If the switch is intermittently shorting causing it to send false closed signals to TCM it will disengage the torque converter. That could be an area to look at also. Otherwise if it is indeed the torque converter unable to stay locked up on its own there should be a check engine light setting with that DTC.
Old November 6th, 2013, 3:38 AM
CF Beginner

yes when iam going down the rd around between 75 and 80 the light will start flashing .as soon as I bring my speed back down the light will go off.. I will check to day for any code ...I did change the brake switch this past weekend.didnt make a different. thank you for your help I will get to you as soon I find out on any codes
Old November 6th, 2013, 10:57 PM
CF Junior Member

The light would not flash and then go off for a torque converter DTC. Or any other DTC that will turn on check engine light due to emission related DTC's. but let me know what you find and pull for codes
Old November 12th, 2013, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

sorry have not got back to you sooner. hook truck up to tech 2 no code found the only thing that we did find was a miss fire on 1 we cleared out the miss fire to see if it would come back up but so far nothing came back up and now the truck converter is staying lock in ..been driving for half a week now been good . we waiting to see if it come up with a miss fire a gain and see if it on the same cylinder if not then we looking at the crank sensor. another thing we were looking at I have a aftermarket car starter on my truck and if sometime when I use it. if that what making it miss fire .. I have not use it so far going to give it a couple of week be fore I try it to see what happen thank for you help so far