Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

4.8l Means horseys right?

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2013, 7:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleeper project!

So i have recently purchased a 1999 silverado ls 2WD 6 lug 3 door 4.8l vortec. It has 304k miles and still runs like a champion, Me and a friend had a race, he has a 5.7 hemi x-tended cab short bed, and his truck has like 350 hp.... lol, He was just blowing me away from stand still, well we finally got up to 30 mph take offs, and i figured that if u let it kick into over drive then **** it down into 3rd, the damn thing will start fish tailing on you. I think he beat me from 0 , 20 , and around 50, but that was in the middle of my shift point, From 75 he was just getting stomped into the ground, but i dont see why? i have a 4l60e, and he has a 5 speed auto. So so far im liking it, ive been looking up performance up grades, Diablo Trinity programmer, transmission reprogrammer, ram air intake, and i think il take a go at a throttle body space. I would like to get some recommendations from you guys, not only on brands, but other bolts on, and performace parts. Il prouble end up going with hedman long tube headers, do a borla stinger and hollow my cat.
Attached Thumbnails 4.8l Means horseys right?-1425537_182826448590157_39705319_n.jpg  

Last edited by Rowdyc; November 25th, 2013 at 7:57 AM.
Old November 25th, 2013, 1:19 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're pointed in the right direction, but look pass the programmer, transmssion reprogrammer, ram air intake, and throttle body spacer. Look into custom tunes from blackbear performance or from a reputable shop around you with a dyno tune or who does in person tuning. They can tune the motor and transmssion to your liking. Intake you can just replace the tube and filter with the airaid MIT kit, dyno proven to be better than a full intake like k&n, aem, Volant, etc. a throttle body spacer won't do anything for you performance wise, maybe a cool whistle you hear every now and then. Headers are a good step, longtubes for sure. Have you looked into LPP? They have headers/y-pipe for like 450 and they're stainless. Gets rid of the cats so you don't have to hollow them out.

Bottom line, custom tune, Longtube headers, muffler of choice, airaid MIT kit, and look into a transmssion upgrade or 2. HD2 shift kit and a vette servo at the least. Check to see if you have a tranny cooler as well. If not, then add one
Old November 25th, 2013, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

What's your thoughts on aftermarket fuel injectors?
Old November 26th, 2013, 5:14 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Eh really don't come into play unless you do a cam/head package deal. Not pushin enough power to warrant the bigger injectors. Check out doin an electric fan swap as well. 2005-2006 silverado radiator and fan setup is what you need then a harness via blackbear performance or Nelson tuning
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:06 PM
CF Beginner

Thank-you for your information, I talked to my local master mechanic, he was telling me that most bolt-ons I have listed would increase power, except for the programmer, but he said I was better off letting a tuning shop do it for the best performance increase. He told me if I ever use a aftermarket ram/cold air intake I may see a very slight chance of HP on paper but not feeling wise, also its not worth running one on a pickup if your big on off-road use do to the lack of filtering.
Old November 27th, 2013, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Why finish off a dying engine? Your money would be better sprnt on rebuilding the engine or replacing it with a 5.3
Old November 28th, 2013, 1:12 AM
CF Beginner

Well danny, My 4.8 vortec is one of the best sounding pickups that ive ever heard! Before i bought her i always seen it around town and hearing that high pitched exhaust tone, like on a old corvette/383 stroker. It would be a foolish decision of me to drop over $1500 in parts on it since it has 304K on it. I will prouble be slapping a 5.3/6.0 in it in the future, but balancing college expenses, and trying to build a sleeper out of a old big 10, i just do not have the time or money. I see the perfect chances to give it a little bit of gas, or maybe slide the *** end out of it all the time, but damn i really do not appreciate it reving into 4,500RMPs without a little extra airflow and cooling. Also i do not feel like i have the 60-90 passing power that i need. I know the think will get up and pass someone, but i would like to do it in about 1/3 of the time it takes. Also i cannot get past a little tick that goes ape **** everytime it down shifts, i cannot hear it at idle or around cruising speed, but once she get about 3k it gets loud... If thats a big deal it will probably be parked till I can but a new engine, or just get a newer model truck. This past year i've been doing so much engine work that its just about drivin me nuts, it seems like every vehicle i but has a proublem, but i also want everything to run like new. Thats why my big 10 has a new 454 in it, and a blown out rear end lol.