Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 3:27 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications & Four Wheel Drive Guides
Print Wikipost

4 wheel drive problem, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2011, 4:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive problem, any ideas?

Hey guys, im new to the forum. I've rebuilt old cars and fixed almost everything on a vehicle, but this is my first 4 wheel drive problem and can't seem to find anyone with the same. (1999 Silverado, New style, Auto 4WD)
Here's the deal:
I put my truck in 4hi yesterday just as I always do every once in a while to keep it active throughout the summer. I put it in 4 hi, then couldn't get it out. The indicator lights just blinked and nothing happened. Got up and went to work this morning, indicator light was back in 2hi. However I could tell it was in 4low. Now when I came back home this evening, My indicator lights arent showing anything but there is power to them because they light up when i start the truck for a split second. Plus I am still in 4low.
I'm freakin' out here! What am I lookin at?
Any help is appreciated.

B Jangle
Old October 25th, 2011, 5:08 PM
CF Beginner

Actuator sounds like it's locked in
Old October 25th, 2011, 6:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed. the actuator mounted on front diff is not disengaging right. most parts stores carry or can get, typically bout $100, easy to change out.
Old October 25th, 2011, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

It has the stock actuator on it still, for that price its worth exchanging even it is isn't my problem just to be safe I'll give it a try. Any thing I should be concerned about changing it?

Thanks

Bo Jangle
Old October 25th, 2011, 9:14 PM
CF Active Member

If its still in 4lo then possible problem is transfer case motor. First I'd check all grounds especially below drivers door on frame, check fuses and clean connectors. Had same problem on my 2001 and ended up a bad t/c motor and module behind instrument cluster on left. The actuator on front end only engages the front axle and has nothing to do with gear selection. Also you must be in neutral and moving around 5 mph to engage or disengage 4 lo

Last edited by ToooTall1; October 25th, 2011 at 9:18 PM.
Old October 26th, 2011, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

My concern is I have no lights on my 4 wheel dribe selector. But I know the front driveshaft is spinning so would that still mean my tc motor could be bad?
Old October 26th, 2011, 10:19 AM
CF Active Member

Very good chance of a bad T/C motor or module. If you decide to buy a T/C motor stay away from dorman chinese crap products as I went thru 3 new before I purchased a rebuilt one from A-1 Cardone. I got my module on E-bay used as the new ones are way out of my pocket book. The motor is not hard to replace but you must install the new one in the same gear position. You don't have alot of working space when removing or installing the motor.
Old October 26th, 2011, 9:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They had a problem with the switch in 99. I have replaced a few for various reasons. You should stop driving it in 4wd before it gets damaged
Old October 28th, 2011, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

So my buddy swears its the 4 wheel drive switch on top of the transfer case. I ordered one ill switch it tonight. Think that could be it?
Old September 17th, 2013, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default 4WD is squirrelly...

Here recently (last couple of months) the Service 4WD message light has begun coming on after 5-10 miles driving. When I turned the engine off, the light would likewise go off for about 5 or so miles before coming back on. Upon returning home, I went through the drive ranges just to make sure each was engaging, which sounded like it was, though I did not drive very far in any of the selections.

Yesterday, however, as the light came on as expected I switched to 4WH while moving. It made kind of a whirring sound so I didn't leave it engaged for more than 5 seconds before selecting 2WH again. Immediately thereafter, a strong hot electrical smell filled the cab, but quickly dissipated as I continued to drive.

I've heard horror stories about the $$$$ needed the fix these problems. The irony is that I very seldom use the 4WD option. It was just one of those things I had to have on my first truck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

This probably isn't the way to post a comment but I didn't see a better way on the forum. This is my first, as a newby.

Quick Reply: 4 wheel drive problem, any ideas?