Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

4 wheel drive stuck

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2011, 8:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 wheel drive stuck

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has had this problem. It sounds as if it is common but id like some insight. My 1999 silverado new body style push button 4x4 is acting up. It is stuck in 4 wheel drive because my front shaft is turning but there is no power to my front wheels. My service 4x4 light comes on every once in a while. My dash says I'm in 2hi though. I replaced my front actuator but nothing changed. I'm going to change out my tcase encoder motor because I think that is my problem. So I was wondering if anyone can say for sure that is my problem. I had a garage check for codes but they said it was throwing too many codes to determine the problem. Also... I was wondering, if I do replace my encoder motor will I not have to manually put the transfer case in to 2 wheel drive? Thanks for taking the time to read all this, any insight or expetiences would be very much appreciated !!! B Jangle
Old January 15th, 2012, 9:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know. I feel for you, man, because my Tahoe is doing the same baloney. From what I've read on lots of forums, this is a really really common problem that GM has done it's best to avoid a recall on. Really ticks me off.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took apart my dash 4WD switch but that wasn't the problem. Although I've read the the older switches (around 2000 year model) were suspect. My 2004 switch was in good shape. I bought a transfer case encoder motor at a junkyard. It was a real pain to replace it, but I got it in and that was the problem. Shifts in and out of 4WD perfectly now.
Old March 10th, 2012, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

1. I changed the 4 wheel drive selector switch in the dash because i was getting check 4 wheel drive on the display.
    I turn the key to the on position and I go back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel drive. I start the vehicle and after about 5 minutes the check 4 wheel drive light comes back on.
    i get home and turn the vehicle off, turn the key to the on position and can change between 2 and 4 wheel drive???
any help would be awesome.
Old October 6th, 2012, 7:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Had the same problem. Dealership replace a wire and some connectors.